Heritage Owners Club

Archtop Amplified/Recorded Sound

Spook410

OK.. I'm mostly an acoustic guitar player and I've a great deal to learn. However, being in the market for a mid-range archtop, I've already started thinking about models and electronics. I realize there are lots of considerations including the enjoyment of a fine instrument, but I'm thinking now of what the guitar will sound like recorded or playing in a small venue. It seems that, like acoustics, the frequency spectrum and frequency emphasis will come through a good pickup but it's hard to capture much in the way of nuance. With one of the larger Heritage models with a floating pickup I'll certainly get a better acoustic sound. However, plugged in will I just get a more pronounced 100Hz-200Hz knee versus something like a 575 or will the electric sound be richer across a broad spectrum? I'm assuming something like Kent Armstrong pickups and strings that are a reasonable match to the guitar. What I think I'm looking for is to be just on the acoustic side of the Kenny Burrell sound a lot of folks associate with 'jazzy'.

Wish I could spend a week in a room with many archtop guitars, pickups, strings, and amplification (okay.. maybe longer than a week). Since that isn't possible, I thought I would see if anyone has experience or opinions to share.

The eagles are a tad more "acoustic" but feedback much easier than the 575. When it boils down to two+ hours of playing, I prefer the Eagles at low volume if looking for the acoustic finnesse. The 575 will drive into the rock territory much easier than the eagle. It just depends on what you're looking for...

Wish I could spend a week in a room with many archtop guitars, pickups, strings, and amplification (okay.. maybe longer than a week).

How about spending the rest of your life on this quest?

Kenny Burrell a few years ago was still searching for a balance between electric and acoustic in his tones.

The guitar is only a part of the equation, certainly less than half. The strings, amp, pickup and technique are all very important.

How about spending the rest of your life on this quest?

Kenny Burrell a few years ago was still searching for a balance between electric and acoustic in his tones.

The guitar is only a part of the equation, certainly less than half. The strings, amp, pickup and technique are all very important.

This is some sage advice here. Or should I say hear? It is a unending journey.

I have been guilty of a lot of tone searching over the 25 years of playing guitar and I have come to this conclusion.....

I will always sound like me, for good or for bad, like me.

I am now embrassing this.

I know what I like and I know what I sound like and that is good enough.

The first step was a great Heritage Guitar, then a good amp ( or even a good modeler, ie Axe-Fx), strings and picks I like, and the rest is up to my fingers. I see guys chasing their tail for years looking for THAT TONE, that honestly if it isn't in their fingers they are never going to get it.

If you do want a more acoustic tone a floating pickup is the way to go, the rest is up to your fingers.

Finding an archtop with a good acoustic tone is the first step. During recording, try micing both the amp and the guitar and than blending the two . This should get you close to the sound you desire.

A lot of guys have done this including Jim Hall and Julian Lage. Lage often does this live as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMOyKiuB08

The Lage video was amazing. It's also one of the most instructive things I've seen on tone. Thanks Jp. Of course there's the matter of how much it costs to get an archtop with great acoustic tone not to mention the fuss of a mic setup. But it does certainly make you think about what's possible. You could mix a piezo, a Kent Armstrong, and a mic..

Here is a video with K Burrell on Greek TV. He starts on a flat top which just doesn't sound right to me at all. He then switches to an archtop and has the sound we associate with KB but it's kind of a 2 dimensional (though very liquid) sound. There is something in between these two extremes that is just right. Of course, I may have to look into a 2nd mortgage..

Thanks for all the comments. Great insights.

The Lage video was amazing. It's also one of the most instructive things I've seen on tone. Thanks Jp. Of course there's the matter of how much it costs to get an archtop with great acoustic tone not to mention the fuss of a mic setup. But it does certainly make you think about what's possible. You could mix a piezo, a Kent Armstrong, and a mic..

Here is a video with K Burrell on Greek TV. He starts on a flat top which just doesn't sound right to me at all. He then switches to an archtop and has the sound we associate with KB but it's kind of a 2 dimensional (though very liquid) sound. There is something in between these two extremes that is just right. Of course, I may have to look into a 2nd mortgage..

Thanks for all the comments. Great insights.

Tom Painter's guitars have a nice tone that you might dig. Not an acoustic but not the electric blues tone that Kenny goes for (Heritage guitars nail this vintage tone btw just in case you change your mind and eventually want to go for that tone). I used to own one and it was very nice. I ended up wanting more of that Burrell type bite though so I sold it.

Archived