Heritage Owners Club

NAD HP Deluxe from Steve Clark at Sligo Amps

nicknickhall

I decided to see if I could readily tell the diff between a newish fender deluxe vm and a hand wired blackface clone. uh, that would be a yes. They're both rated at 40 watts and both pushing one 12" speaker. That's where the similarities end. The VM has a DSP section for its reverb, delay, chorus/vibrato. My new amp has tube reverb and tube vibrato. I loaded it with Mercury Magnetics PT (they designed one for the deluxe reverb) and their Vibroverb OT (there's the 40 watts), and their choke. the new amp has a Weber Ferromax (ceramic) speaker. It arrived yesterday. I slid in the two JJ 6v6 power tubes and the JJ gz34 rectifier tube and powered it up. The tubes started to glow and i gave it a minute to warm up, flipped the standby switch and there was the very quiet hiss that says, "welcome". It really does take me back to the days when i first encountered fender amps, and it was the blackface era. Running through the clean and the vibe channel and playing with the reverb and vibrato it is evident that this brings a lot more to the party than the stock amp that Fender sells. So far so good. It has driven my two cats out of the studio however. The amp seems to raise their fur to an uncomfortable level. After the amp is off they will cautiously approach it and give it a sniff, but they're not turning their back on it that is for sure.

Steve is ma homie. I'm from the same area, MD-VA. He's all pumped because he got Jimmy Thackery's endorsement. I can relate. He's been building amps for 10 years. His MO seems to be start with a Weber kit and sub in parts he feels improve the product; Mallory Caps, Switchcraft jacks, Carling switches, Carbon 2% resistors. Full point to point AB763 circuit. It's all over my head i'm afraid, but I liked the soundclips I found on the web and ordered the amp after talking to him about what i wanted.

I have gotten myself way more amp than I "need". This thing is LOUD. So there may be a subsequent search for some sort of attenuator but not for a while. When I turn it up however I have the distinct impression that i'm in the transporter room on the "Enterprise" and what's his name just said "Energize".

post-5479-0-62010700-1329337941_thumb.jpg

I decided to see if I could readily tell the diff between a newish fender deluxe vm and a hand wired blackface clone. uh, that would be a yes. They're both rated at 40 watts and both pushing one 12" speaker. That's where the similarities end. The VM has a DSP section for its reverb, delay, chorus/vibrato. My new amp has tube reverb and tube vibrato. I loaded it with Mercury Magnetics PT (they designed one for the deluxe reverb) and their Vibroverb OT (there's the 40 watts), and their choke. the new amp has a Weber Ferromax (ceramic) speaker. It arrived yesterday. I slid in the two JJ 6v6 power tubes and the JJ gz34 rectifier tube and powered it up. The tubes started to glow and i gave it a minute to warm up, flipped the standby switch and there was the very quiet hiss that says, "welcome". It really does take me back to the days when i first encountered fender amps, and it was the blackface era. Running through the clean and the vibe channel and playing with the reverb and vibrato it is evident that this brings a lot more to the party than the stock amp that Fender sells. So far so good. It has driven my two cats out of the studio however. The amp seems to raise their fur to an uncomfortable level. After the amp is off they will cautiously approach it and give it a sniff, but they're not turning their back on it that is for sure.

Steve is ma homie. I'm from the same area, MD-VA. He's all pumped because he got Jimmy Thackery's endorsement. I can relate. He's been building amps for 10 years. His MO seems to be start with a Weber kit and sub in parts he feels improve the product; Mallory Caps, Switchcraft jacks, Carling switches, Carbon 2% resistors. Full point to point AB763 circuit. It's all over my head i'm afraid, but I liked the soundclips I found on the web and ordered the amp after talking to him about what i wanted.

I have gotten myself way more amp than I "need". This thing is LOUD. So there may be a subsequent search for some sort of attenuator but not for a while. When I turn it up however I have the distinct impression that i'm in the transporter room on the "Enterprise" and what's his name just said "Energize".

Nice review!! congratulations!!

Guest HRB853370

Nick, what is VM when referring to the Fender Deluxe? And, without prying, was the cost of your new Stevie about 3x that of the Fender Deluxe Reverb?

Nick, what is VM when referring to the Fender Deluxe? And, without prying, was the cost of your new Stevie about 3x that of the Fender Deluxe Reverb?

