Heritage Owners Club

New Heritage Guy

Cryoman

Greetings...New guy to Heritage.  I've recently purchased a H-535 and H-137 and I'm really very pleased with these two guitars.  I've owned a lot of guitars through the years starting with my brand new 1973 Gibson SG-II (purchased in 73, when I was 13).  I currently have a Les Paul Standard "Premium Plus," ES-339, ES-336, and SG Standard. I've owned 2 Les Paul Customs (79, 80). My two Heritages are just plain better guitars than all of these Gibsons.  I'm an engineer by training/profession, so I love to observe and report things with a fairly critical eye... so I'll probably start chiming in with lots of photos and long winded stuff.  Great forum. I really enjoy all the great reads here...

Cheers, Cryoman

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/c...geF-Hole001.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/c...Heritage535.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/c...-137Korina2.jpg

Welcome, Cryoman. 

Nice Heritages you've got there in addition to your other tasty gits. 

You are one of the first owners of the new Gibson ES339 AND a CS336.  I must admit, as a CS356 owner, I was really tempted to jump on a 339.  One of the big neck versions of those was in my sites when I came across a killer '07 H555.  Now my GAS has been satisfied...and wallet emptied............................... for a while at least.

We look forward to your comprehensive engineering analysis of each and every part of all of your guitars...and pictures.    :)

In my best Neil Young voice, "your a brother man!"   

We have common loves.  The 137 and the gaudy 535 are mine.  http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/

IWe have common loves.  The 137 and the gaudy 535 are mine.  http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/

Congratulations, Bird

Those are the best guitar pictures I have ever seen. And I have seen many. If you play your beauties as well as you take pictures we will here more from you  8)

About myself:

I am new to the HOC. After some few years of acoustic playing I gave up on the guitar about a century ago (wasn't good then, am not good now). Then I picked guitar playing up again about four years ago. Acoustic (Crafter Korea). A couple of years ago I bought a couple of cheap Korean electrics (a Peavey and a used Squier). Since January I am the proud owner of a Heritage H140CMCL (burnt amber). I love it and I will never part with it (my playing isn't substantially better than half a century ago, but that doesn't really matter as I play for myself and not for an audience). The guitar is light years better than the far east beginners instruments which I am going to take apart and use as practice material to get into soldering and (re)assembling (in case of failure, I won't destroy anything of any real value).

There is one major drawback to my H140, though. Now I dream of an H555  :P

Regards. Karl S

Hey all,  Thanks for the warm reception. 

Already I'm thinking of trading in a Gibson (or two) for another Heritage.  I've been amazed that Gibson is using acrylic trapezoid inlays on their SGs and Les Pauls.  Even the "Vintage Original Spec" (VOS) Gibsons that cost a thousand more just for those 3 initials are using the plastic inlays... I'm fairly chagrined that Gibson can think acrylic is original...

So here's a recent observation.  A close inspection of the H-535 through the f-holes shows the glue joints between both the tops and bottoms to the kerf blocks/strip around the rim to be very clean and with no gap.  The ES-339 by comparison has nearly no section (either top or bottom) where there is NOT a gap between the kerfed rim strip and the mating surface of the top or bottom.  It's so bad that I'd suggest that outer most portions of the arched laminate tops and bottoms of the 339 that flatten out to meet the rim strip are not even co-planer with the rim strip.  This observation suggests that the top and bottom of the 339 are not glued as securely to the rim as they should be by design.

On the other hand the 339 is rock solid, sounds great though.  That'll teach me to look so close, eh? 

Anyway, take dull minute between songs with a flashlight to explore the joints (for those of you with hollow or semi-hollow "H"s) - you'll be delighted with the super great workmanship on the Heritages.

Cheers, Cryoman

I'll try to take/post photos of this (if possible).  Best weekend to you all.

The VOS Gbrands are another marketing tool to separate you from your money.

With the price they charge for these plastic should not be part of the build up of these guitars. I'm sure some Gbrand PR man would tell you that it lasts just as long and doesn't make any difference to the tone of the guitar but the fact is that plastic is not vintage spec and they shouldn't be allowed to call it vintage spec.

Archived