Heritage Owners Club

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx as used by Dweezil Zappa

bobmeyrick

So, if you run it into another amp, does the character of the amp interfere with a sound selected from Ax fx?

no- I use FRFR Carvin LM12A's- does not color the sound! I have the Axe-fx Std and it is all they say and more- best $ I ever spent on music equipment!

if you use an amp you can use that same amp's power to color your sound by disabling the amp section...if you want to use your fav cab, disable the cab section...you can do as i do and use the FRFR to have colorless palette and use whatever setting to achieve the desired sound...Marshall head, Engl head, Bogner, head, Fender head and then combine with whatever cabinet you want- Orange, Fender, Marshall...etc... and you can find sounds you like and save the presets...

so, if one were to gig out with the axe fx, does one just plug the ax fx into a speaker cab, or do you need to plug it into an amp?
That's one of the features that make the Axe-Fx so versatile, it can be used in a number of different setups. The easiest way to understand how it works is to understand it is actually a combination pre-amp & efx processor, but it also models output amps & spkr cabs as well. This allows you to use as much or as little of the entire signal chain as you choose inside the Axe-Fx itself, or substitute any of those parts with actual off-board components.

For instance if you want to use the Axe-Fx for everything you can simply show up at a gig with the Axe-Fx & a MIDI foot-controller and run it through the PA with the Axe-Fx doing all the pre-amp, power-amp, efx, & speaker cab modeling while the PA adds no color of it's own, this method is a favorite of touring bands because it really simplifies setup and gives such a consistent sound from one venue to another.

But lets say your playing somewhere that for whatever reason you don't want to use the PA, you can use the kind of rig I'm using. I still use the Axe-Fx for all parts of the chain as far as tone is concerned but instead of the PA I run it through my own FRFR power-amp (Carvin DCM1540L) and FRFR speakers.

On the other hand if you wanted to run it through a guitar amp you could either just use the efx while using the amps own pre amp, power amp, & spkr or you could plug into the amps efx loop return and use only the amps power-amp & spkr while the Axe-Fx handles all the pre-amp and efx duties.

These are just a few of the possibilities, there are several more ideas that folks have come up with that work equally as well. A good way to understand just what the Axe-Fx is capable of is to dive into the Axe-Fx WIKI, see it here; http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

no- I use FRFR Carvin LM12A's- does not color the sound! I have the Axe-fx Std and it is all they say and more- best $ I ever spent on music equipment!

if you use an amp you can use that same amp's power to color your sound by disabling the amp section...if you want to use your fav cab, disable the cab section...you can do as i do and use the FRFR to have colorless palette and use whatever setting to achieve the desired sound...Marshall head, Engl head, Bogner, head, Fender head and then combine with whatever cabinet you want- Orange, Fender, Marshall...etc... and you can find sounds you like and save the presets...

That just sounds fantastic. Mtpatty - i know you've tried to educate me before about Ax Fx. And it really does make more sense than buying multiple, costly amps. Another question: if a new pedal comes out that I like the sound of, does Ax Fx eventually update it's data base to include new equipment as it comes along, at least, eventually?

That just sounds fantastic. Mtpatty - i know you've tried to educate me before about Ax Fx. And it really does make more sense than buying multiple, costly amps. Another question: if a new pedal comes out that I like the sound of, does Ax Fx eventually update it's data base to include new equipment as it comes along, at least, eventually?

Just put the new in front of whatever pedal you are using (or you can insert in the effects loop of the Axe-Fx) just like a regular amp.

Just put the new in front of whatever pedal you are using (or you can insert in the effects loop of the Axe-Fx) just like a regular amp.

I think what Koula is asking is more about how and when Fractal Audio updates their database of amp/effects sounds not so much how to use it. Do they do firmware updates or something that includes new models or do you have to wait and spend another $2k?

