Heritage Owners Club

Had been jonesing for a Leslie speaker for a long time, so got one a week ago. There are two models available, the g37 with a 100 watt tube pre/SS power, and the non-amplified G27. The choice was made for the G27 because of already having plenty of really nice sounding tube amps.

Currently am using my 50w Ceriatone HRM head through it, and the sonic results were really, really good, as in better than expected, and there were high expectations beforehand! Bass was more ample than I thought that the cab would have, and it was tight as well as warm and fat. Treble was there but not overdone at all. In person, the cab sounded warmer and fatter than in the factory demo tracks. As a guitar speaker, the sound works wonderfully well for the Dumble clone tone palette. Add the rotary effect, and the wonderful singing sustaining swirlies ensue...Both treble horn and bass rotor stop automatically facing straight forward. Speeds ramp up both up and down at a slow rate, with the decelerating rate faster then rate of speeding up.

There are trim knobs on the back of the cab for adjusting speed of both fast and slow speeds. In addition, a variable speed pedal is available as an option in addition to the two button footswitch for low and high speed on/off. The cab is very efficient, I drove it to very giggable sound levels with a 10 watt single ended tube amp. Takes up a relatively small stage footprint, about like a 1/12 combo amp. But at 92 pounds, better have a dolly or a couple roadies handy if your back is suspect... That 3/4 inch MDF is to blame, as well as for the top of the cab remaining relatively non-vibratory to the amp head perched on top for the same reason. That's great since between the amp and C-lator's 6 pre and power tubes replacement cost is well over 300 bucks for the rare, vintage units installed. Not slowly shaking them to death over time at loud volumes is good.

Effects sound great as well as interesting through a rotary speaker cab. Some sound better when cab is in non rotating mode. To me it's worth every stinking penny, even buying it new.

Am I the first HOC member to own one of the new Leslie guitar speakers?

212Mavguy - it's good to see you posting again. Congrats on this wonderful speaker cab! It sounds fantastic! To your question if anyone else has gotten such a cab, recently, with Leslie speaker in it -- I believe Horace just got one for a keyboard, and he said it sounds great with his guitar, too!

Enjoy! : )

Guest HRB853370

Now thats a new one by me! I thought Leslies were specifically for keyboards. My accordion teacher, back the 60's had a Cordovox with a Leslie cabinet. He could get B3 effects out of it. I can't imagine what a guitar would sound like through a Leslie. Maybe post some clips?

PS-arent there some good quality stompboxes that give a rotating effect as well?

Here you go, Will. The master at work. Man, what COULD have been had he not gotten on that chopper....It still gives me chills when he clicks his heels, backs up and lays into that solo. It's subtle in this version, but I'm pretty sure he's using a Leslie here. Either that, or the guy on keys is using it. Congrats, 212 Mav. Now you just need a Hammond B3 to go with it!

I've been wanting to try one since they were first announced several years ago. I've tried to get my hands on one at the NAMM show (2009-2010) but it seems each time I go past the booth someone elase is demoing it. I haven't hear to much on the web about it, I assume the cost of admission and the size is keeping many people away.

And for those posting the SRV clips - this is a different beast. SRV used the Leslie 16/Fender Vibratone. That was simply a fixed speaker with a rotating drum. This new guitar leslie (well it's several years old now) has the rotating drum for the lower frequencies and a rotating horn for the highs - just like the classic organ Leslie. This is more the Cream "Badge", Ringo "It don't come easy", Badfinger "No Matter What" sound - classic British Leslie guitar.

Congrats! I thought about getting one and just leaving it at church, but the cost has kept me away. I still kick myself for not buying that Leslie 122 that was modified for guitar. I could have picked it up for $400 back in the late '90s.

This might be a better example of Stevie with a Leslie. 212Mavguy, yes, please let us hear yours soon!

Different beast. SRV used a Leslie 16/Fender Vibratone which just has a fixed speaker and a rotating drum. This one has both the rotating drum for the low frequencies and a rotating horn for the highs - think British Leslie guitar ala "Badge", "It don't come easy", "No matter what".

212mavguy, that's an awesome piece of equipment. Don't know how many of you are familiar Jan Akkerman, the guitarist for the Danish rock band Focus. He's still playing, and many consider one of the all time greats. He, like Stevie and Frampton, used Leslie's extensively.

Some of you have seen amp discussions about the Mahaffay .Little Lanilei, a lunch box sized tube amp. Well that same guy builds a rotary wave cab that Akkerman and Frampton, both triple humbucker LP rocker's from back in the day, who now lean in a jazzier direction, regularly include in their touring rig.

Here's a youtube video of Akkerman, you can see the Lanilei Rotary mic'd up on the amp cabs behind him.

here's a product link

http://www.mahaffaya...rotary-wave.htm

(cannot for the life of me figure out how to embed a youtube video, or find a how to on the forum?!?!?!!?)

212Mavguy - it's good to see you posting again. Congrats on this wonderful speaker cab! It sounds fantastic! To your question if anyone else has gotten such a cab, recently, with Leslie speaker in it -- I believe Horace just got one for a keyboard, and he said it sounds great with his guitar, too!

Enjoy! : )

I'm picking it up tomorrow actually. A Motion Sound KBR-3D. Has 2x10 and a 2 speed rotary horn. Not a Leslie but still fun as all get out.

Horace

wow that's a really cool device, good idea to build one specifically for guitar

I have a leslie 16 side firing cab ( big monster cab from an organ ) as well as a vibratone cab they made in the '70's for gtr....they're both great but don't have the spinning horns for the high end

they soun dreally good though

I used them when we did a couple SRV tunes...cold shot, plus one off the jimmie/stevie album....funny to see people spin around & pay attention when I fired them up; pedal fx are cool, but you can't get the real sound of a spinning speaker firing all around a room like that unless you have a real leslie

other leslie gtr songs: "badge" by clapton, page's solo on "good time bad times" too, I think

I can't help but wonder how this would match up with John's Axe FX? Maybe side by side with a regular speaker. That would be interesting. I watched the demo clips and it puts out some great sounds. Enjoy Mav!!

yes, I wondered the same thing.

Yow!

Thanks for your kind replies! Am having a lot of fun with it. Gonna start rolling more tube amps through it today. Current amp is a Ceriatone 50w HRM/C-lator with all handpicked vintage old stock tubes, including Siemens EL34's. Next amp will be the Marsh Overlord Supreme 50w, again tubed vintage, this time the power section has a pair of tightly matched Sylvanis 6l6gc's, a personal favorite of Howard Alexander Dumble in his amp designs, and this particular, slightly modded clone of an Over Drive Supreme can be smooth or very agressive. Aready ran my Mesa Boogie Maverick and the Frank-en-Champ through it. Both of those were pretty sensational. Particularly, the way hopped up Frank-en-Champ was amazing in how loud and grindy in a good way it sounded through that Leslie.

Archived