Heritage Owners Club

Tascam 2488 NEO

Guest HRB853370

Rich, do you ever find yourself just using your Yamaha to record what you practice or just to capture new ideas (on a single track)?

As for myself I also have a small hand-held recorder (Zoom H4n) that I use for practice etc. Although if I didn't have that I would certainly use the 24 track. But the Zoom is quicker and easier to set up & record in various areas of the house such as the bathroom (great acoustics), outdoors, parties, bars, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a nice interface for my laptop and some software..(After I pay Brian for my amp..LOL) Now you've got me wondering if a NEO might be the way to go..Whatcha Think? My laptop has a 500g hard drive..Thanks

Guest HRB853370

I'm thinking about getting a nice interface for my laptop and some software..(After I pay Brian for my amp..LOL) Now you've got me wondering if a NEO might be the way to go..Whatcha Think? My laptop has a 500g hard drive..Thanks

If you read reviews about the 2488 Scott, many people say they have switched to that from computer based recording. Some of the reasons, dealing with software issues, latency, no need for DAW software, interfaces and others. Go to Sweetwater.com and pull up the 2488neo and you can click on user reviews. Harmony Central is another good place for reviews. I never used my computer for recording to begin with, so I have no personal comparison experience. The neo's are shipped with a 160gb which should be enough for you. You mean you havent paid Brian yet? Shame on you.

This is the guy with the Australian accent yes? Drives me nuts!

That's the Dude...perhaps the only downside to the video. Wills is a bit of a flake, but he definitely makes it easy to understand stuff on the deck...

I've been into recording since the days of reel to reel (my dad was in to it in the early 60's), both 7-1/2" and 10" machines recording on 1/4" tape. Two track, four track, and then the all mighty Tascam eight track 10" multi-track, a machine that really took the recording world leaps and bounds forward when it came to 'John Doe' being able to make a musical statement, and believe me back then it was cutting edge technology.

But even though the technology keeps morphing and advancing some things never change. No matter what recording format you choose you still need to learn the basics. I prefer stand alone recorders such as the 2488 Neo rather then complicated computer software for my own recording needs, but this is a purely personal choice based on my needs. After spending a lot of time and money on both stand alone DAW's and computer based recording software I've decided that I am simply more productive with a stand alone unit. You may not be. For you a computer based recording system may be better.

What I have learned though as I continue to slog my way through my musical life is that one thing has remained constant......it's still great to be able to pull out recordings that I made 40, 30, 20 and even ten years ago that still bring a smile to my face. The people in my life have changed as have the gear, the technology, and pretty much every other aspect of my life including my health, but one things still remains very consistent. The music I love. The way I know this for a certain fact is the 'recordings'.

Guest HRB853370

I've been into recording since the days of reel to reel (my dad was in to it in the early 60's), both 7-1/2" and 10" machines recording on 1/4" tape. Two track, four track, and then the all mighty Tascam eight track 10" multi-track, a machine that really took the recording world leaps and bounds forward when it came to 'John Doe' being able to make a musical statement, and believe me back then it was cutting edge technology.

But even though the technology keeps morphing and advancing some things never change. No matter what recording format you choose you still need to learn the basics. I prefer stand alone recorders such as the 2488 Neo rather then complicated computer software for my own recording needs, but this is a purely personal choice based on my needs. After spending a lot of time and money on both stand alone DAW's and computer based recording software I've decided that I am simply more productive with a stand alone unit. You may not be. For you a computer based recording system may be better.

What I have learned though as I continue to slog my way through my musical life is that one thing has remained constant......it's still great to be able to pull out recordings that I made 40, 30, 20 and even ten years ago that still bring a smile to my face. The people in my life have changed as have the gear, the technology, and pretty much every other aspect of my life including my health, but one things still remains very consistent. The music I love. The way I know this for a certain fact is the 'recordings'.

Thats awesome. Care to share any recordings on the forum here?

You mentioned the almighty Tascam 8 track 10" multitrack. Wasn't Bell and Howell a big player in that game back then too? I know it wasn't all Tascam.

