Heritage Owners Club

MY KBP AMP!

knopfler74

Congratulations on the amp; It sounds very cool, and I can assure you Brian does a great job; I love my Tweed Deluxe!

I think you should convince your school principal to let you show the Starz Network series "Spartacus" in class, so that they can get their History lesson AND Sex Education all in one sitting, haha. If you haven't seen it, "Spartacus" is a GREAT show!

http://www.starz.com...inals/spartacus

LMAO!

I have no idea what to say except.....thanks for posting that!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chernobyl (because it's so hot, it's nuclear!)

Oh so politically incorrect.... I LOVE IT! That might be it!

Winston - as it is British voiced.

or

Stentorian (look it up) - a play on the Latin origin of Vox and its meaning in Latin.

Good lord, this is an amazing idea! Stentorian is an amazing name. I am completely torn between Chernobyl and Stentorian...

It's times like these when I wish I could meet all of you for a beer after work every day!

: ) No, I'm not - seriously - google the word.

I believe you.. i'm just teasing.. :icon_smile:

Right now I'm leaning toward Stentorian because I'm a little worried that someone might take offense at Chernobyl. After all, it was a nuclear disaster that killed a lot of people. In fact, the numbers on casualties are pretty vague, depending on who you talk to. The following quote comes from wikipedia, which is a source I would NEVER let my students use, but the article on Chernobyl is at least moderately accurate...to some degree anyway. SO....the following quote should be taken with a dose of mild skepticism at the very least.

"Thirty one deaths are directly attributed to the accident, all among the reactor staff and emergency workers.[12] An UNSCEAR report places the total confirmed deaths from radiation at 64 as of 2008. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the death toll could reach 4,000 civilian deaths, a figure which does not include military clean-up worker casualties.[13] The Union of Concerned Scientists estimate that for the broader population there will be 50,000 excess cancer cases resulting in 25,000 excess cancer deaths.[14] The 2006 TORCH report predicted 30,000 to 60,000 cancer deaths as a result of Chernobyl fallout.[15] A Greenpeace report puts this figure at 200,000 or more. A Russian publication, Chernobyl, concludes that 985,000 premature cancer deaths occurred worldwide between 1986 and 2004 as a result of radioactive contamination from Chernobyl.[16]"

These numbers don't include the hundreds of innocent children born with horrific birth defects as a result of the accident. There was a 60 minutes or 20/20 episode about that years ago, and while I don't remember it eaxctly, the images I remember were horrific.

All that being said, the Chernobyl idea, while creative and worthy, is a little dicey in my mind. In a less politically correct world perhaps, but something in my gut tells me it falls into the bad taste category. That category is one I don't mind living in...usually, but with this, considering the horrific human toll it took and the very real consequences for what was, at the time, Russian ineptitude, I'm gonna pass on using the name. The suggestion; however, is very much appreciated, and my lack of choosing it in no way implies that I personally find it overly distasteful. It was a good suggestion, and I appreciate it...sincerely!

Ok, now that we've cleared that up, I'm leaning toward Stentorian. Has kind of a geeky ring to it, expresses something COMLETELY germain to the amp itself, and is just well...cool.

any other suggestions would be welcome because my trannies are on order with KBP810, and it will be around four weeks till he can complete the amp...plenty of time to come up with a fitting name.

Hope all is well with all of you out there..... :icon_thumright:

Please note: The primary author of the study simply titled Chernobyl, is named Alexey V. Yablokov, and he is a founder of Russia's chapter of Greenpeace, so it should be no surprise, to anyone with the slightest modicum of critical thinking skills, that his numbers would be most extreme of all those cited. In point of fact, all the studies mentioned in this wiki article were done, with the exception of course of the Russian government studies, by organizations who have contributors with very clear political aims....most of which, I agree with, but nonetheless, that fact should be well established before taking any of those sources, including the Union of Concerned Scientists, to heart.

The truth, as usual, proves elusive.

Please note: The primary author of the study simply titled Chernobyl, is named Alexey V. Yablokov, and he is a founder of Russia's chapter of Greenpeace, so it should be no surprise, to anyone with the slightest modicum of critical thinking skills, that his numbers would be most extreme of all those cited. In point of fact, all the studies mentioned in this wiki article were done, with the exception of course of the Russian government studies, by organizations who have contributors with very clear political aims....most of which, I agree with, but nonetheless, that fact should be well established before taking any of those sources, including the Union of Concerned Scientists, to heart.

The truth, as usual, proves elusive.

The Russians had political aims too...stupid me...sorry!

I know I'm hijacking my own thread, but because I'm a history teacher, I can't resist. If any of you are interested, I've posted a link to an outstanding documentary on the Chernobyl accident from 2006. It's outstanding, and it reveals some information in the first ten minutes that 99% of us never knew, including myself! It's well worth the time...if you're interested. Read: Fellow history dorks like me...

All that being said, the Chernobyl idea, while creative and worthy, is a little dicey in my mind. In a less politically correct world perhaps, but something in my gut tells me it falls into the bad taste category.

What? PC? it's not like I suggested Fukushima Shakedown for a name...which really wouldn't even work since the tubes are from Russia.

But yeah, I totally understand your hesitancy about using that name. As my wife would say...I'm jaded so I don't usually think in PC terms.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived