Heritage Owners Club

Best amps for jazz

Guest HRB853370

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post!

Offspring, I've just purchased a Rivera Jazz suprema 112 online new but have never played it, it was a bit of a gamble but I have a feeling it's gonna be great, I just had a few questions about it.

Do you find it very versatile? I ask because I play a 335 and I do play jazz but I also do some gigs where its more funk/r'n'b and maybe rockish, do you find the jazz suprema able to cover different sounds?

I ask because the only clips I've found are of jazz guys playing big hollow body archtops, which is great but I was worried that it was going to be one sound.

Have you tried it with pedals, maybe an overdrive?

I was after a tube amp that could stay clean and seeing as I never use the overdrive on most amps (I like using an overdrive pedal) the Jazz suprema seems to be perfect for what I want.

Have you turned it up loud? do you think it would break up after a while?

Thanks so much in advance if you get time to answer some of these questions.

Thanks again!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though they don't make them anymore, I finally settled on what I found to be a great (and super light!) SS amp - the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. Loud enough for intimate clubs (or could be miked I suppose), and certainly fine for anything I'll ever need. If you ever see one on CL and want something that's easy to haul around and nails that classic jazz tone, check them out! I highly recommend the Fender cabinet made specifically for it (the head sits on top, held into place with magnets!).

post-7293-0-08353500-1342614201_thumb.jpg

All the amps stated in the thread are great choices, but the most overlooked amp out there is the Fender Bassman 25 wedge. This little monster has an effect loop for reverb etc. and sounds awesome with my Custom Eagle and H 574. Very Polytone like without the $$$ price. Ebay has them for about $100. It's just an awesome practice / small venue amp. All in, nothing beats the Ampeg Johnny Smith Fountain of Sound (1956-57?). Hope this helps.

Wow! Where did you find your JS Ampeg? Those have got to be very few and far between...

Not lightweight may be but I was able to get that velvet hammer sound out of my AC30 and the AC15.

I got 2 drives setup 1 RAT and a Maxon TS-9. Both very very little drive.

Now everything seems perfect.

I will try and post some sounds soon.

I got it together with my H-575 but still working on the Millie sound.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post here, so I'd like to introduce myself quickly before getting to my point. I'm a long time Heritage archtop owner and have played jazz for many years now. I'm excited to find a forum that caters to the followers of this wonderful company and hope to learn from all of you contributors.

As to the question at hand:

I've got a couple of solid state amps that work extremely well for jazz applications. The first is an older Evans 80. The Evans is a 120 watt amp that puts out incredible volume and sounds more like a tube amp than any solid state I've ever heard (it sounds far better than most tube amps as well). A strike against the Evans for many people may be the unusual tone control system. It's tone controls don't behave the way in which traditional Fender type tone controls would work. However, once you get used to the body control, you can actually find quite a few sounds which work very well for jazz.

The second of my jazz amps is my Acoustic Image Clarus 2. It's a wonderful amp in that it most accurately reproduces the sound of the input. It's a very natural (neutral) amp that adds nothing to the sound of the instrument it's amplifying. This characteristic works extraordinarily well with archtop guitars, being that they provide a great deal of acoustic character. This doesn't necessarily make it the best amp for solid body electrics, as they can be made to sound thin and lifeless through the Clarus. The Clarus 2R has the added advantage of a second channel with it's own tone controls and reverb, making it ideal for the performer who wants to carry one amp to serve as both the guitar amp and vocal PA. Although vocals won't sound as full and powerful as through a dedicated PA, it will do the job for smaller restaurant or coffeehouse gigs.

The second of my jazz amps is my Acoustic Image Clarus 2. It's a wonderful amp in that it most accurately reproduces the sound of the input. It's a very natural (neutral) amp that adds nothing to the sound of the instrument it's amplifying. This characteristic works extraordinarily well with archtop guitars, being that they provide a great deal of acoustic character. This doesn't necessarily make it the best amp for solid body electrics, as they can be made to sound thin and lifeless through the Clarus. The Clarus 2R has the added advantage of a second channel with it's own tone controls and reverb, making it ideal for the performer who wants to carry one amp to serve as both the guitar amp and vocal PA. Although vocals won't sound as full and powerful as through a dedicated PA, it will do the job for smaller restaurant or coffeehouse gigs.

I have an AI Clarus 2R. it is really super. As you say, very neutral. Really lets the character of the guitar come through with no "amp voice". great for an archtop and even semi-hollows. It is my main gigging amp. super reliable, light and small. With my Raezer's Edge 1x10 cab, it is a highly portable, great sounding combination. I do miss the tube amp character sometimes, and am now awaiting delivery on my KBP Bluenote to fill that void. Will post pics and clips upon arrival. I am very confident that it will belong on the "best amps for jazz" list. That's what it is built for.

I have an AI Clarus 2R. it is really super. As you say, very neutral. Really lets the character of the guitar come through with no "amp voice". great for an archtop and even semi-hollows. It is my main gigging amp. super reliable, light and small. With my Raezer's Edge 1x10 cab, it is a highly portable, great sounding combination. I do miss the tube amp character sometimes, and am now awaiting delivery on my KBP Bluenote to fill that void. Will post pics and clips upon arrival. I am very confident that it will belong on the "best amps for jazz" list. That's what it is built for.

If you ever make it back to the Bay Area (east bay, brother), be sure to let me know. I think if you plugged into my Heritage Patriot you'd hear what a great jazz amp it is. I can't wait to hear your review of your forthcoming Blue Note however.

KBP is a small custom builder of fine amps and longstanding member in this Heritage owners community. if you search this forum for kbp you will find some fine examples of his builds. i am very excited about my pending arrival. he is great to work with and well priced for what you are getting.

he is KBP810 in this forum.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post!

Offspring, I've just purchased a Rivera Jazz suprema 112 online new but have never played it, it was a bit of a gamble but I have a feeling it's gonna be great, I just had a few questions about it.

Do you find it very versatile? I ask because I play a 335 and I do play jazz but I also do some gigs where its more funk/r'n'b and maybe rockish, do you find the jazz suprema able to cover different sounds?

I ask because the only clips I've found are of jazz guys playing big hollow body archtops, which is great but I was worried that it was going to be one sound.

Have you tried it with pedals, maybe an overdrive?

I was after a tube amp that could stay clean and seeing as I never use the overdrive on most amps (I like using an overdrive pedal) the Jazz suprema seems to be perfect for what I want.

Have you turned it up loud? do you think it would break up after a while?

Thanks so much in advance if you get time to answer some of these questions.

Thanks again!!

Hi there JAZZACASTER and sorry for answering a little bit delayed.The jazz suprema has a great clean channel with the best JAZZ sound i found in any of the amps i used until now.It was built for jazz from ground up but...as any tube or solid amp it can be used with pedals and the rivera can do it very well although i dont use this amp with any pedals (but i tried an overdrive pedal on it...dream sound is the only thing i can say) .I play only jazz gigs and its perfect for that and for any CLEAN channel music including funk,RnB,blues etc.Also i can assure you that this amp DOES NOT break at loud volumes and thats another plus for jazz suprema and im talking about loud volumes with a Heritage Super Eagle....no howling no anyhting bad yet thanks to all these extra switches/options it has on it (for example the pull notch on the midle control can cut out feedback on an archtop guitar).So YES it can be very versatile YES you can use pedals and because of its EL-34 tubes it can produce a nice rock/hard rock sound and finaly NO it doesnt break up in high volumes.For me its the first amp after years i consider it to be a keeper.I hope i helped a little and hope you enjoy the jazz suprema as i do!!!!

Archived