Heritage Owners Club

Expensive? Painfully so. Awesome level 10? PAINFULLY SO!

barrymclark

Hughes & Kettner Triamp MkII. I rediscover this amp every few years. haha. A new head will run you anywhere from $2600 to $3500 depending on where you buy it. A new CC 412 cab will run you a little over a $1000.

If you get a chance, check one of these out. This might possibly be THE BEST MODELER out there. haha. It's range of tones out of its 3 amps is staggering. Each amp has 2 channels.

Not only does it sound phenominal (and, yes I have played one in person) but I think it wins the 'lit faceplate' award.

Check out this video. After the ubiquitous metal part, he goes into other tones. He does a lot of mixing and is great at coaxing tones. He does a lot of videos. Anyways, he does a good job of showing this off.

Most of the video lives in amp 3. He makes a quick run through amps 1 and 2 in the middle which are more Fendery and Marshally respectively.

I love the lit faceplate on those, a throwback to the Ampeg's of the '60's....looks funky!!

I keep hearing about reliability problems with H&K ( although I have an old tubeman pedal that is indestructable ) is that just a myth?

sent that link to a buddy who is a big gadget & knob tweaker, I bet he'd love that amp

I love the lit faceplate on those, a throwback to the Ampeg's of the '60's....looks funky!!

I keep hearing about reliability problems with H&K ( although I have an old tubeman pedal that is indestructable ) is that just a myth?

sent that link to a buddy who is a big gadget & knob tweaker, I bet he'd love that amp

I am thinking that is a model thing. Triamps have always been reliable to what I have heard. The reliability of amps in the hands of users, I kinda put that with cars. We just don't know what the users are doing with them which could be driving the units to failure in some way. I have only had one minor issue with an amp and that was a Vox. The channel indicator lamp wouldn't come on all of the time for Channel 1. Even amps I dragged through hell and back, I babied and never had one lick of problem with.

I guess what I'd look for in these do they arrive to the customer jacked up. THEN we got a problem. For that price, I want it to unwrap itself and then carry itself around!

Just did some research. It was indeed the cheaper models with the issues. I have only ever known their higher end stuff. One person nailed it though, H&K has either really high end or cheap pieces of crap and no gray area.

If I were to go the H&K route, it'd be the Triamp. Just nothing that amp can't do and do awesomely. Well, maybe jazz but I say that as I just haven't heard anyone do it. There is a clarity of notes even at its nastiest gain settings that is really, really tough to get in other amps.

But that price though....haha.

I'd be scared to death to take that amp anywhere! Some jackass throws a bottle at the lit up faceplate/baffle and I might not remember the next few minutes.

Archived