Heritage Owners Club

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx as used by Dweezil Zappa

bobmeyrick

I caught Zappa Plays Zappa a couple of weeks ago at the Leicester De Montfort Hall, towards the end of their UK tour. An excellent gig, as one would expect from the son of Frank, but what intrigued me was Dweezil's rig. Previously when I'd seen ZPZ, his amplification set up had included what looked like a small wardrobe of effects and a couple of different amps. This time all he had was the one Axe-Fx unit into a couple of powered cabs. The range of sounds was tremendous, with some great recreations of Frank's classic sounds. I've also just acquired DZ's"Live - In The Moment" CD, which is his "Shut Up And Play your Guitar" album. It's a good advert for Fractal Audio!

The thread title should of course read "...as used by..." Oops!

...that and you then end up in the pursuit of the (x+1).0 upgrade because it as more processing power and 5 more amps. I got in that loop with Line6. Got first pod. Money spent. Pod2.0 came out. Money spent. Pod Pro came out money spent. PodXT came out. Money spent. PodX3 came out. Money spent.

These sorts of rigs are on the road to obsoletion as soon as they come out. That is where the classic tube comes up. It is what it is. It has no upgrade outside of the limited mods and me just learning to play better!

For a tech geek or gigging musician who doesn't mind the tech pursuit of more processing power and number of amp mods, the tube amp is at a clear disadvantage.

Im trying one out next week. Ive been hanging out for a while to put one through its paces with some one who knows how to drive one.

Hope I dislike it though I cant see why I would after reading all the positive review's on the web. I just dont want to want one.

Kuz has one and loves it (I believe). There is also another member who has one and also loves it. I've tried to get a decent demo the past two years at the LA Amp Show but all I hear is space bleeps. This past year Dweezil was there pretty much all day Saturday not so much doping a demo as having the guy (the owner of Fractal Audio) dial in his tones. It makes me wonder how easy it is for us mortals to dial that thing in if Dweezil needs that mush help. I kept hoping to hear a good amp sim, but Dweezil seemed to be the lord, god, king of space bleeps this year.

I think from Dweezil's point of view (or that of any touring musician needing a wide variety of sounds) it's the perfect bit of kit - all those classic FZ sounds (and more!) in one box. On the first track of that "Live in the Moment" CD he uses a sound uncannily like the violin of Don "Sugarcane" Harris. The evolution of his gear can be found here - http://www.dweezilza...il-s-guitar-rig

Compare his 2008 rig with the latest 2011 rig.

dzRIG08e_flowchart-thumbnail.jpg

DZ2011babyRIG%20tumbnail.jpg

The full size images can be found at the above link.

Yeah. That's just the thing. I am pretty simple in my amp setups and most of what comes in the AxeFx would go unused.

No you wouldn't. That is the beauty of the Axe-FX, you can use as little or as much as you want. I just bought some new virtual IR cabs with all the speakers and mics you could want. I just have the Axe-Fx standard, you don't need an Ultra or an Axe-Fx II.

Every amp sounds just like the real deal, especially with the new IR cab & mics I just got.

Until you hear it through studio monitors or after recording...... No One can tell it's not the real tube amp. Anyone that says other wise is either a tube snob or never played thru an Axe-Fx with good studio monitors.

The Axe-Fx is all I play at home and I have some great tube amps.

No offense to any Line6 users, but this is a night and day difference ( and yea, I tried all the Line6 stuff before to compare. no digital fizz with the axe-fx.)

Finally, Dweezil is still using the first generation Axe-Fx (ultra) because he wasn't impressed enough with the Axe II to change.

I believe my Ultra may very well be the best investment I ever made as far as guitar gear. I've had it for more then 18 months now and virtually all my other amps & efx are just collecting dust now. It not only replaces ALL my amps and efx but gives me many, many more that I would never even have had a chance of playing, let alone owning. For instance how many folks actually get to play a Dumble OD or a Trainwreck? The best part is that you basically have a VERY well stocked music store at your fingertips. While it is true that for some folks there may be some 'deer in the headlights' moments, but once you get the hang of it there's actually very little adjusting required, or rather there's as much or as little as you want. It is also the ONLY rig I know of that works equally well with electric and acoustic guitars. As for the price, just by selling off my current gear I could easily have paid for the Ultra several times over.

