Heritage Owners Club

Fractal Axe Fx

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I guess this non believer is now a believer. Listen up Kuz and Barry. After a 40 mile bike ride, we went out to Applebees for "2 for 20" then to a local hang for a pitcher. Or two. Actually three. We heard the band was an 80's band (I prefer 70's bands) but wifey is an 80's product so she convinced me to stay. The guitar player was moving flawlessly from dirty rhythm to clean leads on every song. On the break, I asked him about his rig. He paused, then told me it was that most state of the art available and it was that well talked about Axe Fx. Wow, I was very impressed!

I guess this non believer is now a believer. Listen up Kuz and Barry. After a 40 mile bike ride, we went out to Applebees for "2 for 20" then to a local hang for a pitcher. Or two. Actually three. We heard the band was an 80's band (I prefer 70's bands) but wifey is an 80's product so she convinced me to stay. The guitar player was moving flawlessly from dirty rhythm to clean leads on every song. On the break, I asked him about his rig. He paused, then told me it was that most state of the art available and it was that well talked about Axe Fx. Wow, I was very impressed!

I am not going to so say I told you so................................. But DUDE, how long have we been members here???? AND you won't beleive me????? LOL

Yea, I just dialed in some killer Matchless Chieftain patches last night.

I was reading last month's issue of Guitar Player and THREE of "The Artist" features were using the Axe-Fx to record or play live. Like it or not. Kicking or screaming. It is the wave of the future!!!! (I still love my amps too, but the Axe-Fx is just more practical)

It's like I said from the first time I plugged into it. If more people reserved their comments until they actually heard one there wouldn't be so many digital haters out there. They really do sound 'THAT GOOD'. And the best part is I have such a huge shed full of tools all in one box.

It's all about experiences, man. I have had so many bad experiences with the tones of Line 6 amplifiers and Mesa amplifiers that, regardless of how good they are and how many people get great tone out of them, I will probably never drop a dime on either. But... if I ever had a good experience with one, that might well change. I am happy you had a good experience with the Axe-Fx.

As a side note, Atomic Amps is about to release some info on their upcoming Jay Mitchell designed powered cab. Today, there will be passive versions at a Fractal gathering in Dallas. I will be checking TGP and the Fractal forums regularly today to get info. :D

It's like I said from the first time I plugged into it. If more people reserved their comments until they actually heard one there wouldn't be so many digital haters out there. They really do sound 'THAT GOOD'. And the best part is I have such a huge shed full of tools all in one box.

Where's the fun in that?!

Yes... they really do sound that good.

It's all about experiences, man. I have had so many bad experiences with the tones of Line 6 amplifiers and Mesa amplifiers that, regardless of how good they are and how many people get great tone out of them, I will probably never drop a dime on either. But... if I ever had a good experience with one, that might well change. I am happy you had a good experience with the Axe-Fx.

As a side note, Atomic Amps is about to release some info on their upcoming Jay Mitchell designed powered cab. Today, there will be passive versions at a Fractal gathering in Dallas. I will be checking TGP and the Fractal forums regularly today to get info. :D

Barry, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMAL!!!

A year and a half ago, you could not have found a more negitive person toward modelers. I tried ALL the Line6 stuff. Bought and sent it all back, way too FIZZY. I heard about the 11 Rack, tried it and sent it back.

TWO CHORDS on the Axe-Fx and I knew it was staying.

All we/I are saying is DON'T KNOCK IT, IF YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED OR HEARD ONE!!!! I think you are a level headed guy, until you try it or hear it you will never know. I know they are cost prohibitive for you now, but comparing them to a Line6 is unfair to the Axe-Fx.

I am not going to so say I told you so................................. But DUDE, how long have we been members here???? AND you won't beleive me????? LOL

I was reading last month's issue of Guitar Player and THREE of "The Artist" features were using the Axe-Fx to record or play live. Like it or not. Kicking or screaming. It is the wave of the future!!!! (I still love my amps too, but the Axe-Fx is just more practical)

Yes it is. I have heard people, who had the right playing technique of course, get SPOT ON live tones with the Axe-Fx for covers. I mean... just WOW they are close.

Guest HRB853370

Admit it...you LOVE saying "I told you so!!"

:icon_salut:

Guest HRB853370

Yes it is. I have heard people, who had the right playing technique of course, get SPOT ON live tones with the Axe-Fx for covers. I mean... just WOW they are close.

And I asked the guy how long it took him to learn how to use it-he replied, "6 seconds"!!

Barry, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMAL!!!

A year and a half ago, you could not have found a more negitive person toward modelers. I tried ALL the Line6 stuff. Bought and sent it all back, way too FIZZY. I heard about the 11 Rack, tried it and sent it back.

TWO CHORDS on the Axe-Fx and I knew it was staying.

All we/I are saying is DON'T KNOCK IT, IF YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED OR HEARD ONE!!!! I think you are a level headed guy, until you try it or hear it you will never know. I know they are cost prohibitive for you now, but comparing them to a Line6 is unfair to the Axe-Fx.

I don't think it is at all. I really wish I had the tracks to send you from people I have worked with. The recorded sound with no extra effects, is shockingly good. I think what you experienced with Line6 is what I experienced with their amps and the Mesa amps. I just couldn't get it to work for me. Then I hear someone else through it... and it sounds incredible. Sorry.. I hold at least some of their tones in the same ball park. I still think the Line6 JC120 is attrocious and same for the 5150 where as the Fractal knocks those out of the park. BUT... and ready youself, I don't think the Axe-Fx Bogner Uberschall sounds as good as the POD HD's. That is to my ears. Gotta remember folks, good tone is all relative. I think Janis Joplin had an attrocious voice, but so many clearly disagree. So... there you have it.