If you read reviews about the 2488 Scott, many people say they have switched to that from computer based recording. Some of the reasons, dealing with software issues, latency, no need for DAW software, interfaces and others. Go to Sweetwater.com and pull up the 2488neo and you can click on user reviews. Harmony Central is another good place for reviews. I never used my computer for recording to begin with, so I have no personal comparison experience. The neo's are shipped with a 160gb which should be enough for you. You mean you havent paid Brian yet? Shame on you.

I paid half up front, half upon completion.. :icon_smile:

Ah, just plug your "modeler" into input one and your done with it!!!!!! LOL (But seriously that is what I love about the Axe-Fx and the modeler stuff. I have all the cables, mics, ect.... Don't need them any more for recording!!!).

Rich, do you ever find yourself just using your Yamaha to record what you practice or just to capture new ideas (on a single track)?

That's why I have the Zoom H4n. I was playing the other night, reached over clicked it on record and ended up running through a good 20 minutes of stuff. Just me, the 535 (not plugged in) and the H4. I had a phrase, "its not for me to tell you... how to live your life" and it was just going through my head. I was trying to find a riff, or direction, or may be a melody to go with it. Inspiration didn't strike. One day, I'll pull the SD card out and listen to it to see if there was anything interesting.

Slammer, you might just start with something simple, you have some mics, grab a guitar and play something, maybe add a vocal.

This is one of the first things I did with my Yamaha, Stephen Still's 4+20. It was just me and a guitar with two mics. I did about 10 takes to get one where I didn't flub it up too bad. Once I had something reasonable, I ditched all the other takes. Its tough to remember that we have to take baby steps on this stuff. Its a learning process.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33133336/Four%20and%20Twenty.mp3

Guest HRB853370

Slammer, you might just start with something simple, you have some mics, grab a guitar and play something, maybe add a vocal.

This is one of the first things I did with my Yamaha, Stephen Still's 4+20. It was just me and a guitar with two mics. I did about 10 takes to get one where I didn't flub it up too bad. Once I had something reasonable, I ditched all the other takes. Its tough to remember that we have to take baby steps on this stuff. Its a learning process.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33133336/Four%20and%20Twenty.mp3

Now that was beautiful! You are talented on that acoustic and what a nice vocal talent you have. So...will you be my mentor? Please? And then I will have to learn how to post my tracks on this forum or on the web. Baby steps? I am just learning to crawl still Rich!

I vote for this for post of the day. Great stuff, especially your last paragraph.

TalismanRich that sounded FANTASTIC!!!!

great recording & nice job on the vocals, killer!

what mics did you use & where did you place them? left channel near the soundhole & right ch further out front?

Thanks Bolero,

I did that around 4 years ago or so, so it was probably the SP B3 mics. I can't remember how the mics were set up, but I did that upstairs in the bedroom. Its my 70s Yamaha FG160 tuned to EBEEBE, same as Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

Guest HRB853370

Thanks Bolero,

I did that around 4 years ago or so, so it was probably the SP B3 mics. I can't remember how the mics were set up, but I did that upstairs in the bedroom. Its my 70s Yamaha FG160 tuned to EBEEBE, same as Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

Is that an open tuning?

I never checked the name before, other than seeing someone say how to tune for it. My theory is really weak. Wiki says its E modal: E-B-E-E-B-E (used in CSN's "Suite Judy Blue Eyes"). I was learning SJBE at the time. You can also do Carry On with that tuning. Some places say its EEEEBE but I liked the two B tuning. It really makes it easy to play those songs. You can get a nice drone going with open E strings and two of them tuned to the same pitch.

One day I'll start trying to use some of these strange tunings. That's when you need lots of guitars.

Guest HRB853370

Already having fun with this toy, no regrets whatsoever, and very user friendly. MF is still selling it for $650, $150 more than Sweetwater. Are they on crack? Anyhow, I am going to put drum and bass tracks down today, then guitar and then vocal for a few blues tunes. This machine is going to inspire me to record my own music, which I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Archived