Heritage Owners Club

Lunch-tone Report DT-50/GT-10/HD400/HD500

barrymclark

Ok, I got to try another Line 6 DT-50 and it didn't seem to have the issues the first one I played did. ...and I still don't like it. It isn't that it sounded bad. I'd just say if you are looking to play music that is traditional to an amp type, you won't be too happy. For example, if you play rockabilly then you won't like the Fender-ish tones. That sort of thing. It does a bit better with the gainier amps. I just didn't like anything it did... other than turn off. It did that very well and the sound in the room was an improvement as a result. haha. I am being harsh. I am sure someone can get really good tones out of it for what they play. Just not me.

Then I went to the Line 6 and Roland wall where they had they floor effects/modelling units.

HD500 was the king. No doubt. In my opinion, thought headphones, the Line 6 HD500 takes the prize. I was able to fumble around a bit and figure things out. I got where there was no amp model assigned and it did a WONDERFUL jazz tone.

The HD400 and HD300 also sounded very good. If you find that sweet spot on a model, it is really, really nice sounding.

The Roland GT-10 was a disappointment. As much as I dig the Cube, I just didn't care for this at all. So much so that I just won't be bothering.

Althought I say the HD500 takes home the prize, take away points for how user unfriendly it is. I am sure once you get to know it, it is easy as pie. But until then or until you get a computer hooked up, you are going to be a bit lost.

That being said, what you get is amazing.The tones were solid and usable. Built like a tank. You also get Amp Farm which comes with a bunch more amps. I don't know how that works in conjunction with the HD500, but if you can save them down to the unit and use it live, then this thing really is a beast.

Also... I have found that I have really lost my taste for active pickups. I tried a guitar with EMGs for that metal sound... and I put it back opting for Seymours, Dimarzios and P90s. haha.

It is.

I will say this, though, about the DT-50: The demos I have heard where people were using the DT-50 for a power amp/cab section for the HD500, I heard some REALLY good tones.

Who knows, maybe this is setting up the next series of Vetta amps.

Problem is, if you want that set up, you are talking $500 (which isn't bad for what it is) and then the amp which can be $1300 for the single twelve combo, $1500 for the dual twelve and $2000 for the head/412 setup.

So... you are talking minimum of $1800 to a maximum of $2500 for the HD500/DT50 rig. Not cheap... not Axe-FX expensive, but not cheap.

I did, however, hear a GREAT demo with the HD500 with the Tech 21 Power Engine. These are a much, MUCH cheaper option. Geez, you could get the two Power Engine 60s AND the HD500 for less than the cost of the DT-50 single 12 combo alone!

I guess the big difference is, you get that power amp break up with the DT route. I guess you just really have to weight what you want with your wallet. If you like the way the HD500 does power amp and cabinet modeling through the Power Engine, then you are gold with the cost. If you like to let the DT50 combo/half stack power amp and speakers do their own talking with the HD500 do the preamp...ness then you will need some deeper pockets.

Anyways, as much as I have bagged on the DT amp.. I did want to say where I have heard some incredible things out of this amp... but only as a power amp/speaker enclosure.

It also seems, from reading the forums, that Line6 is taking its cues from Fractal Audio and using their forums to address customers' concerns more directly than what I had experienced in the decade of POD usage. For the most part, I'd say their users seem pretty happy. A LOT less fanboyish too. haha. There are some Fractal fans that are bit... eeesh. So far, haven't come across one those on the Line6 forum. That doesn't mean anything. haha. Just saying.

They seem to be adding models through the forum too. Much like the Fractal forums, people put up their requests and Line6 does seem to be responding. I think it started with 18 amps or something and they added 4 or 5 more. Now there are two more coming along with a bass amp and a mic pre.

Although not a direct replacement functionwise to the X3 Live, it would appear that they are getting that way.

Very cool stuff.

Stupid broke-ass-ness. haha. I'd own a KBP Starlite and probably the HD500/DT50 head/DT 412 cab along with my Cube.

As much as I tell people a four twelve so isn't necessary, there is something to be said for the deafening ROAR of 412. haha. I can be a child from time to time. :(

...and from there go visit my threads about my injuries. haha.

