Heritage Owners Club

Made in Kalamazoo: Heritage History

FredZepp

I just picked up this book at a book sale and wanted to share this bit...

( edited from The Illustrated Directory of Guitars , published in 2001 )

Gibson's departure form Kalamazoo,Michigan, in 1984 did not end the long history of guitar making there. A number of the company's emplyees decided to resign rather than make the 500 mile move to Nashville *, and three senior ex-staffers - plant manager Jim Deurloo, plant superintendent Marv Lamb, and J.P. Moats ( who had been in charge of wood purchasing , repairs, and custom orders) - made plans to continue fretted instrument construction in the town. Together with former Gibson accountant Bill Paige, they acquired premises and machinery from their previous employers , and set up their own business, Heritage Guitars Inc, in April 1985.

The firm's workforce was drawn from ex-Gibson craftsmenwho, like the four founder/owners, had chosen to remain in Kalamazoo. Their colective skill and experience is reflected in the superb quality of Heritage's output, which includes electric and acoustic guitars as well as mandolins and banjos. The company is steeped in the Gibson/Heritage tradition : it headstock logo, "The Heritage" , is and echo of "The Gibson" trademark used on its pre-war instuments; and a number of it's models are strongly influenced by classic Gibson designs.

This combination of expert craftsmanship and extensive customer choice - at highly competitive prices - has already brought Heritage considerable prestige, and after less than 15 years in business, it seems likely to succeed in its stated aim of creating " the collectible guitar of tomorrow" .

* ( it should probably be mentioned that only a few in management were offered positions at Gibson's Nashville plant when Kalamazoo closed )

Guest HRB853370

There is a certain "romanticism" about the whole Heritage story, and the continuance of guitar production in Kalamazoo post 1984. Just yesterday, I ran into a guy with a maize and blue M on his truck, in a parking lot. Our conversation was brief, but he was a Kalamazoo native, and I mentioned having been up there two months ago. He asked why, and I gave him the 30 second elevator speech about Heritage. He knew of Gibson of course, and of Heritage Guitar too!

Archived