Heritage Owners Club

P-90s in a Bucker hole

brentrocks

I had a preminition last night about turning the 150 P Goldie into a P-90 guitar :P  (thats why i changed my mind about Dick's HRWs)

I know there are some killer P-90s out there now-a-days, to fit a bucker hole.  I wanted the HOCs take on the situation and to reccomend a pup for me.  I'm looking for a warm tone w/ some bite on the bridge (may be asking too much?)

So what do you think i should do?

Does ThroBak make a pup like this????  becuse his guitar sounded fabulous and i figure he had his pups in it?

A lot of people like the Phat Cats, but they never did much for me personally (YMMV).

There are others like them as well; many to choose from--good luck!

Brent:

I never played my 150 at the barn, and I'm not sure you knew that it had P-90's in it, the Duncan Phat Cats, as did my 576.  I think you may have heard the 576, and Thierry played the 150.  I'm a Big advocate of those p'ups!  And they are designed to drop right in to humbucker routing.  Warm in the neck, bite at the bridge...I think they've got it!

Bill Lawrence makes a couple.. L610 & L609 either a  P90 sound or cross between P90 and Jazzmaster. Options for colors and power too @ $60.00 each. I have them in my PRS. Very happy... extremely quite too.

I got the Phat Cats with my new Heritage Kenny Burrell Groovemaster.  You can see my two posts for tone reports with both a Jazzkat and a Fender DRRI.  I've been very pleased with the sound on both amps, and the hum is minimal.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,1884.0.html

I played the Groovemaster through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on Tuesday with the same good results.  Like 'Slate said warm on the neck and lots of bite in the bridge.

If you're looking for a more upscale version, http://www.archtop.com has humbucker P-90s hand made by Kent Armstrong.These are not the Korean made models licensed under his name.  I got a Johnny Smith Kent Armstrong pickup from archtop.com and vouch for the superior quality to the Korean models (and I have no problems with foreign goods). 

Look no furher than Fralin P92s.  I have yet to hear a bad review of them, many people are switching their humbucker guitars over to them, some are even saying they have become their favorit pickup.  P90 tone without the hum, what's not to like about that?

I swapped a set into this (Don Grosh set necK) and absolutely love them:

width=600 height=399http://home.san.rr.com/renkluaf/60ab_3.jpg[/img]

Thank you for all the input guys!

after weighing all the options, i starting checking prices.

the phat cats seemed to have the best cost/effectiveness ratio according to reviews here.  then i found a gently used set of phat cats for $100..so i got them ;D

Archived