Heritage Owners Club

Attack of the Mighty Midgets!

barrymclark

Ah, I dunno, I am still kinda partial to Fender Twin Reverbs.

Me too Wil. Although my old Twin needs an owner with a younger back. I can still lift it one handed for short distances but the next day my spinal column is somewhat askew.

Those little amps look cool (and feather weight) and you can mix and match cabinets. Great concept.

Another for the list.. And this one will take almost any tube you want. El34/6l6/kt88 whatever you got!

It's been around a long time.

http://www.thdelectr...e_UniValve.html

The THD UniValve is a Single-Ended Class A amplifier head with a single output tube that can be switched at will among many octal-based power tubes...

(more.)

...including 6L6, EL34, 6550, KT90, KT88, KT77 and KT66, for different tones without re-biasing the amp. Likewise, the two preamp tubes can be any combination of 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 12AY7 or 12AZ7. The UniValve delivers tones from smooth and clear to very aggressive overdrive. It is easily capable of driving a 4 x 12" cabinet, yet quite small and light. It has a built-in Hot Plate® Power Attenuator that allows for full output distortion at almost any volume. And it doesn't cost as much as you might think.

I owned a BiValve and/or Univalve (I honestly can't remember) - great amp but weighed a frickin' ton! This new bread of mini-amps are featherweight by comparison (12 pounds for the Mini-Recto and TA-15) and come with a carrying bag with a shoulder strap. I don't think I'd want to sling a Univalve over my shoulder.

Hold the phone. Just heard a GREAT video demo. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Steve Vai did it. Think what you want of his style ( I am not much a fan of solo guitar music) but this man knows how to play and has great tone in many genres. I mean... how else do you get a gig with Frank Zappa at, what, 17?!

Anyways. The Vai Legacy 3.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VL300

Lunchbox size. About double the weight of a common lunchbox though at 30lbs. 100w and switchable down to 50w and 15w. Switchable boost. Three channels. The high gain and crunch sound very good. Not a shocker. It is Vai's amp after all. If those two aren't nailed, it is a failure as a Vai amp. BUT... the clean tone was precisely what I like. Very nice.

I'd say when I can afford a good domestic (to the USA) amp, the Carvin Vai Legacy 3 is a MASSIVE... MASSIVE contender.

Archived