Heritage Owners Club

EVH Mini 5150

barrymclark

Found out about these a few days ago. Cool idea. It sounds pretty good on the demos. The clean channel is exactly what I remembered it being on my old 5150: there isn't one. There is just a relatively clean channel. haha.

Two interesting things. One, Fender makes these. It does sound very good.

The other, and this one kinda bugs me, is that it is made in Viet Nam and still MSRP's at around $1400 and retail at right at $1000. Normally, this is a cost cutting measure. Here though, it is either boosting profits (which I don't in particular have a problem with) or paying EVH for the name.

For a G... I'd get the Mini-Rectifier take the power cut, get more versatility, quality I can hang my hat on and have it made in CA. Of course... that's if I have a G to spend. I don't, so... I will be grinding out my $200 Jet City. :)

Guest HRB853370

Found out about these a few days ago. Cool idea. It sounds pretty good on the demos. The clean channel is exactly what I remembered it being on my old 5150: there isn't one. There is just a relatively clean channel. haha.

Two interesting things. One, Fender makes these. It does sound very good.

The other, and this one kinda bugs me, is that it is made in Viet Nam and still MSRP's at around $1400 and retail at right at $1000. Normally, this is a cost cutting measure. Here though, it is either boosting profits (which I don't in particular have a problem with) or paying EVH for the name.

For a G... I'd get the Mini-Rectifier take the power cut, get more versatility, quality I can hang my hat on and have it made in CA. Of course... that's if I have a G to spend. I don't, so... I will be grinding out my $200 Jet City. :)

I thought Jet City's were made in Vietnam too!

:icon_scratch:

I thought Jet City's were made in Vietnam too!

:icon_scratch:

China... but yeah. HOWEVER..... one is $250 new. The other is 4 times more. If I am getting import, it is to save money or because I just can't get it made domestically. I can get a Jet City tone domestically via Carvin for about $800 or something like that for the V3M or Mesa Mini-Rectifier at $1k or even the KBP ODS for a touch more. I just can't get the price and, at the moment, that is almighty.

For a G take a look at the Carvin V3M you can get the head and a 2x10 slant or reg cabinet with upgraded celestion 30's. I've really been jonesing for that amp.

The only problem is... there is literally nowhere I can try this amp unless I have an unexpected California trip.

The features of the amp are pretty slick. I LOVE that it goes from 50w to 22w to 7w. The online demos are sparse at best. The ones with good players are even more sparse. The ones who have a variety of styles they do well are all but nonexistent. (Isn't that the problem with all on-line demos?)

Found a good one where it had a classic rock tone. Cleans.... well... it is rare anyone ever gets a good one there. Some are ok. High gain, there is one that might be good... but it is hard to tell with the room ambience.

So... yeah. Until I see better demos, I am just not yet sold on it. Don't wanna drop a G on an unknown.

Archived