Heritage Owners Club

H-150 bodies: one piece or two? - noob question

guitarjump

I saw an ad on ebay for an H-150 that obviously has a two-piece back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERITAGE-H-150CM-W-ORI...1QQcmdZViewItem

On the Heritage website site the description for H-150's is "solid mahogany" body. I suppose I'd assumed this meant one piece. Is there any way to tell if an H-150 model would be a one-piece or two piece body? Is this random? I know with G* models these days (for Standards, at least) it's a crapshoot.

Thanks, in advance.

A wonderful luthier I asked this question said it does not make much difference sound wise if you have a one or a two piece body. There is a disadvantage with singular piece of body wood: if the particular wood has not aged it may start to 'work' in a way you will not like. So I wouldn't worry about two pieces.

My H150CM LW has a 1-piece back. The other one I used to have had a 2-piece back. The only difference, IMHO, is visual. Some "purists" over at the LP Forum have a different opinion, however.

well...my 150 and my VIP2 do have the two pieces and again it is not necessarily a sign of better quality

it is probably one more example of internet LP forum balderdash of the long neck tenon category

let's send our correspondent Brent to discuss this at Parsons St. - I mean the boys there have dealt with a lot of famous guitars

I saw an ad on ebay for an H-150 that obviously has a two-piece back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERITAGE-H-150CM-W-ORI...1QQcmdZViewItem

On the Heritage website site the description for H-150's is "solid mahogany" body. I suppose I'd assumed this meant one piece. Is there any way to tell if an H-150 model would be a one-piece or two piece body? Is this random? I know with G* models these days (for Standards, at least) it's a crapshoot.

Thanks, in advance.

Maybe I am missing something but how can you tell this guitar has a two piece back from this photo? I see only the top and thats the only picture on the add. its a matched top like most les pauls but there is no way to tell what the back is like.

Maybe I am missing something but how can you tell this guitar has a two piece back from this photo? I see only the top and thats the only picture on the add. its a matched top like most les pauls but there is no way to tell what the back is like.

If you scroll over to the right there are more pictures and the last one is the back.

Yes the H-150 in the ad has one of the most blatant two-piece backs I've seen - on any guitar. There's no attempt to match the grain,or blend in.  I would expect a 'custom shop' level instrument to be of top-level construction - therefore one piece. It's a lot cheaper to get smaller pieces and glue them together.

It only matters to the person playing it. If there is a difference in sound, it would take very expensive, highly sensitive equipment to detect a sonic difference that would far surpass anything the human ear could ever detect.

My first run H-137D is not just a one piece back, it's just one piece!  And it sounds great just sitting on the stand.  Look at it!  LOOK AT IT!  Can you hear the sustain?!

(OK, it might be time to turn off the coffee maker)

I agree that a well-joined two-piece slab of mahogany is probably not going to be much different in its contribution to tone than a one piece slab, but I think this thread provides an interesting example of how attitude shapes perception.  We are favorably inclined towards Heritage, so there's little complaint about the difference in construction practice.  In most vintage guitar discussions I've heard or read, however, the fact that Norlin went to the pancake body on Les Pauls is generally pointed to as one very clear sign of the beginning of the end for Gibson quality.  (...and we have had threads that celebrated the particular contribution of wood to Heritage 150/157 tone.)

I'd speculate that the magic glue that allows resonance not to be an issue in this thread lies within this community, not between the two pieces of wood, just as many of our attitudes towards our guitars have more to do with society than with physics. 

Speaking about glue... does Heritage still use hide glue to bind the tops? There is a interview from the book about the McCarty area where Ted remarks about how Paul Smith was the only one who asked what type of glue was used between the maple cap and mahogany. Also, the latest Stew-Mac trade secrets was all about hide glue drying to a crystal hardness vs alternatives being able to stretch. Perhaps it is not how many pieces but rather how they are joined.

I have an article from the 1988 chemical & engineering news, "chemistry and the violin" where they examine the woods, varnish, curing, aging and assembly techniques from 16th century Italian artisans. They go into microspic detail. I could email it should anyone be interested or wish to post.

Archived