Heritage Owners Club

my heritage

mark010

hello..

I`m from Holland and i have a question about my heritage 150 classic...

I have Seymour Duncan Antiquity`s paf`s. and i wanted to make a real vintage guitar of it... So i ordered a vintage pre wired kit at internet with bumblebees... But now its the problem that is not sounding good, very muddy.... If i am turning the volume down to 5 its not good. Is it the bumblebees ?? ???

What can i do to make him sound better ?? ??? ??? I`m a huge Bluesbreaker fan..!! ;D ;D

My guitarteacher says that the guitar sounds bad, but i don`t think so. I think its the electronics... Or am i wrong ??

Greetings Mark

Hi Mark and Welcome to the HOC.

I'm afraid I myself don't have any experience with wiring kits or the like but there are plenty of guys here who do, I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

By the way it is an old HOC tradition to post pics of your guitar so all of the members can drool over it !

I hope you enjoy your time here.

Regards.

Welcome to the Club, Mark010!  Very nice looking guitar, thank you for sharing.  I am not a guitar electronics expert, but the very first thing I would try is lowering (or is it raising?) the pickups.  I know there was a thread here not too long ago about guitars with muddy, mushy mids and someone suggested adjusting pickup height and that solved the problem. 

But, like I said, I'm not an expert.  I am quite sure, though, one of of the guys here will know how to solve your problem for sure.  Again, welcome!

yeah you have a few dealers here...

haarguitars  in utrecht and westerhaven in groningen where i got my guitar from....

Interesting, they don't happen to have any lefty Heritage models in stock that they want to sell off real cheap do they ?  :angel:

Those lefties are very hard to get rid of you know !  ;D

Hey mark010, nice 150! It's a bit difficult to see the wiring as your picture is a bit blurry. I guess the first thing I would try is reversing the capacitors so that the ends with the red rings connect to the lugs on the volume pot. Sometimes that can have an influence on the tone. If possible try posting a clearer picture, that way we can get a better look at the wiring. Good luck!  :)

Mark, welcome to the HOC.  There's a lot of info on this site about pickups and electronics, so you might try a search or two. There are also some people around here who know a lot about getting the best tone. You'll probably hear from them shortly.

Mark,

Did you buy the guitar used?  What was in there before exactly and how did it sound?

What changes did you make?  Did you do the work yourself?

How much does the guitar weigh?

What pot values are you using? 500k?

Any add'l info or specs on this "vintage kit" you purchased/installed?

What value are your BB caps and are they authentic or repros?  I would be hesitant to use Bees in a Heritage (or any PIO caps) because they really warm up the tone and make it more woody...and knowing Heritage, they just don't need help in that area.   Heritages H-150's are very strong and powerful guitars with lots of mids and push, real beefy.  That's what makes them shine over most Gibsons.  Quality of wood and build, all top shelf.

Have you tried the 50's wiring scheme?

I would keep the Antiquities for now (I'm assuming they are the real deal, with aged A2 mags, and they are usually on the bright side and are unpotted).

1) Make sure the neck and bridge pickups aren't mixed up.  Measure each pickups output.  The hotter dcR should be the bridge position.

2) Make sure you have no shorts or grounding issues in the circuit at the switch, jack and pots.

3) Replace your pots and caps with "graded" (as close to 500k as you can find) CTS audio taper pots and Hovland capacitors.

4) On the hovlands, use a 0.01uF on the neck (hovland doesn't make a 0.015uF which is what I really like); and the standard 0.022uF on the bridge.

5) Use the largest value pot for your neck volume, 2nd largest on the bridge vol, 3rd on your bridge tone, lowest on the neck tone.

6) Try the 50's wiring scheme shown below.

Your pickups are great and shoud be plenty bright and open with good character and harmonics.  The controls, caps and wiring scheme should bring out the best in your Heritage and let the guitar and pickups do their thing.  The Hovlanda are VERY clear and transparent which is what you want with a Heritage.

This is a small effort but should get your guitar back on track straight away so that you can get back to playing.  And it should sound really, really good!!!!

wiring50s.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that you stated that your guitar teacher said it sounds bad, but you don't think so. If you think it sounds good, that's all that really matters! One thing I've learned over the years is that, "if it sounds good, leave it alone".

Another thing I noticed is that you stated that your guitar teacher said it sounds bad, but you don't think so. If you think it sounds good, that's all that really matters! One thing I've learned over the years is that, "if it sounds good, leave it alone".

He said it is not sounding good, but muddy....??

Teacher says it's the guitar, but I agree, a lot can be done/fixed via pickups and electronics.

I have Seymour Duncan Antiquity`s paf`s. and i wanted to make a real vintage guitar of it... So i ordered a vintage pre wired kit at internet with bumblebees... But now its the problem that is not sounding good, very muddy.... If i am turning the volume down to 5 its not good. Is it the bumblebees ??

Rule of thumb in trouble shooting - go back to before the problem began and trace it forward. Your statement would lead me to think that it sounded good before you put in the kit. Maybe it didn't sound "vintage", but it didn't sound muddy or bad. It's not the guitar, that is for sure. Good luck tracking it down. And welcome to the HoC. Beautiful guitar.

He said it is not sounding good, but muddy....??

Teacher says it's the guitar, but I agree, a lot can be done/fixed via pickups and electronics.

This one's gettin a little too weird for me, I'm outta' here!  :confused2:

Archived