Make that $2200. If I really wanted to get fancy, $800 for the Atomic Amps powered cab and another $750 for the MIDI controller. No joke on the price.

You can buy all that used at a lower price. You can use a $100 MIDI controller (I don't use any, I use my laptop and the free Axe-edit software). It is true that it will cost about $1200-1500 for the Standard/Ultra and you need some sort of monitors, but after that it is a GREAT value for what you get. Think about never having to mic an amp, never needing another OD, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, Tremolo, Compressor, noise gate, ect pedals...... 70 amps......

Hey to each there own and I have stopped trying to influence people around here. People know what they like.... for me for home use and recording..... I could sell all my amps (but I like them to play out on and I just plain like my amps too!!!)

Don't get me wrong, Kuz. I really want one. I've said before I have tried so hard to like Line6 because I really liked the idea. Now it seems that Fractal Audio has succeeded to a level where Line6 hasn't quite gotten. I just don't have the money and dont forsee having it anytime soon. Even at used rates, it is too outside my budget. That could change, but for now....

The rig I'd say looks most attractive to me is the AxeFX II through the

Atomic Amps mono-block Reactor FR 50w power amp:

bc_poweramp.jpg

through into one of the Atomic Amps passive Reactor cab:

bc_cab.jpg

The reason is... I can hide the AxeFX II behind this classic looking quarter stack at shows where technology is not only not appreciated... but actually shunned.

I know of two 2nd hand stores that has one of these. I love how the controls are layed out and labeled, but that's about as much as I know about the amps. I cannot justify the price on a used solid state amp, regardless how cool/retro it looks.

Never heard a price on them... just heard they were very good sounding.

I saw Zappa Plays Zappa in Asheville, NC and of course it was great, cause you could hear the instruments. That was true when I heard his father as well, balance and clarity. Next up, was the headliner: Dream Theatre. They played at threshold of pain volumes and the noise level was about the same volume, walk down the left aisle to hear bass, down the right aisle to hear Petrucci. Back to our story.... the news I heard was: the Axe fx people have a waiting list, populated by those who paid early at around $1800, and then got wait-listed due to all of those coughing up $2400 (disclaimer on the exact price). The wait-listers were given the choice to have it now at the new higher price. I wouldn't ask that of customers, but it speaks highly of the modeling/rendering, I'd love to hear one.

so, if one were to gig out with the axe fx, does one just plug the ax fx into a speaker cab, or do you need to plug it into an amp?

Well, it doesn't have a power section to drive a cabinet.

People are doing everything from running direct to house at shows to running it in the effects loop of standard amplifier to running it through powered PA cabs to just running it like an 80's rack set up with a power amp and then a passive cabinet.

I saw Zappa Plays Zappa in Asheville, NC and of course it was great, cause you could hear the instruments. That was true when I heard his father as well, balance and clarity. Next up, was the headliner: Dream Theatre. They played at threshold of pain volumes and the noise level was about the same volume, walk down the left aisle to hear bass, down the right aisle to hear Petrucci. Back to our story.... the news I heard was: the Axe fx people have a waiting list, populated by those who paid early at around $1800, and then got wait-listed due to all of those coughing up $2400 (disclaimer on the exact price). The wait-listers were given the choice to have it now at the new higher price. I wouldn't ask that of customers, but it speaks highly of the modeling/rendering, I'd love to hear one.

That is definitely pretty crappy to not at least finish out the waiting list OR give them the new one at what they paid for the Ultra as a show of good faith. BUT... it is their company.They can do as they wish and, if it is wrong enough and pisses off enough people, they will go under. I am guessing this won't even be a blip on the radar.

The only complaints I have heard so far is "Why bother with the II if it really doesn't sound any better than the Ultra?"

Valid.

If I were a buyer, I'd probably just get the latest model and sit on it until there was a seriously substantial upgrade.

Well, it doesn't have a power section to drive a cabinet.

People are doing everything from running direct to house at shows to running it in the effects loop of standard amplifier to running it through powered PA cabs to just running it like an 80's rack set up with a power amp and then a passive cabinet.

So, if you run it into another amp, does the character of the amp interfere with a sound selected from Ax fx?

Archived