Heritage Owners Club

Cooling fan

Joe

Yes, anytime you pull the heat away from the tube, you are reducing a contributor to what eventually will cause the metal to turn brittle and fracture. That is why Mesa and others usually have a cooling fan in their products.

Recently saw a guy with one for his home made rig. I'm definately adding one to my amp. Thanks.

Military research confirms that tube coolers do have significant effect on extending life of thermionic vacuum tubes, particularly the hotter running power tubes. The reason is that power tubes get their glass envelopes hot enough for the glass to become slightly more porous than at cold temps. This allows vacuum contamination and the eventual premature failure. I have and use two types of coolers, the finned and o-ringed Tube Coolers brand and the military/aerospace IERC tube coolers. Both types reduce microphonic behavior at least slightly, Both types work very well in their intended function of cooling the glass on 12__7 pre tubes as well as power tubes, all coolers must be properly selected for size of tube bottle diameter and length.

Military research confirms that tube coolers do have significant effect on extending life of thermionic vacuum tubes, particularly the hotter running power tubes. The reason is that power tubes get their glass envelopes hot enough for the glass to become slightly more porous than at cold temps. This allows vacuum contamination and the eventual premature failure. I have and use two types of coolers, the finned and o-ringed Tube Coolers brand and the military/aerospace IERC tube coolers. Both types reduce microphonic behavior at least slightly, Both types work very well in their intended function of cooling the glass on 12__7 pre tubes as well as power tubes, all coolers must be properly selected for size of tube bottle diameter and length.

Are these coolers not a small fan? I was thinking of installing a fan.

Are these coolers not a small fan? I was thinking of installing a fan.

Don't think they are just fans. If you do install a fan, I'd install it to pull the air over the tubes, rather than blowing on them.

That shield is to prevent RF noise escaping from the tubes from causing unwanted noise in output. Also cooks tubes inside it hotter than naked tube by far. Traps heat inside like tinfoil around a freshly baked potato. Sometimes the shield on preamp tubes helps reduce microphonics.

No, they are basically metal sleeves that are slipped directly on the tubes. No fan needed, they work by absorbing, then convecting and radiating heat away from the glass bottles.

Do they work well with amps that have the tubes suspended underneath (e.g. Fender Tweed Deluxe)? Are they just for the power tubes?

I have not seen shields on power tubes, although some makers might do that also. I think I'm understanding that the coolers that Mav is using are different from the metal sleeves that I'm referring to. I guess I'm a wee bit confused yet.

I have not seen shields on power tubes, although some makers might do that also. I think I'm understanding that the coolers that Mav is using are different from the metal sleeves that I'm referring to. I guess I'm a wee bit confused yet.

Don, google for Pearl Tube Coolers. All will be revealed :)

Archived