Axe-Fx (Fractal Audio) updates fairly often...but what is also particularly cool, is that other people store their presets in the bank...so, if you like someone else's presets, you don't have to invent the wheel- you simply copy it for your own use...(and then obviously you could modify further)...really is the best piece of equipment ever! (IMHO)

I really wish you could go through and build amps at the schematic level with these things.

Would be a really cool tutorial in amp building theory. Peavey's Revalver does this in light sort of way.

In essence you can. You can change the biasing and a large number of other "internal" parameters that quite frankly are above my head so I don't mess with them.

In essence you can. You can change the biasing and a large number of other "internal" parameters that quite frankly are above my head so I don't mess with them.

You mean like tubes and whatnot? You can change those?

I suppose I am just really afraid of saving up that kind of money and spending it on something I can't even try out for fear that I won't like it.

Maybe one of these days I will get the opportunity to try one out.

I have heard some wonderful guitar tones from Overlouds TH2 amp sims. They really have that 'real amp' breathing that I had heretofore not really heard.

I think what Koula is asking is more about how and when Fractal Audio updates their database of amp/effects sounds not so much how to use it. Do they do firmware updates or something that includes new models or do you have to wait and spend another $2k?

On the Axe-FX standard they are at firmware 11.0 now!!! The Axe-Fx II (which was just released) is on firmware 3. Of course they are going to incorporate EVERY pedal out there. But for approximately $1200-1500 you get 70 amps, 40 cabs, 10 mics, 15 Overdrive/distortion pedals, delays, compressions, noise gates, choruses, modulations, EQs, ect.......

For the money it is just an Unbelievable value.

I just bought an additional 40 cabs from a third party (Red Wire IR) which mics these cabs using 15-20 different mics in every conceivable position. It cost $125, not necessary, but take the realism to a whole another level.

But again, remember you do need a power source (I use my powered studio monitors) and I run it through my recording mixer Boss 1600.

Here is a pic of my home studio, small compact, and efficient!!! (plus it sounds very professional, except for my playing!!!)

_DSC6041.jpg

_DSC6038.jpg

I suppose I am just really afraid of saving up that kind of money and spending it on something I can't even try out for fear that I won't like it.

I have heard some wonderful guitar tones from Overlouds TH2 amp sims. They really have that 'real amp' breathing that I had heretofore not really heard.

If you want to hear my awful playing, let me know and I can post sound clips. Everything I have recorded has been from the Axe-Fx.

I just made some incredible Dumble (Larry Carlton) and Tweed Deluxe amps last night. I finished up my clean Twin archtop amps and Deluxe Reverb amps too!!!!

But again, remember you do need a power source (I use my powered studio monitors) and I run it through my recording mixer Boss 1600.[/img]

I'm actually looking at Atomic Amps for the amplification. Classic looks and I can hide the AxeFx behind it at shows where appearance is important.

How's the reliabity of the AxeFx? Any software or hardware issues known?

If you want to hear my awful playing, let me know and I can post sound clips. Everything I have recorded has been from the Axe-Fx.

I just made some incredible Dumble (Larry Carlton) and Tweed Deluxe amps last night. I finished up my clean Twin archtop amps and Deluxe Reverb amps too!!!!

would love to hear a tone like Rock Around the Clock if you can dial one up. :)

Isn't that the risk you take with everything. If you buy new from Fractal Audio (you can only buy direct from them) you have a try out time period. You can't buy a Standard or Ultra anymore new, only used. Personally, my Standard is all and more than I will ever need.

If you buy used, they hold their value so you might end up only losing a few bucks if you don't like it.

The key to the Axe-Fx is "What is your application?". I think for recording it is a no-brainer home run. For live use it is more like the late 80s-90s in hauling around a rack unit.

would love to hear a tone like Rock Around the Clock if you can dial one up. :)

Well, I don't do song request (ha, ha, I would have to learn the song). But list some amps you want to hear played through which guitars and I will send along some clips!!!!

Archived