Heritage Owners Club

BBE Boosta Grande

I've seen this in the store a few times in the used gear section for as low as $30. Is this pedal worth it? I've read some reviews stating they color tone and others say they are fantastic. I believe BigBob was looking for boost options too once, but just like him I've found using the volume knob in a live situation is rather hard to get used to. I've considered this or some of the other OD/Distortion pedals that have a boost function. This had a Guitar Player Top Pick award once. Any thoughts on one of these?

Boosta_Grande_L.jpg

Go to google language tools, translate "grande bosta" from Portuguese to English, and...well, you'll see.

Had one. Sold it to Lance :-) Not sure he ever got used to it. I think it colors the tone. And adds gain as much as a boost.

I also have a Heavy Electronics boost. Don't use it either. I'm in the vol control users group. Just like any technique you have to practice it. And ... uh, I use a volume pedal, too.

Go to google language tools, translate "grande bosta" from Portuguese to English, and...well, you'll see.

Big Crap? Wow, now that's funny! Didn't think about that. :lol: .... Perhaps they should of named it Merda Quente.... (funny how Portuguese and Spanish Slang words are nearly the same)

I've one I use sometimes with single coil guits to slam/boost the signal into a tweed amp such that overdrive reached at a point similar to what humbuckers do. Worked well enough for that. I, too, use volume control on guits and usually use a BF style amp, so don't use it a whole lot. Graphics on mine are different... just a blue pedal, must be an older version. Think I paid 40 from CL a few years ago, like new, comes with an AC adaptor.

This is my take, when I use the boosta grande in a high gain setting, ie with the marshal, all I get is more gain and not much boost. When I use it with a clean amp, sound city, as a line driver or boost it works great. I generally use it right before the guitar or right before the amp.

I have MXR Micro Amp that I really like, but typically I don't really use it they way it's intended either. I use it more as a line driver to keep the "sparkle" in my tone. Generally I have it on when I have my delay on for the rockabilly kind of stuff, set just above unity so that it hit's the front of the amp harder. It will still be clean until I really dig in then there is just a hint of natural breakup.

I use my Bad Monkey for a litte bite, but I found when it comes to solo's, there is no punch with the strat. I've thought about adding another OD pedal or something like this to put the lead tone above and beyond so my solos stand out. Anyone use multiple pedals for this? I did start doing the volume knob thing where the volume is still allowing some of the crunch, but leaving a little room for the jump for lead licks, I'm just concerned I don't have enough lead practice to keep doing it...

I use my Bad Monkey for a litte bite, but I found when it comes to solo's, there is no punch with the strat. I've thought about adding another OD pedal or something like this to put the lead tone above and beyond so my solos stand out. Anyone use multiple pedals for this? I did start doing the volume knob thing where the volume is still allowing some of the crunch, but leaving a little room for the jump for lead licks, I'm just concerned I don't have enough lead practice to keep doing it...

Just keep doing it and you'll get to where you can turn up without even knowing that your doing it,just remember to turn back down after the solo. The most important thing is not getting tooloud and then getting back to your normal volume after the lead. If your band isn't paying attention, they will turn up with you and then it will just get louder and louder. It is actually better if the band just backs down a little when you solo, so that you are about the same volume as the vocals and no louder, otherwise, you turn up they get use to it and turn up, by now you've run out of volume and start reaching for your amp, now the bass player is reaching for his amp, you can't hear the vocals anymore the crowd is leaving the cops are on there way the bar owner is never going to call you back all your friends are laughing at you...

We are very careful when it comes to volume control during practice. We use low wattage amps and muffle the drums a little. We always do a sound check to make sure the volume levels are enough to cut through... I have practice again on Sunday, so I'll try it again then.

Archived