The Fender Deluxe VM is "Vintage Modified", so they took the Deluxe and added an effects loop, and the digital effects onboard. Makes it a good practice amp, and, at 40 watts, I don't see why you couldn't gig with it too. There's a clean and a "drive" channel, so you can add distortion. The Stevie is straight AB763, It's like a hot rod that will paste you to the back of your seat. If you go to Sligoamps.com you can see all his clones and there are sound clips on YouTube. The Stevie does nail the blackface sound, imho.

The new amp was $1400 delivered with a 5 week turnaround from order to delivery. I sold two amps I had to cover the cost of the new one.

The newer Reissues and VM amps do not compare to the original designs. We have a resident builder here who also build Fender designed amps such as this one. There is no comparison between the Ok sounding Fender produced amps and a hand wired tribute to the original real deal valve amps... Congrats!

The newer Reissues and VM amps do not compare to the original designs. We have a resident builder here who also build Fender designed amps such as this one. There is no comparison between the Ok sounding Fender produced amps and a hand wired tribute to the original real deal valve amps... Congrats!

Yes it's true. The hand wired versions are like the 3D version of the Fenders. Ironic maybe, but true.

Guest HRB853370

Have you ever owned a RI blackface Deluxe to back up your statements? I was playing though my RI tonite, with my Millie, and the crystal clean tones were just unbelieveble. I challenge you to put up your best dukes against it. Up for it?

BTW, this is no slight against Sligo amps or any custom builder, including our "own" resident custom builder. I just get annoyed at statements that are made with nothing of substance to back them up.

Umm, hate4 to ruin your party, but one fact is that the output tranny may be RATED for 40 watts, but you can not get much above 20 for a pair of 6v6's PERIOD...The bigger iron does make the amp more efficient for sure. Big Iron = Big Tone....Steve at Sligo amps is well known as a builder of much better than average made, better parts, easier to repair or have repaired than most current production built amps, nicer sounding as well.

BOUTIQUE AMPS FOR BOUTIQUE GUITARS! :clapping_mini:

Umm, hate4 to ruin your party, but one fact is that the output tranny may be RATED for 40 watts, but you can not get much above 20 for a pair of 6v6's PERIOD...The bigger iron does make the amp more efficient for sure. Big Iron = Big Tone....Steve at Sligo amps is well known as a builder of much better than average made, better parts, easier to repair or have repaired than most current production built amps, nicer sounding as well.

BOUTIQUE AMPS FOR BOUTIQUE GUITARS! :clapping_mini:

As I've indicated, the specific wattage is beyond my expertise. Steve at Sligo represents this as a 40 watt version though so that is a discrepancy i'd like to clear up with him. As far as perceived power though, to my ears that is, it is much more powerful than the Fender Deluxe VM I used to play through. You haven't ruined my party, however much it seems to me that was your intent.

Guest HRB853370

As I've indicated, the specific wattage is beyond my expertise. Steve at Sligo represents this as a 40 watt version though so that is a discrepancy i'd like to clear up with him. As far as perceived power though, to my ears that is, it is much more powerful than the Fender Deluxe VM I used to play through. You haven't ruined my party, however much it seems to me that was your intent.

I think Mavguy directed that towards me Nick and not you. I was not trying to be snarky; unless I had the amps side by side I wouldn't know the differences. All I know is that my off the shelf DR sounds great to me-I am sure your custom build (at $900 more) sounds fabulous!! Congrats!!

Have you ever owned a RI blackface Deluxe to back up your statements? I was playing though my RI tonite, with my Millie, and the crystal clean tones were just unbelieveble. I challenge you to put up your best dukes against it. Up for it?

BTW, this is no slight against Sligo amps or any custom builder, including our "own" resident custom builder. I just get annoyed at statements that are made with nothing of substance to back them up.

I've played them several times over and they don't sound the same. Sounded more like a modeling amp then a KBP RD amp.

You can send the amp to KBP, he'll gut out the chasis and replace it with the real deal....

Guest HRB853370

I've played them several times over and they don't sound the same. Sounded more like a modeling amp then a KBP RD amp.

No problem, different ears, different opinions. I paid $600 brand new-I can't complain.

., am standing by every word of my previous post. Just a little bit of research on Frank's pages will confirm my words about max wattage of 6v6 tubes. The JJ 6v6 is a modern mutant, not a real, true 6v6, designed to run at higher plate voltages than old stock 6v6's but 40 watts? Clean? Nah! That's 6l6 territory. That tube was developed because modern production 6v6's have a higher failure rate in old and modern amp designs having b+ voltages significantly above normal operating limits limits of 6v6's. The old tubes were more tolerant of going above limits. That is why JJ had to come up with the new design.

