Heritage Owners Club

My new H-157 is here!

pro-fusion

I'm just in awe of how beautiful my new H-157 is.  It really is like a work of art.

It's been about 10 years since I owned my last Les Paul Custom, and I'd forgotten just how much bite they have, along with the body.  You might call it a "smooth snarl."  This H-157 weighs in at about 10 lbs. and just has a monstrously big tone.  But not thick or muddy, since it has that bite to it.  The sustain is frightening.  I definitely don't think it needs a ceramic bridge pickup, and I'm rather happy with the 59s.  I might end up trying a JB in the bridge just to get a little more "oomph", but I'm not even sure that's necessary.  For those of you who didn't see my posts in the "welcome" thread, here is the auction listing I got it from, which has far better pictures than I can take of it right now in my dark, cluttered cave of an apartment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=008

However, I did just take a couple of photos of the H-157 with a couple of other members of my guitar family:

width=400 height=480http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/acoberst/guitars/Grouppics006.jpg[/img]

width=269 height=480http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/acoberst/guitars/Grouppics007.jpg[/img]

The silver guitar is an ESP MV-USA, which is a 24'75" shredder that sounds fantastic, and the yellow guitar is my KXK Sii-7 custom 7-string, which is a totally lovable freak.  My beloved Jackson Soloist Pro is currently resting in its case, waiting to pounce on the unwary.

I'm completely impressed with the craftsmanship and mojo of the H-157.  It really feels like a guitar that was built by human hands.  The fit and finish are first-rate.  I put 8-38 gauge strings on it, cranked the action down low, and immediately started ripping out some imitation Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin stuff...  :)

I probably do need to get a wider strap to take some of the load off my shoulder.  The weight itself isn't a problem, but a thin strap gets a bit uncomfortable.  The only nit I can pick is that I wish the strap pins were a bit bigger, to keep things nice and safe.

Good stuff. Glad your liking it. I find my 150 quite addictive.

I know what you mean about the weight, took me a while to get use to it. All good now :)

Your other guitars seem very shred orientated. 80's have an impact on you huh ;D

I try to shred but cant, love all those players that can.

Maybe I should try 8-38's.

Good stuff. Glad your liking it. I find my 150 quite addictive.

I know what you mean about the weight, took me a while to get use to it. All good now :)

Your other guitars seem very shred orientated. 80's have an impact on you huh ;D

I try to shred but cant, love all those players that can.

Maybe I should try 8-38's.

8-38s are great, but require a fairly soft touch with both hands, since they can bend out of tune quite easily.  I find that I have more control and can do wilder stuff with 8-38s, but you do give a certain amount of sonic heft with them.

I'm totally into the shred guitars.  Funny thing is, back in the '80s I was all about the Les Pauls and Strats, and it wasn't until the last 10 years or so that I took up Jacksons and ESPs full time.  One nice thing about playing shred stuff on a guitar like the H-157 is that you don't hear so many players do that anymore.

Nice looking guitar.  I'd love a 157 in black and tan, but the "black beauty" is stunning, too.  I used to work with a guy who had the 7th (or 9th, I can never remember any more) actual late 50s Black Beauty that was built.  It was all lacquer checked and tarnished, and it weighed a ton, but it rang like a bell (acoustically) and could do jazz to blues to whatever.  I hope yours treats you as well as his treated him (he had purchased it new).

It's funny your handle is "pro-fusion" and you like to play Jackson's.  When I saw your first post, the very first thing that came to mind was "Jackson Fusion."  Those guitars have always intrigued me, but the only ones I have ever seen come up have been Japanese.  I'm pretty sure they made some in the US, with MOP logo instead of the "Jackson Professional," but I never see them for sale. 

It's funny your handle is "pro-fusion" and you like to play Jackson's.  When I saw your first post, the very first thing that came to mind was "Jackson Fusion."  Those guitars have always intrigued me, but the only ones I have ever seen come up have been Japanese.  I'm pretty sure they made some in the US, with MOP logo instead of the "Jackson Professional," but I never see them for sale. 

That's actually where I got this name (which I also use on a Jackson board), since I had a Jackson Fusion Pro at the time I signed up there.  They're cool guitars, but I can't get along with the basswood body--though some of the USA Fusions might have alder or poplar.  BTW, look out for the actual "Fusion Pro" model, which was Japanese but made to the exact specs as the USA guitars--MOP logo (which still says "Professional"), ebony board, metal back plates, etc.  They made them in 1990-91, but that whole line of "Pro" models cut into sales of the USA guitars so much that they downgraded the Professional line to the ones you typically see.  My 1990 Soloist Pro is the same thing--it has all the USA features, but I got it for very cheap a couple of years ago.  The USA Fusions are also very nice--you used to see quite a few of them on eBay, but not anymore.  They must have all found happy owners who don't want to sell.  :)

pro-fusion, we have to find you a Heritage Stat for your shredding tendacies.  :)

here's a photo link to mine, it is a strat on steroids my friend.

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll185/H...6%20Stat%20CSB/

best wishes with the black beauty.

I'm just in awe of how beautiful my new H-157 is.  It really is like a work of art.

Was a bit worried there for a moment.. I saw your pix and had to go check and make sure mine (which looks exactly like yours) was still in its case. Phew !!!

Knew you'd like it, I hope its the beginning og a long tone filled relationship.

Can't quite imagine playing 8's. I have mine strung with 10s, and the only guitar I have 9's on is my Strat. I'm too clumsy to play with the lighter strings since the stiffer strings help to cover for my fat fingers.  >:(

Can't quite imagine playing 8's. I have mine strung with 10s, and the only guitar I have 9's on is my Strat. I'm too clumsy to play with the lighter strings since the stiffer strings help to cover for my fat fingers.  >:(

I didn't used to play with 8's, but I came down with carpal tunnel syndrome several years ago, and I had to upgrade my playing techniques and modify my guitar setups.  Since doing so, I've never had a recurrence, even though I practice my speed playing pretty often.  On guitars with Floyds, I use 9's because there isn't as much string tension, and on my 7-string, I use a 10-58 set tuned down to D standard with extremely low action.

The 8's allow me to do lots of crazy string bending ala Frank Marino and Alvin Lee.  I'd never be able to do that anymore on guitars with thick strings.

Always liked the Black Heritages. Well, I'm partial to dark bursts, but black is always classy! BTW, had a JB in my '75LPC for many many moons. It's a great pup. I think you'll like it in that 157. Congrats and welcome to the club.

Archived