Heritage Owners Club

Best amps for jazz

Guest HRB853370

iim7v7im7,

Thank You!

Sweeeeet ride!

Mr B

ps: just saw a Rivera Venus 3 112 on the web. Videos show it to have a Fenderish sound, but warmer and richer. Might be a good option. 18 watts, Celestion G12-H30, also available with a 10.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were a giggin musician, I would salivate over KBP810's amps. I'm not though, so I just deal with my Roland JC77. Its got a real nice clean channel. I bought mine for $250.00 used and it works great with my H575. The chorus isn't too bad either (although I use a Yamaha UD Stomp for most of my chorusing). The distortion is god-awful, but, that's not what I bought the amp for...in fact, the amp works very well with my pedal board (which is quite extensive)...the main difference between the JC77 and the JC120 are two 10" speakers vs. two 12's. I will say, even the JC77 is a heavy amp (being solid state and all)....not as bad as the JC120...a beast!

Speaking of which, Guitar Center had a 535 that looked alot like this one on clearence for $1050.

I would love to get my hands on a Riveria Elitist 12 string. They are somewhat hard to find though...

The older I get, the lighter the amp. That's MY story!

Started with a JC-120, but when my age equaled the JC's net weight, I shifted to a Roland Cube 60, a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight, then a Roland 80XL, finally ending up with another Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. ( sold the JU because I didn't know how to manage the tone controls. Same complaint as I have seen with the KPBs, I guess.)

Bought the 80XL, but sold it when I heard an Ultralight set up correctly and bought one for me on Ebay. It has used for over a year now of driving a 17-piece band with it and the '97 575, altrnating with backing up a great female singer with piano, bass and drums in what used to be called the "lounge circuit."

What matters is that I like the tone, I am 72 now (but only 17 in boy years), and i love to play. A lot.

The amp makes me sound and play better. And the amp-guitar combination really, really makes me sound and play better.

The end.

I have jazz taste, but not jazz chops. Were I ever to develop any, first choice would be my '58 Gibson GA40, or the Victoria Trem de la Trem I just got last week. The Victoria is a modern recreation of one tweed tremolux variant, while the Gibson in many ways is analagous to that Fender amp. Both have about the prettiest cleans imaginable, with loads of FAT on tap if you can get a little volume going. The GA40 manages to be dark and hot at the same time. Amazing amp.

MD

I have jazz taste' date=' but not jazz chops. Were I ever to develop any, first choice would be my \'58 Gibson GA40, or the Victoria Trem de la Trem I just got last week. The Victoria is a modern recreation of one tweed tremolux variant, while the Gibson in many ways is analagous to that Fender amp. Both have about the prettiest cleans imaginable, with loads of FAT on tap if you can get a little volume going. The GA40 manages to be dark and hot at the same time. Amazing amp.

MD[/quote']

Agreed on the GA40 cleans. Beautiful indeed!

If I were a giggin musician, I would salivate over KBP810's amps. I'm not though, so I just deal with my Roland JC77. Its got a real nice clean channel. I bought mine for $250.00 used and it works great with my H575. The chorus isn't too bad either (although I use a Yamaha UD Stomp for most of my chorusing). The distortion is god-awful, but, that's not what I bought the amp for...in fact, the amp works very well with my pedal board (which is quite extensive)...the main difference between the JC77 and the JC120 are two 10" speakers vs. two 12's. I will say, even the JC77 is a heavy amp (being solid state and all)....not as bad as the JC120...a beast!

You don't need to be a gigging musician.... His Tweed Deluxe and Reverb Deluxe are low wattage amps which work great for home and studio use.

There's been one for sale around here for that price...

Yes I know...I've seen it, but my money situation isn't what it used to be+I read somewhere that the guy selling the guitar "interviews" prospective buyers. If they don't gig, he won't sell it...maybe that's why it's been on CL for the last 18 months or so....I don't know though...again, I can't afford it so it doesn't matter who's selling it.

Slammer,

Sadly, I have to expose myself as a luddite / troglodyte.

(tube amps, vinyl on a turntable, real drummers instead of digital boxes, analog recording studios, cars that you have to back up yourself, land line telephones...)

PM?

So how do I get in touch of this amplifier guru?

Mr B

-------

You can PM him at KBP810. He builds them in his home and does not advertise. He has plenty of HOC testimonials, me included.

Guest HRB853370

KBP810 Tweed Deluxe with a 550 plugged into it sounds just glorious. I think I found a great amp for jazz tones. Now I just have to learn the genre.

I have seen all kinds of amps used for jazz except may be a Marshall.

For the tweed series, I would be careful for the extra mid-range.

Blackface designs might work out better for complex chords unless you will use single coils.

Then again, there is no rule! :)

Blackface designs might work out better for complex chords unless you will use single coils.

+1

For the tweed series' date=' I would be careful for the extra mid-range.

Then again, there is no rule! :)[/quote']

From a man who knows.

There is no hard fast rule on jazz amps. Gotta remember it is the guitarist that sells the tone, not the tone that sells the guitarist.

• 2 weeks later...

Never seen a marshal in jazz? then check out this pat martino video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9NqDij4OGY

I use a clarus with Redstone and RE cabs.

I got a Gallien Kruger MB 200 when I want a stereo rig, so I'll use the Clarus/redstone for one channel and GK/RE for the other. I'm pretty happy with the combination.

Weight is the overriding concern, otherwise I'd use some kind of fender tube amp or clone, maybe this great looking one

http://www.soundpure.com/p/rivera-suprema-jazz-combo-amplifier/2827

All the amps stated in the thread are great choices, but the most overlooked amp out there is the Fender Bassman 25 wedge. This little monster has an effect loop for reverb etc. and sounds awesome with my Custom Eagle and H 574. Very Polytone like without the $$$ price. Ebay has them for about $100. It's just an awesome practice / small venue amp. All in, nothing beats the Ampeg Johnny Smith Fountain of Sound (1956-57?). Hope this helps.

Here's my story about amps for jazz.Im a gigging jazz player and i was looking for THE tone you know i have to mention i've tried fenders,JC120,jazzkats etc).One day i saw an advertise for some handmade all-tube amp made especially for jazz.It was a rivera jazz suprema 112 and what can i say...i fell in love with the sound i heard on that youtube vid.These guys are located in california and they are making a VERY limited number of jazz supremas every year and if you think im living in Greece (europe) well its more than hard to get one of these.Last year i was lucky enough to find out that maxguitarstore located in Netherlands have one suprema and only ONE.The price is a little high (2270$) but it is worth every dollar.I got it a year ago and i'll never gonna change it.Warm tube sound not too heavy but even if it was i dont think a gigging musician would sacrifice this heavenly sound for weight issues.I would recomended to anyone archtop player.Well i know my post looks like advertisement but its not :icon_smile: im just really happy about it and i hope you all guys find your desired tone.

Archived