As far as ruining the party, just clearing up hearsay with true facts that can be easily backed up. The old style eyelet board amps are far easier to repair than the RI's. Most PCB amps are designed with production cust cutting as the rule, not the exception. That does go to the tone, unfortunately. You get what you pay for when you get that handwired Sligo amp. It's a MUCH better deal than any so called reissue that internally bears little resemblance to the original build.

Boutique amps for Boutique guitars!

Guest HRB853370

., am standing by every word of my previous post. Just a little bit of research on Frank's pages will confirm my words about max wattage of 6v6 tubes. The JJ 6v6 is a modern mutant, not a real, true 6v6, designed to run at higher plate voltages than old stock 6v6's but 40 watts? Clean? Nah! That's 6l6 territory. That tube was developed because modern production 6v6's have a higher failure rate in old and modern amp designs having b+ voltages significantly above normal operating limits limits of 6v6's. The old tubes were more tolerant of going above limits. That is why JJ had to come up with the new design.

As far as ruining the party, just clearing up hearsay with true facts that can be easily backed up. The old style eyelet board amps are far easier to repair than the RI's. Most PCB amps are designed with production cust cutting as the rule, not the exception. That does go to the tone, unfortunately. You get what you pay for when you get that handwired Sligo amp. It's a MUCH better deal than any so called reissue that internally bears little resemblance to the original build.

Boutique amps for Boutique guitars!

Trust me- my ears would not know the difference, if there was one.

I guess once I get a boutique guitar, I can join the boutique amp club!

I had the following post written and saved and my internet connection went out. I had to troubleshoot that (my cable from modem to router failed). :

Just to be clear, 212Mavguy has the correct info here and it's me that goofed. 6v6s have a max power of 12-15 watts per. Somehow I got confused about which version of the amp i got from Sligo. This is the 22 watt version and not the 40. It's those darn tube watts dazzling me with their power. I"m actually thrilled about it because i've got plenty of power here at that. I got my wires crossed with Steve at Sligo and he got right back to me with an email and offered to do whatever he could to make things right for me if i wanted the beefed up version. As far as that goes I feel no need at all to get the more powerful version. If I had gotten the more powerful of the configurations I might now be swapping with Sligo for the 22. My comparison is specifically of this amp and the Deluxe VM I previously had. That one was rated at 40 watts but if asked i would have sworn this amp i have was the more powerful of the two, so that's how expert i am with this bit of engineering. I haven't had any experience with the Fender DRRI which would make a great comparison with this one.

Nick,

You're right, 22 watts is way more than enough for household use. I have the KBP810 version that used to belong to Detroitblues and believe me, a pedal for distortion is a necessity if you don't invest in an attenuator. In my case, I think the pedal works just fine.

Otherwise, play it clean or be prepared for hearing loss, or irate neighbors.

I've read that doubling the output power of an amp results in fairly minor 3 decibel volume increase.

Nick,

You're right, 22 watts is way more than enough for household use. I have the KBP810 version that used to belong to Detroitblues and believe me, a pedal for distortion is a necessity if you don't invest in an attenuator. In my case, I think the pedal works just fine.

Otherwise, play it clean or be prepared for hearing loss, or irate neighbors.

I've read that doubling the output power of an amp results in fairly minor 3 decibel volume increase.

I have my Luther drive in front of the amp right now. (love the gearmandude) I also have a compressor drive and a carbon copy that I throw in too. What pedals have you been using?

Guest HRB853370

you seem to find some good deals on new amps. Cheapest I've seen them go is $999

Yah, this was about 7 years ago- Fender seriously jacked up their prices in the last few years. Like my 62 RI strat, paid $1200 for it with free ship. Now I see them at around $1700.

I have a Boss ME-25 that works well, but was convinced that I needed an honest to gosh quality analog pedal so I bought a CMATMODS Super Signa Drive. It has distortion with TMB on one side and Boost with compresion on the other. Both function independently so it's like two & a half pedals in one.

Definately recommend.

I have a Boss ME-25 that works well, but was convinced that I needed an honest to gosh quality analog pedal so I bought a CMATMODS Super Signa Drive. It has distortion with TMB on one side and Boost with compresion on the other. Both function independently so it's like two & a half pedals in one.

Definately recommend.

so i went to you tube and listened to gearmandude's shootout of his Luther Drive v. the signa drive and the cmat pedal ate the Luther's lunch...

Archived