Heritage Owners Club

So, now that the Jet City honeymoon is over....

barrymclark

How do I feel about it after several weeks and lot of playing?

The newness has worn off.

Even so, it is a very good amp. Much better than its price suggests. It gets VERY close to what I want an amp to sound like. The things I wish it did... well, you just aren't going to get that in a $250 amp. It would be cap, iron and tube upgrades at a minimum. That would drive the price up quite dramatically. Can it be done? Yes. These are built to be modified.

Do I want to? That is the question.

On the one hand... it sounds like a good idea. However, by the time I have done that, I could be nearing the $1000 total for the amp including what I paid for it.

I am definitely not getting rid of the amp. It is too good and, for what I can afford right now, I can't ask for any better realistically.

So, when money is good again, I can't say I will be selling this amp as it may serve as a nice little back up just in case.

But.... I will be looking at other things. One of them will be the Carvin Vai Legacy III.

The Iron on that amp is better than most sub $2,000 amps today.... What I would rather see is a clean channel that stays clean at higher volume and an effects loop. But they introduced a newer model with all that.

I agree on the clean. What I want to see it do is have more string/note definition at higher gain. When I get it to where I like the high gain tone, it mushes. The Cube keeps the definition, but there isn't enough mush. It is very grainy feeling... if you follow.

I was getting more that it would be a change in the internals and not a swipe at what is in there. This is as Soldano designed it and it sounds very good. Just not quite where i want it.

Guest HRB853370

How do I feel about it after several weeks and lot of playing?

The newness has worn off.

Even so, it is a very good amp. Much better than its price suggests. It gets VERY close to what I want an amp to sound like. The things I wish it did... well, you just aren't going to get that in a $250 amp. It would be cap, iron and tube upgrades at a minimum. That would drive the price up quite dramatically. Can it be done? Yes. These are built to be modified.

Do I want to? That is the question.

On the one hand... it sounds like a good idea. However, by the time I have done that, I could be nearing the $1000 total for the amp including what I paid for it.

I am definitely not getting rid of the amp. It is too good and, for what I can afford right now, I can't ask for any better realistically.

So, when money is good again, I can't say I will be selling this amp as it may serve as a nice little back up just in case.

But.... I will be looking at other things. One of them will be the Carvin Vai Legacy III.

How about a KBP810 custom order. I can even think of a cool name, lets see, ummm, how about Starlite!

How about a KBP810 custom order. I can even think of a cool name, lets see, ummm, how about Starlite!

Well, he's taking a well deserved break once he gets done with his current order list so that may not be an option and, really, until I have cash in hand and he says he is still building or is starting again, I don't want to hang my hat on that.

If that is an option, then yes. I wil be talking to him first.

Guest HRB853370

Well, he's taking a well deserved break once he gets done with his current order list so that may not be an option and, really, until I have cash in hand and he says he is still building or is starting again, I don't want to hang my hat on that.

If that is an option, then yes. I wil be talking to him first.

Oh no he's not, I got an order I am placing with him this week, with an April 1 delivery date. Nice try tho bro!

Guest HRB853370

Ah, well, that is what I last heard. And.. unless I have money in hand... it doesn't matter anyways. :)

Ah, just pulling yer leg. I dunno, he has been awful busy eh? Never even see him post here anymore.

Barry,

Hear ya on the money thang. When I started collecting my tubes, I got them one at a time on the "bay. What brand and type of preamp tubes does your JC have now?

No identifying label that I can see on there. Only says MADE IN CHINA. They would appear to be the originals to the amp. They are a bit farty. Not horribly so... but it is there.

I am very curious about the RetroValves.

Find yourself a 12AY7 tube and replace the 2nd preamp tube with it... Should give you some higher clean volume.

Yeah. I have a few things I want to try. The caps will by far the cheapest thing I could do. To get to the volume I want at the tone I want it will likely have to stay cleaner longer. It gets WAY fuzzy quick. Sounds DAMN good.

I want to get it where the gain being wound out it is right at the verge of feedback.

Ideally, I'd like an old Fender Blackface type tone but with a darker british edge on it. Very sensitive. I don't know if this amp's architecture has it in 'er, but I will see.

Worse comes to worse, I can always try and save a bit over a bill and get th KBP ODS. :) Who knows when the hell that will be. haha.

I agree on the clean. What I want to see it do is have more string/note definition at higher gain. When I get it to where I like the high gain tone, it mushes. The Cube keeps the definition, but there isn't enough mush. It is very grainy feeling... if you follow.

I was getting more that it would be a change in the internals and not a swipe at what is in there. This is as Soldano designed it and it sounds very good. Just not quite where i want it.

Ben Verellen (spelling) already offers a modded version of this amp on the Jet City web site. It costs a little more, but is still under $500. I'd check out the site and see if they can retrofit your amp. Should keep your costs down and give you the clean headroom you want.

Good luck!

Archived