Heritage Owners Club

Help! String buzz on 535

Guest HRB853370

I ain't touchin those wheels on the bridge unless I have to. They scare me! I tried turning them with my fingers once on a 150 and they wouldn't turn. I resisted grabbing a pair of pliers to turn them, for fear of stripping off the "knurls" on the wheels as well as risking a slip of the pliers and there goes the top of my beautiful 150. Uh uh, ain't touchin dem wheels.

Relieve tension on the strings and you should be able to raise or lower that end of the bridge with your fingers.

Man up!

Guest HRB853370

Update. I gave the truss rod a 1/4 counterclockwise turn, checked it the next day, still a little buzz. So I gave it another 1/4 turn, and I will check it again when I return from out of town. Hopefully, the neck will have time to setttle with the adjustment.

Take it easy. A quarter turn is a lot. I don't think i've ever done more than that. Certainly not for a seasonal adjustment. Independent of the neck, some times fresh strings will make a buzz go away.

Take it easy. A quarter turn is a lot. I don't think i've ever done more than that. Certainly not for a seasonal adjustment. Independent of the neck, some times fresh strings will make a buzz go away.

+1 (a half turn total is a lot!!!)

First he was told to man up. Now he's too aggressive with the wrench!

I'd suggest that you leave the TRC off and go slowly. If you are loosening the nut, big turns won't hurt anything but you may easily overdo it.

Raising and lowering the bridge is also completely safe as long as no tools are involved. The exception is that you can loosen the Allen screws on a TonePros with a tool.

I always need to make a truss rod adjustment on my H555 between winter and summer due to the humidity. When the summer comes around, I "ll get a buzz within the first few frets which is remedied with a slight truss rod adjustment - no more, no less.

Guest HRB853370

First he was told to man up. Now he's too aggressive with the wrench!

I'd suggest that you leave the TRC off and go slowly. If you are loosening the nut, big turns won't hurt anything but you may easily overdo it.

Raising and lowering the bridge is also completely safe as long as no tools are involved. The exception is that you can loosen the Allen screws on a TonePros with a tool.

Not too aggressive. I wont loosen it anymore if it doesnt correct the problem. If I decide to raise the bridge slightly, just turn the wheels slightly counterclockwise, right? No tools needed.

Slammer,

How did this resolve? Your comments to Katy suggest that you had some success.

Per your comments about my new-to-me 575 and the New Mexico climate, I keep the buzz at a minimum with in-case humidification. Quite the opposite problem most of the board is facing.

Funny thing - I check my 535 this morning and no fret buzz, nada - it's in fine shape, good action. It's only the 150 that needs ajusting.

Archived