Heritage Owners Club

More proof that the times are changing!

Kuz

I reckon it's a case of horses for courses. Artists who have a signature sound will use whatever gives them that sound - I doubt that Robben Ford will be retiring his Dumble! However, when I saw Zappa Plays Zappa last year, Dweezil was using his Axe-Fx rig and getting some fantastic tones. The evolution of his rig can be found here, and it's instructive to compare the diagrams of the different set-ups. He also makes the point that it's made transporting the gear on tour much easier.

I completely agree that some acts will never go to modelling equipment, but........

-many acts that prefer tube amps and use them live will still use the Axe-Fx just for it's effects (no amps or cab use from the A-F)

-Rush is using amps with cab simulators, but Alex has a dedicated Axe-Fx that has all his tones (presets) installed as a backup where he run the entire show through the AF if needed for a backup

-Robben Ford DOES have to give up his Dumble........ when he goes over seas he uses Twin Reverbs because the difference in voltage (and probably also uses Twins because they are easy to rent over seas). This was his European rig as of a few years ago. I don't know if he uses a power conditioner and hauls the Dumble with him now, but it used to be when in Europe he used Fender Twins and a Zen Drive...... and he still sounds like him!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Robben Ford DOES have to give up his Dumble........ when he goes over seas he uses Twin Reverbs because the difference in voltage (and probably also uses Twins because they are easy to rent over seas). This was his European rig as of a few years ago. I don't know if he uses a power conditioner and hauls the Dumble with him now, but it used to be when in Europe he used Fender Twins and a Zen Drive...... and he still sounds like him!!!

Just goes to show it's all in the fingers! Yes, most times I've seen him he's used a couple of "evil twins", though I remember him using his Dumble when he played Nottingham in 1994. I've attached a photo from his 2006 gig, when he played the Rescue Rooms (a relatively small venue). It was taken with a Fuji F30 compact - Robben doesn't seem to like photographers, so you have to be discreet...

It was at this gig that Matt Schofield joined him for a couple of numbers. First time I'd seen Matt and was very impressed - he more than held his own with RF.

post-1813-0-06541700-1336584457_thumb.jpg

Q1: What is the current amp that Johnny A uses to record and play live with???

A1: NONE, he goes straight in to the mixer.

Q2: What is the current speaker cabs/speakers that Rush is using on tour???

A2: NONE, they are using speaker simulators that go straight in to the PA & monitors.

Times are changing, don't fight it...... because soon it will be the norm.

Now I have to buy a PA and monitors? My wife will murder me.,Ai yi yi

I recently bought a new iPad, an Apogee Jam, and downloaded the Garageband app. I'm very impressed with the amp/effect simulations and being able to plug my guitar into the iPad with the minimum of fuss. The Apogee Jam works brilliantly with the iPad and my Macbook Pro. All I need now is some inspiration!

I recently bought a new iPad, an Apogee Jam, and downloaded the Garageband app. I'm very impressed with the amp/effect simulations and being able to plug my guitar into the iPad with the minimum of fuss. The Apogee Jam works brilliantly with the iPad and my Macbook Pro. All I need now is some inspiration!
I have the Apogee Jam coming.

I had to buy now as I am beta testing for Positive Grid's JamUp app Bass expansion. I've owned most of the amps in there and they dig the upright. :)

Q1: What is the current amp that Johnny A uses to record and play live with???

A1: NONE, he goes straight in to the mixer.

Q2: What is the current speaker cabs/speakers that Rush is using on tour???

A2: NONE, they are using speaker simulators that go straight in to the PA & monitors.

Times are changing, don't fight it...... because soon it will be the norm.

Agreed!, the technology has so much more options and convenience and with out all that weight and space amps and cabs ect ect take up. I was once a die hard tube driven purist not so long ago untill i woke up a realized whats out there nowadays is so much better and esier to use. I'm sure amps and effects in general where considered to out there to be of any good, but people came around, and they will soon enough on the whole old school set up thing. You can have any sound you want at a push of a button in a box the size of a dvr, with no hisses,pops and other wierd noises you cant ever seem to get completely gone with traditional set ups. never thought i would be a converter but hearing was believing. No need for a semi trailer full of gear anymore. Embrace this awsome technology because it will be the norm soon enough, besides you'll be glad you did.