I have an HD500, and, while I haven't gotten into it anywhere nearly enough, I can tell you the amp models are much better than previous generation Line 6 stuff. The 300, 400, and 500 ALL have the exact same amps modelled. The price difference is for different stuff like loopers, etc. I particularly like the PhD Motorway, based on a Dr. Z Route 66, and the Divide 9/15, based on the Divided by 13 9/15. Fun stuff, and easy to edit/make tones, especially if you take the time to plug it up to the computer and use the POD HD500 editor that's a free download. The problem is you could spend a DAY having fun tweaking this, that and the other, from cabs to mic positions to effects order, etc. They are $500 street price, but I got 20% off of mine from Musician's Friend when they were running a sale. Of course, they tried to tell me it was on the exclusion list, but in the end they let me have it. Well worth it, IMHO. HMM, no Tweed Deluxe model, though, so, of course, I have to rectify that....

I have an HD500, and, while I haven't gotten into it anywhere nearly enough, I can tell you the amp models are much better than previous generation Line 6 stuff. The 300, 400, and 500 ALL have the exact same amps modelled. The price difference is for different stuff like loopers, etc. I particularly like the PhD Motorway, based on a Dr. Z Route 66, and the Divide 9/15, based on the Divided by 13 9/15. Fun stuff, and easy to edit/make tones, especially if you take the time to plug it up to the computer and use the POD HD500 editor that's a free download. The problem is you could spend a DAY having fun tweaking this, that and the other, from cabs to mic positions to effects order, etc. They are $500 street price, but I got 20% off of mine from Musician's Friend when they were running a sale. Of course, they tried to tell me it was on the exclusion list, but in the end they let me have it. Well worth it, IMHO. HMM, no Tweed Deluxe model, though, so, of course, I have to rectify that....

I know they are about to add two more models but they are both channels 1 and 2 of a classic Marshall.

I believe they have a Buddha in there too. But... anyways.

I am a little shocked that they didn't have a JC120. That just seems like it has always been an amp that any modeller MUST have. Although, disable the amps and you get a NICE jazzy tone. :D

Still not sure what route I'd go if I were to amplify the PODHD or even the AxeFx for that matter.

My buddy is over right now, and we are running the POD HD500 through my Peavey Classic 30's effects return. All the amp knobs are useless at that point; the amp is basically just acting as a power amp. It sounds better this way than it does plugging into the front of the amp.

My buddy is over right now, and we are running the POD HD500 through my Peavey Classic 30's effects return. All the amp knobs are useless at that point; the amp is basically just acting as a power amp. It sounds better this way than it does plugging into the front of the amp.

(edit: Hey, Shundog, there is an update coming down the pike for the HD500. It will have two more amp models (2 channels of the same amp), a mic pre and a bass amp (Ampeg B-15).)

Oh, yeah. I am sure it is. You bypass that amp's pre-amp coloration and go right into the power amp. :D

That is what I was saying about the DT-50. I don't really care at all for how that amp sounds on its own (not horrible, just not me) but when you hook the HD500 up to it, the DT-50 then just becomes a power amp for it and those models REALLY come alive!

I could TOTALLY see getting the DT-50 if I have the HD500 running into its front end. Costly set up? Yes. Still cheaper than the Axe-Fx. haha.

I mentioned before that I heard a side by side comparison of a real 5150 and the Axe-Fx model of it and it was scary close. If you couldn't A/B the two recordings, you'd NEVER tell them apart. Dynamics and EVERYTHING nailed.

I did hear a classic Marshall amp compared to the HD500 into a DT-50 version of that model amp. Again, there was a difference, but if you couldn't tell the difference if you couldn't A/B the tracks... and the difference wasn't that one was better than the other, but just a bit different. One may have a bit more oomph in the mid-range or something.

For what it is worth, the Line 6 bass amp sounds... I have used EVERY generation of Bass POD they produced... I believe there was only one but two different models. There was a reason for that: it was so good.. it needn't improvement. No joke. I had a Bass POD Pro into a power amp (can't recall the make and model) and that into an SWR Henry 8x8 for the longest time. I just disabled the cab in the POD. WONDERFUL bass tones.

Archived