Heritage Owners Club

Is any manufacturer making a dual showman clone?

big bob

I researched this a couple of years ago and here's what I found out. When Fender began turning the cabinets vertically in the late 60s, moving away from the horizontal cabs, they made three sizes. The Bandmaster was 39" tall and used 2 x 12, the Bassman was 39" tall and used 2 x 15 (though there were also some 2 X 12s) and the Dual Showman was 45" tall and used 2 x 15. I suspect that the increased size with the Showman cabs was almost entire for show--to make them taller in light of the rise of Marshall stacks at about that time. I also was not able to determine if they always used insulation inside the cabs or not.

I get the impression that things were a bit loosey-goosey in terms of cabinet size and construction during those years. Many people believe they have Showman cabs that are in fact Bassman cabs. If the little metal label is still attached, you can tell by that.

I get the impression that things were a bit loosey-goosey in terms of cabinet size and construction during those years. Many people believe they have Showman cabs that are in fact Bassman cabs. If the little metal label is still attached, you can tell by that.

Thanks.... I'll check that out.

[quote

na

me=DetroitBlues' timestamp='1327344508' post='207663]

Do you still have that sweet looking LP Custom?

Oh yeah... I still have both the LP Custom and the Martin D-35 that are in the pic .

IM001303edit.JPG

As far as the size of those Fender cabs go: when you put the casters on the side and then roll the cab, it is more convenient to move than most combo amps. Steps take two people, but mostly the cab is much easier to use than a Twin. And they do move some serious air, no question about it--great on big stages.

As far as the size of those Fender cabs go: when you put the casters on the side and then roll the cab, it is more convenient to move than most combo amps. Steps take two people, but mostly the cab is much easier to use than a Twin. And they do move some serious air, no question about it--great on big stages.

I've thought the same thing. Sometimes wish my amp was a head and cab set instead of a combo....

I'm sure KBP could whip one up for you?

why not pick up an old silverface one? they're probably relatively cheap

isn't it just a twin reverb, in head cab?

I believe you're right. Twin in a head. KBP810 may be the best hookup.

Joe Walsh played a modified Dual Showman, may it was Fred's.

• 1 month later...

I have a 67 Dual Showman. I am a pedal person so It is the perfect amp for me. They are LOUD and work REALLY well as a big platform for pedals. I run it through a 70's Bassman 2x15 cab and the low end is ridiculously amazing. Great amp. I am about to get a 69, which is the Silverface. Got that for $400. But I would recommend it.

Kinda interested in a showman head but would want something recently made. Any suggestions?

Did you ever ask KBP as some others suggested? I'm sure he'll be interested in something different. I know I would be happy to test it out for you if you go that route. You'll know without a doubt you're getting handwired, high component quality amp you won't find from many mass produced companies out there.

Fred, I see you have been a 3 pickup kind of guy from an early age!!!

Absolutely.. :)

The middle pickup is wired out of phase.. so it's a nice nasal tone.

I wish that I'd held onto the Dual Showman.. it's one of a couple of old Fender items that I should have held onto..

Kinda interested in a showman head but would want something recently made. Any suggestions?

Just found this, switchable between Showman/Bassman with a modern high gain channel and it's a Fender.

If you look at the left side of the face between the Gain & the Treble knobs you'll see Showman/Bassman switch.

Fender Super Sonic 100; http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2162100000

Archived