Heritage Owners Club

Archtop strap button survey

Teeky

Results of the survey

I have counted the votes or read between the lines and the results are as follows:

#1 - posn 2

#2 - posn 4

#3 - posn 1

#4 - posn 3

#5 - posn 5

Overall most popular to have the button on the back of the guitar (posns 2 & 1). This is best for aesthetic reasons and the strap lays flat from chest to guitar. It may not hang as well standing up but does that matter? There may be more big archtop players who sit to play, in which case no problem.

#4 probably hangs better but has more possibility of the strap causing visible marks in the nitro on the heel.

#3 it is believed hangs the best but causes concern to many regarding the reinforcement required to support the thin side wall.

Although a number expressed a preference for posn 5, no-one it seems post-1396-0-73944800-1331926118_thumb.jpghas actually installed one there. Would the odd appearance affect its saleability?

Ultimately the choice is yours and you must agonise as you see fit!

Just saw this on thread about 2006 catalog.

http://web.archive.o...hick%20Body.jpg

Thanks Skydog. I have seen that previously on the StewMac website. Didn't realise that was also what Heritage recommends. Shame they don't still include that on their current website.

Sorry for my mistake in suggesting that Heritage recommended the "side of heel" location. I did try to search for the doc., but I missed the archived stuff. I think --and that's probably not worth much-- that the main difference between a recommendation of "4" and "5" would be the shape/construction of the neck heel. On most Martin-inspired acoustics, and some other guitars, the heel is tapered from top to bottom and from back to front, and shaped to a rounded point at the bottom, so that placing the pin in the "4" position would put it on an almost pointed edge, and in an area of reduced width --however, that doesn't apply to the heel in the pic --nearly flat front, same width top to bottom. (And, as Teeky pointed out, the "4" spot avoids the "out of balance" look of "5," if there is not a problem with heel shape.)

I try to follow Mark Twain's dictum: (to paraphrase): better to sit silent and have folks assume you are ignorant than to open your mouth and prove it. Missed on this one.

Archived