Heritage Owners Club

Archtop strap button survey

Teeky

Not all archtops are supplied with heel end strap buttons, so there's a variety of choices one can make.

It would be interesting to find out which are the most popular positions, especially for the larger archtops like Eagles.

Refering to the picture can you repond with 1,2,3,4 or 5 depending on the positions of strap buttons on archtops you own, and maybe even why you like (or don't like) the position. Like does it hang forward, or back or does it get in the way for high fretting, or is it a Goldilocks position etc.

post-1396-0-74373000-1331490314_thumb.jpg

I prefer 3. Second choice is 5.

That said mine all have 1 or 2. The problem with this is that the guitar is forced off balance and wants to fall forward. The button should be on centerline. #3 may require adding a small block of wood inside the guitar.

I prefer 3. Second choice is 5.

That said mine all have 1 or 2. The problem with this is that the guitar is forced off balance and wants to fall forward. The button should be on centerline. #3 may require adding a small block of wood inside the guitar.

#3 is the preferred option for many solid bodies but not so easy for an archtop. The thought of glueing a small block of accurately placed wood at the the far end of the guitar through an f hole is not a job to be undertaken lightly!

Just install all five and you've got it covered ;)

I should have guessed someone would suggest the 'complete' option. It would always make an interesting topic of conversation, even if it was only to query your sanity. :crazy_mini:

I went with #3, but a bit farther from the neck. When I had my H-550 I took it down to the factory and had them add a button to the rim at the upper bout just as if it was a giant hollow H-150. They glued a small backer block to the rim to receive the screw. It worked great, and there was no tendency for the guitar to fall forward away from you like many guitars with heel mounted buttons do. There was zero effect on tone.

I've been trying to get the "Wes tone" for year. Now I know it's the headstock loop. I don't have an upper strap button on my big body archtops. My belief is if they had been meant to have one, Ren would have put one on. :)

I'm pretty sure that "5" was the location recommended on the Heritage site; and usually recommended for acoustics. There are trade-offs of strength and balance in all these locations --even with a block, "3" puts stress on a part of the upper bout that is not designed to bear the weight of the guitar. (At least, when I had my old Super 400, my luthier insisted that I remove a pin that had been placed there before I got the guitar, and argued even with a block it shouldn't go back.) I think looping the headstock is fine if you are sitting down and using the strap to prevent the guitar from sliding off your lap. I wouldn't, however, let a strap like that bear the weight of an archtop with electronics for long periods --too much stress at the wrong places, IMHO, although certainly it has been done and guitars have survived.

3 on archtops and acoustics. However, only if a solid block is properly glued in place at the corner with the neck to support it. That way I don't worry when I twirl the guitar around my back while sliding on my knees across stage with the flashpots going off.

That way I don't worry when I twirl the guitar around my back while sliding on my knees across stage with the flashpots going off.

And this is SO much easier with a shiny leather strap, don't you find? :D

I'm pretty sure that "5" was the location recommended on the Heritage site; and usually recommended for acoustics. There are trade-offs of strength and balance in all these locations --even with a block, "3" puts stress on a part of the upper bout that is not designed to bear the weight of the guitar. (At least, when I had my old Super 400, my luthier insisted that I remove a pin that had been placed there before I got the guitar, and argued even with a block it shouldn't go back.) I think looping the headstock is fine if you are sitting down and using the strap to prevent the guitar from sliding off your lap. I wouldn't, however, let a strap like that bear the weight of an archtop with electronics for long periods --too much stress at the wrong places, IMHO, although certainly it has been done and guitars have survived.

A wise observation to be wary of looping the headstock especially with a heavy archtop.

After a bit of thought you can visualise the long neck acting as a lever to distress the tolerances of just thousands of an inch required for a good setup.

Oops I haven't entered a position myself yet.

H-575 #1 though 3/8" off centre away from cutaway. Hangs vertical or 5deg towards me

If you have a block glued to the neck block and that's what the screw goes into, not sure how '3' will put a strain on the shell?

I agree, if the block transferred the load to the neck joint. However, I've seen more than one guitar where a small block was installed (sometimes with no glue at all, simply to receive the screw; the weight was still born by the upper bout and by the top edge of the screw hole, Particular in a solid wood guitar this can lead to cracks around the hole, a and transfers stress to the point at which the rim meets the neck heel.

I agree, if the block transferred the load to the neck joint. However, I've seen more than one guitar where a small block was installed (sometimes with no glue at all, simply to receive the screw; the weight was still born by the upper bout and by the top edge of the screw hole, Particular in a solid wood guitar this can lead to cracks around the hole, a and transfers stress to the point at which the rim meets the neck heel.

I had a custom maker, Jamie Kinscherff, ask that the button not go in 'position 3' even though it was clear a backing block would be solidly glued to the neck block to transfer the load. Was never really clear why he was opposed to this but I went ahead and let him put the button on the neck. I have other nice guitars that do have a block installed and I've never had problems with them and they all benefit what, for me, is a better balance point. Your observation that some may fail to securely attach the backing block to the neck to transfer the load is no doubt correct and in New Mexico this is considered justification for beating about the head and shoulders with an Esteban.

Archived