Doesn't matter. There will always be people who don't give a hoot about modeling, me included. Those people will keep the traditional amp companies in business. New gadgetry always hurts the tried and trued at first. But just because its new doesn't meet it is going to stick around for the long haul. Why do you think there has been a resurgence in vinyl records and turntables? Certainly NOT because CD's or digital media is getting too expensive.

And...people can tell the difference!

Not trying to be a wise as# but most folks are putting 30,000 songs plus on a gadget smaller than a deck of cards, with the clarity and options that have never been rivaled. I can appreciate old school because i was around when it was but there is no denying that technology has obliterated anything previous. Cameras, camcorders, music devices, phones, and now it's amps and effects turn in the evolution of improvement. I cant wait till i can clip on a device to my belt the size of a business card and have it sound like a wall of old marshalls with any effect i want, and to top it off, it shall be cable less. To those of you who are set in your ways i understand. But i see nothing but good things coming our way for rig options, like the fact you dont need a rig anymore being the best. I know some agree some dont and thats fine either way.

Yup. I love old school looks. I have totally given up old school ways though. Tube amps are fine. I can do just as well with my Cube and software.

That divorce from old school was very difficult though. I still lovingly eyeball Fender Bassmans or Peavey 5150s and think of those days when I played to 1000+ people in clubs that came to see us specifically. Those days are gone and getting those amps won\'t change that. My back is much happier carrying the Cube or iPad.

Yup. I love old school looks. I have totally given up old school ways though. Tube amps are fine. I can do just as well with my Cube and software.

That divorce from old school was very difficult though. I still lovingly eyeball Fender Bassmans or Peavey 5150s and think of those days when I played to 1000+ people in clubs that came to see us specifically. Those days are gone and getting those amps won\'t change that. My back is much happier carrying the Cube or iPad.

Perfctly stated! I love that old school stuff but i dont have a need for all that huge heavy expensive stuff when i can carry what i need in a small dufle bag, and sound just as good as the finest of the old school rigs with out the hissing and odd noises. Man do i ever love technology. But i too was a slow and difficult converter at first I have to admit.

I've tried a lot of digital equipment. I vastly prefer tube amps. In my view the main problem with tube amps is the quality (or lack of) in current production vacuum tubes. OEM amp manufacturers want the CHEAPEST tubes they can get. They have a lot more to say about tube quality control than small, boutique builders. NOS tubes are fading away. Unless China and Russia improve their quality control due to competition, I doubt if it's going to get any better. Also, the materials used in vacuum tubes from the 50's to early 80's was superior to what's available and affordable today for tube manufacturers. I'm selling or have sold all my higher power tube amps. I'm keeping a really nice 18 watter and an old Tube Works solid state amp (with a 12ax7 in the overdrive channel). The next amp I will buy (if any) will be a well made solid state amp (not digital). I know people that go straight to the board with Line 6 stuff and others, but I believe there is a superior sound for an electric guitar that goes into a guitar amp and speaker. I don't like electric guitar going straight into 15's and horns. I can't stand my guitar signal coming back into a floor monitor. Sometimes I have to block the sound from my cabinet to keep stage volume down, but I'm still getting the effect of guitar to amp to guitar speaker. The tube situation sucks.

I agree with the statement on the state of modern tubes. I love the tone of my tube amps but if they are dependant on modern inferior tubes it is an issue. I am just a hack hobbyist though and tube amps work for me .

My son's new micro cube has arrived, will give it a shot this week.

I agree with the statement on the state of modern tubes. I love the tone of my tube amps but if they are dependant on modern inferior tubes it is an issue. I am just a hack hobbyist though and tube amps work for me .

My son's new micro cube has arrived, will give it a shot this week.

I have one. For very low volumes, it is a wonderful little amp. For much more than late night playing when everyone is trying to sleep, you'd need one of the larger versions.

Archived