Heritage Owners Club

Polytone 103 Amp Value?

schundog

The shop where I worked in the late 70s/early 80s sold these, and, though I don't remember the model numbers, as a brand I thought they were the best sounding solid-state guitar amps of the time --they had a nice, warm, clean tone, and, for solid state stuff of that vintage, were reliable. Joe Pass endorsed Polytone (though, to be honest, Pass endorsed lots of stuff). I'm not aware of any great collector's interest, but others might have a better sense.

Well, the Polytone never made it home. The pawn shop I had bought it at in another town wanted $125 for it, I got it for $100 plus tax, so I was out $108. I knew it sounded good, as I tried it out at the pawn shop, but I knew I didn't want to haul the thing up and down steps to the Man Cave too often; It was pretty heavy, on casters, closed back with a big honkin' 15" speaker. I went by Monster Pawn when I got back into town, and had them try to look up what it might be worth. Tommy, the owner looked at me very curiously as I rolled this thing in, saying, "That's about the last thing I expected to see come in HERE today.." He'd never seen one, and neither had I, although we both knew they were a preferred Jazz amp by some. Very clean cleans, a tremolo, bright and dark switch on 2 different channels, but neither channel seemed to be any dirtier than the other. Tommy played a 50s vintage Gibson hollowbody with 1 P90 in the neck, and the combo sounded heavenly! They looked at a couple places other than Ebay, and never did find the identical amp for sale or having recently been sold, but we got the idea that they might be valued as much as $500. They unscrewed the closed back to reveal.....Yikes, a Radio Shack 15" speaker! My heart sank a bit; I thought that might really devalue it in their opinion, but they just kind of laughed and agreed it DID sound good! I'd never seen this, either, the entire cabinet was lined with fiberglass insulation like you would put in your attic!

So they asked me what I wanted for it, and I said that I wanted my old Ibanez AF-105 Jazz Box that I had sold them for $350 that they still had on the wall. He agreed, and I left with my old guitar. Pretty good deal, I think!

Pics or it didn't happen, right? Here's the first and probably last Polytone I'll ever see.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/oldampheads069.jpg[/img]"]https://oldampheads069.jpg

And here's my second time trying to convince myself I CAN learn some jazz, and this is my second time buying this pretty sweet Ibby.

oldampheads076.jpg

I've owned two early 80s Polytones (still have one) and they are very solid. Quality construction all around, great tone and accutronics spring reverb. They are in my opinion under valued when they are issue free like mmine have been. Slight reservation is some of the op amps used in the design are apparently hard to find, so when something goes wrong...From my experience they are great for bass, jazz or rock. The bass amps are in fact the same as the guitar amp, just without the reverb. Yes, they are packed with construction grade insulation foam. But it seems to work. They are great values as well. For $200-400 you can pick up almost any model in great playable shape. Glad you got good value for it.

Well, the Polytone never made it home. The pawn shop I had bought it at in another town wanted $125 for it, I got it for $100 plus tax, so I was out $108. I knew it sounded good, as I tried it out at the pawn shop, but I knew I didn't want to haul the thing up and down steps to the Man Cave too often; It was pretty heavy, on casters, closed back with a big honkin' 15" speaker. I went by Monster Pawn when I got back into town, and had them try to look up what it might be worth. Tommy, the owner looked at me very curiously as I rolled this thing in, saying, "That's about the last thing I expected to see come in HERE today.." He'd never seen one, and neither had I, although we both knew they were a preferred Jazz amp by some. Very clean cleans, a tremolo, bright and dark switch on 2 different channels, but neither channel seemed to be any dirtier than the other. Tommy played a 50s vintage Gibson hollowbody with 1 P90 in the neck, and the combo sounded heavenly! They looked at a couple places other than Ebay, and never did find the identical amp for sale or having recently been sold, but we got the idea that they might be valued as much as $500. They unscrewed the closed back to reveal.....Yikes, a Radio Shack 15" speaker! My heart sank a bit; I thought that might really devalue it in their opinion, but they just kind of laughed and agreed it DID sound good! I'd never seen this, either, the entire cabinet was lined with fiberglass insulation like you would put in your attic!

So they asked me what I wanted for it, and I said that I wanted my old Ibanez AF-105 Jazz Box that I had sold them for $350 that they still had on the wall. He agreed, and I left with my old guitar. Pretty good deal, I think!

Pics or it didn't happen, right? Here's the first and probably last Polytone I'll ever see.

https://oldampheads069.jpg

And here's my second time trying to convince myself I CAN learn some jazz, and this is my second time buying this pretty sweet Ibby.

oldampheads076.jpg

That's a pretty sharp looking Ibanez... Can't remember seeing one quite like that one....

https://oldampheads069.jpg

oldampheads076.jpg

Thats a really nice hollow body..Enjoy!!

Thanks for the comments on the Ibanez, guys; I didn't do a NGD post on it, as I feel a little foolish having "bought" the same guitar twice in about a year! haha. I went digging, and did find a couple better pictures I took of it on it's REAL NGD, haha.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/abbyguitar0111042-1.jpg[/img]"]https://abbyguitar0111042-1.jpg

abbyguitar0111044.jpg

abbyguitar0111041.jpg

Im hate to admit it, but for the money Ibanez makes a decent playing and looking guitar (75,85, 95 & 100's series). Certainly not a Heritage, but decent.

JMHO

Jim C

Yeah, Jim, the weak point for me on the previous Ibanez' I owned was the electronics; they were just sort of "Meh." I believe these are called "Super 58s," whatever the heck that is, haha, but they sound MUCH better than the lower end Artcores. I'm not crazy about the thick, shiny, poly finish, but I REALLY can't complain; I'm very blessed to have what I do. Sure, I'd love a 575, but I don't think it would get the love it deserves with the kind of music I most often play. Maybe someday....

Archived