Heritage Owners Club

Attack of the Mighty Midgets!

barrymclark

Lately, I have taken a huge interest in what seems to be the latest craze in amplifier manufactering and that is the small, lightweight head units such as the Carvin V3 Micro, Mesa Mini-Rec/Trans-Atlantic, Orange Tiny/Dark Terror, Jet City JCA20H, Blackstar HT20 and so on.

Love these little things.

I'd say the main reasons are reduced price, weight and powerful enough to handle about any live situation so long as there are mics available at medium to large events and there generally are.

I'd say the one I love the most is the Mini-Rec. My problem is that I have just not mastered the art of making the high gain sound good on Mesa Recs. Every other tone I have no issue with. Just the one it's particularly known for I can't seem to wrap my head around. No problem, even at the reasonable price tag it has, I cannot afford it. So....yeah.

As a qualifier, I have played every one of those amps save for the Carvin. So... I don't really have an opinion on that. The Demo's sound all well and good, but that is someone else's hands and I can never find one where they play even remotely close to the way I do. So... yeah.

It does get the award for ugly as sin though! haha.

Of the ones I have played, I rank them like this:

Mesa Mini-Rec

Jet City JCA20H

Blackstar HT20

Marshall Class 5

Orange Tiny Terror

Orange Dark Terror

Egnater Rebel 20 (I know a lot of folks like this one.. it just didn't agree with me)

Again, the Carvin isn't on here because I haven't played one. They also aren't ranked for doing a specific sound but how good they did what they did. The Mini-Rec I have heard GREAT high gain from... I just can't seem to do it. Other tones I have gotten great results from it. They were so good... they stayed at the top despite my fussing with its high gain.

I must say, this post was very misleading, I thought it was about midgets, er little people I mean!

I actually looked at a mini rec a few months ago, very appealing amp. Honestly, the only reason I don't have an interest in an amp like that is that I'm always doing covers, it's just easier for me to use a clean amp and change tones with pedals. If I only did heavy stuff I probably would use something like a Mesa or a V3.

I must say, this post was very misleading, I thought it was about midgets, er little people I mean!

I actually looked at a mini rec a few months ago, very appealing amp. Honestly, the only reason I don't have an interest in an amp like that is that I'm always doing covers, it's just easier for me to use a clean amp and change tones with pedals. If I only did heavy stuff I probably would use something like a Mesa or a V3.

I really dug the classic, driven and crunch tones from this amp. I'd be highly tempted either way.

The clean on the mini rec with a strat is really nice. Its a very cool amp and a lot more versitile than I thought it was going to be. Theres some great low to high gain sounds in the Mini Rec.

But like Trouble I prefer a big sounding clean amp and a few stomps to give me different sounds and gain levels.

The mini rec does look cool as well as sounding good though

The clean on the mini rec with a strat is really nice. Its a very cool amp and a lot more versitile than I thought it was going to be. Theres some great low to high gain sounds in the Mini Rec.

But like Trouble I prefer a big sounding clean amp and a few stomps to give me different sounds and gain levels.

The mini rec does look cool as well as sounding good though

Yeah. I really dug it. But... I don't like using pedals at all really. Just don't like the hassle. So... if money ever gets flush again and can let go of $1000 USD, I may look at one. ...at least that is what I believe they are going for new.

I have a Blackheart Killer Ant and just ordered a VHT Special 6 which is pretty much a champ . The BH Ant is a fantastic little amp , it's volume will surprise you for a sub 1 watter.

Heard good things about them. Just never had an opportunity to play though one. VHT special 6 is a killer little amp. I forgot it about it for my list... but I have played through one and it sounds great when driven hard.

Heard good things about them. Just never had an opportunity to play though one. VHT special 6 is a killer little amp. I forgot it about it for my list... but I have played through one and it sounds great when driven hard.

Good to hear , I'm hoping to get some Tweed/BF tones out of it . I just scored a NOS RCA for it and can't wait !

I'd maybe use a clean boost or a volume pedal... but no pedals other than that.

...and the Mini-Rec has a boost function that is footswitch controllable... so that is just another point in its favor. It also has a Reverb. I don't really use this much except at low volumes. Since it has power cut down to 10w, i'd be able to use it a bit more at home. The Jet City is a bit of a challenge getting the tone I like because I have to shake the walls to get there. haha.

No Vox Night Train on your list, Barry? It's the daddy of them all! :)

d660d676.jpg

Oh! Crap! Another one I forgot! This had to be the first of the minis that I played! Killer... KILLER tone. I can totally see getting one of these with the Night Trains' 212. I'd LOVE to have a gallery of Mighty Minis. Just so much is possible with these little things these days.

I`ve a Matamp Minimat and 1x12.4watts clean with a 6v6 but it gets loud when you wind it up!

Never played one. :( I'd like to try a Laney mini too.

There's that and the Hughes & Kettner, Fender Super Champ X2,

BUT.... the coolest thing I have seen lately.... are the Marshall anniversary minis! JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1 and JVM1. Little one watters. MAN....... I mean... MAN.....

All Made in England and are limited in quantity. Would be cool just simply to have them. :)

Another for the list.. And this one will take almost any tube you want. El34/6l6/kt88 whatever you got!

It's been around a long time.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_UniValve.html

The THD UniValve is a Single-Ended Class A amplifier head with a single output tube that can be switched at will among many octal-based power tubes...

(more.)

...including 6L6, EL34, 6550, KT90, KT88, KT77 and KT66, for different tones without re-biasing the amp. Likewise, the two preamp tubes can be any combination of 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 12AY7 or 12AZ7. The UniValve delivers tones from smooth and clear to very aggressive overdrive. It is easily capable of driving a 4 x 12" cabinet, yet quite small and light. It has a built-in Hot Plate® Power Attenuator that allows for full output distortion at almost any volume. And it doesn’t cost as much as you might think.

Another for the list.. And this one will take almost any tube you want. El34/6l6/kt88 whatever you got!

It's been around a long time.

http://www.thdelectr...e_UniValve.html

The THD UniValve is a Single-Ended Class A amplifier head with a single output tube that can be switched at will among many octal-based power tubes...

(more.)

...including 6L6, EL34, 6550, KT90, KT88, KT77 and KT66, for different tones without re-biasing the amp. Likewise, the two preamp tubes can be any combination of 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 12AY7 or 12AZ7. The UniValve delivers tones from smooth and clear to very aggressive overdrive. It is easily capable of driving a 4 x 12" cabinet, yet quite small and light. It has a built-in Hot Plate® Power Attenuator that allows for full output distortion at almost any volume. And it doesn't cost as much as you might think.

Never played one. I hear they are very nice, too! Jet City has one designed by the UniValve designer called the PicoValve.

Love my Mini-Rectifier. I guess it kind of depends on what you are looking for in high gain. I find I like both the clean channel in pushed mode - maybe not high gain, but a very touch sensitive crunch that can be goosed with a Tubescreamer to sound killer and the vintage high gain, which again can be pushed with a Tubescreamer so sound positively molten! It's not a Mark series gain, it's not a Dumble gain, it's a little more aggressive but still sounds great.

Archived