Heritage Owners Club

Nut material

davesultra

Agree. My strat has that set up and the guitar does not go out of tune from the time the strings are fully stretched in to the time I replace them even with some reasonably heavy trem manipulation.

JB- I know what you mean for sure. Just amazing how well that nut is designed. Mine never goes out of tune either and it's taken a steady 14 solid years of heavy abuse. It's the only guitar i have ever bought that i'v never gotten rid of later down the road, probably never will.

maintenance free?

Dont know....Ive never had to maintain it. But... I copied and pasted this. Not my typing.

The surfaceo f the ball bearingi s extremelyd urable. The only maintenancere quiredi s to keept he roller nut someu'hat

cleana nd dry. Occasionallby lowingd irt out of the nut with compresseadi r is a goodu ,a.vo f doing this. An occasionadl rop of

machineo il is permissibleb. ut usei t sBaringlr*.

Dont know....Ive never had to maintain it. But... I copied and pasted this. Not my typing.

The surfaceo f the ball bearingi s extremelyd urable. The only maintenancere quiredi s to keept he roller nut someu'hat

cleana nd dry. Occasionallby lowingd irt out of the nut with compresseadi r is a goodu ,a.vo f doing this. An occasionadl rop of

machineo il is permissibleb. ut usei t sBaringlr*.

So it can stay in tune but it can't help you learn to spell better??!!! LOL

It is a great invention. I wonder why more luthiers do't use it, unless it is a Fender patient????

I will say that my PRS, Fender Strat, and Thornton Fusion stay in tune VERY well too. But the "Jeff Beck" nut is a great insurance policy for being in tune. I heard he regularly goes a WHOLE entire show without tuning!!!!!!

So it can stay in tune but it can't help you learn to spell better??!!! LOL

It is a great invention. I wonder why more luthiers do't use it, unless it is a Fender patient????

I will say that my PRS, Fender Strat, and Thornton Fusion stay in tune VERY well too. But the "Jeff Beck" nut is a great insurance policy for being in tune. I heard he regularly goes a WHOLE entire show without tuning!!!!!!

I started to correct it after I pasted it and then thought, "meh, my cup of tea is just the right temperature". Im never going to foresake that for some one elses typo's. :)

My PRS swamp ash special stays in tune really well even with heavy trem usage. But I like the strat I have with this nut better. It feels good.

I already had a LesPaul with a Brass nut. Sounded great too, less differences between fretted note and open note... A good option for guitar with dull sound...

Also I discovered by chance a great lubricant for the nut... I use a product my wife spray in her hair!! Each time she sprayed some in her hair, the floor became very slippery where she stood for 1 or 2 weeks!!!... So I put some in a small jar and try on the nut! Perfect! I don't have the name with me and I'm far from home for 2 weeks, but I'll try to remember to post the name of the product... I think there is some castor oil or something like that in it...

While on the topic, does anyone know if the pre-cut TUSQ nut for Les Pauls have the correct spacing? I know I've used them in the past and they worked fine. However, I believe that was on an Epiphone.

Which nut do you prefer?

I think someone should upload clips, so we can do a blind test. Listen to one guitar with a plastic nut, one w/bone, one with tusq, one with corian, and one with hairspray. I wonder if we could really tell the difference.

So many nuts . . . so little time.

Myself, I doubt I could. But it would save me a little cash to go with a TUSQ which is readily available. Not to mention there would most likely be less finishing/shaping involved.

Yep, a very small amount.

I use a product caled Big Bends Nut Sauce which is a graphite/PTFE lubricant on some of my guitar's nuts. I comes in a great syringe applicator.

Chap Stick always works for me. I had some Lizard Spit graphite goop, but it always made the nut turn black. I know where that last part will go!

I use a product caled Big Bends Nut Sauce which is a graphite/PTFE lubricant on some of my guitar's nuts. I comes in a great syringe applicator.

I use the same stuff. It works great.

I like bone nuts for the aesthetics, but Tusq works as well to me. I have a couple of brass nut Matsumoku guitars and they are fine as well though I wouldn't want to make one from scratch.

Bingo...! And get it cut by someone who cares about what he's doing and knows what you want in the setup of your instrument. Nuts are just one part of the enitre set up.

damn straight!

Archived