Heritage Owners Club

157 Nut issue...HELP!

knopfler74

Ok, I know you guys can answer this...probably

My 157 is having some issues holding its intonation once I've done some bending. I have some experience setting up guitars, assembling guitars etc, so I'm not at all completely lost. So here's my question..

What it the standard nut size on a 157?

I'm fairly sure I have a bone nut, unless I've gone NUTS and can't tell bone from corian or tusq

I'd like to put a Tusq nut on the guitar, both for sonic preference and also for playability. If bone nuts aren't cut nearly perfect, the strings WILL bind and when you bend all hell will break loose...

Any help would be great. I just wanna make sure I have the right size so I don't waste money ordering different nuts.

Thanks for your help, and I hope you're all having a great holiday season!

Matt

yup, it binds a tiny bit while tuning... When I finally looked it over closely, the G string slot is cut fairly poorly...

Thanks for the help

Matt

the nut needs lubrication...nut sauce

i use chapstick

Yeah, I'm going to get some graphite today and try that. If it isn't enough I guess I'll have to order files from Stew Mac and make some minor adjustments. Not a big deal, really. The guitar sounds and plays amazingly already, and a nut slot adjustment will put it into 'holy grail' territory as far as I'm concerned.

BTW: both of the last two replies and were worthy additions to the thread! How I managed to make it to 37 and still find nut jokes funny is beyond me, but hey, different strokes, right? (couldn't resist, sorry..)

Peace

Nut surgery undertaken today, and all is well! I hauled out the Stew Mac files and went to town. Actually, I only made slight adjustments, but they worked out perfectly! As of tonight I can't bend the darn thing out of tune, and I haven't even added graphite yet. I also lowered the action and adjusted the stop tail piece, and it seemed to make one heck of a difference.

Thanks for the advice/jokes. I can go back to sonic bliss and complete and total love of my 157 now. Man, this guitar is absolutely the best guitar I have ever played, hands down! At some point I may change the pups, but for now the Seth Lovers are working out for me.

Peace

Archived