For what it is worth... I still haven't truly gotten a POD to work for me despite how many I have owned. But.. again, there are those that get these WONDERFUL tones out of them. Just not me. I get better tones out of my Cube. No joke.

I will say this though... all of the people I have heard get good tone out of the Line 6 stuff are all younger. You guys grew up with the same type of amplifiers I did. All of our ears are trained to the way a tube amp reacts to our playing. If I actually got to play through an Axe-Fx, I may have a similar immediate bonding experience. But... you don't have to play something to recognize good tone. Just have to play one to feel good tone. I have gotten horribly frustrated trying to get that feel out of a Line6 in the past. So much so that end up getting tones I don't like trying to get that tube reaction. Maybe the younger kids who have grown up with modellers in the guitar world they just aren't as conditioned to that. I wasn't aware of modelers until I was in my twenties and had a decade or more of tube amp use in. That was with the Johnson amps and Line 6 AxSys 212 (if you remember those). I remember thinking they were great ideas... just didn't like the sound at all.

Who knows, maybe one day I wil yet. I would certaily like to own a toolshed in a toolbox. It beats borrowing all the time. haha. Lucky I have a lot of friends with nice stuff. haha.

And while it's great when used for that, I think it's real strength is in the totally original sounds I hear coming from guys like Adrian Belew and other world class players who have replaced 'refrigerator racks' with an Axe-Fx and are far more happy then they ever were with the big rigs they were using. Yes it's nice being able to get an exact copy of EVH's plexi or Larry Carltons Dumble OD or any of god only knows how many other iconic amps & efx, but to me the real fun comes in going places I've been before and 'inventing' tones & sounds rather then just copying them.

And while it's great when used for that, I think it's real strength is in the totally original sounds I hear coming from guys like Adrian Belew and other world class players who have replaced 'refrigerator racks' with an Axe-Fx and are far more happy then they ever were with the big rigs they were using. Yes it's nice being able to get an exact copy of EVH's plexi or Larry Carltons Dumble OD or any of god only knows how many other iconic amps & efx, but to me the real fun comes in going places I've been before and 'inventing' tones & sounds rather then just copying them.

Oh, certainly. Some of my favorite guitarists use Axe-Fx's. None of them use Line6. I believe, that is a statement.

Guest HRB853370

Well, its not for me. But in the hands of the right user, I am convinced that it has its place.

Guest HRB853370

Oh, certainly. Some of my favorite guitarists use Axe-Fx's. None of them use Line6. I believe, that is a statement.

Line6 is cheap stuff Barry. The quality is just not there. Some of it reminds me of Behringer. Now once the Line7 comes out, maybe it will be better!!

I don't think it is at all. I really wish I had the tracks to send you from people I have worked with. The recorded sound with no extra effects, is shockingly good. I think what you experienced with Line6 is what I experienced with their amps and the Mesa amps. I just couldn't get it to work for me. Then I hear someone else through it... and it sounds incredible. Sorry.. I hold at least some of their tones in the same ball park. I still think the Line6 JC120 is attrocious and same for the 5150 where as the Fractal knocks those out of the park. BUT... and ready youself, I don't think the Axe-Fx Bogner Uberschall sounds as good as the POD HD's. That is to my ears. Gotta remember folks, good tone is all relative. I think Janis Joplin had an attrocious voice, but so many clearly disagree. So... there you have it.

For what it is worth... I still haven't truly gotten a POD to work for me despite how many I have owned. But.. again, there are those that get these WONDERFUL tones out of them. Just not me. I get better tones out of my Cube. No joke.

No that wasn't me. Honestly, I haven't really used the Uberschall tones, the Shiva is too GOOD!!!

Line6 is cheap stuff Barry. The quality is just not there. Some of it reminds me of Behringer. Now once the Line7 comes out, maybe it will be better!!

haha. Well, that is just one of those things where I know what I've heard. ;)

I agree completely on the quality of make though. They are generally very cheaply made.

I did, however, get a great live sound out of the first generation POD Pro. But... I had to put it through a dbx 266XL, BBE Sonic Maximizer AND through a Marshall tube power amp into a Marshall 1960B cab. My rack was HUGE for that thing. haha.

All that means is... it is amazing what you can make sound good if you run it through enough crap. haha.

I don't think there is any question that, love it or hate it, the Fx manufactured sound is the sound of the future (or sounds). Also, with Fractal being so successful, you can bet there are going to be some very good competitors arise over the next few years. I also suspect that over time, the price will come down and eventually we will all have one.

I don't think there is any question that, love it or hate it, the Fx manufactured sound is the sound of the future (or sounds). Also, with Fractal being so successful, you can bet there are going to be some very good competitors arise over the next few years. I also suspect that over time, the price will come down and eventually we will all have one.

Well, I will disagree that the price is coming down soon. There is still a waiting list for the Axe-Fx II, and a waiting list that people pre-paid for the Kemper unit since June of last year (and it still isn't out).

Look at the Two Rock amps, for example. They are $3K-$5K. They are boutique amps that demand and get that price. MOST feel that the boutique amps sound better, or at least DIFFERENT than the cheaper more massed produced amps.

I feel the same will hold true for modeling stuff. There will be a lower priced group (Line6 or Vox), and then the boutique stuff (Axe-Fx and Kemper).

Archived