Heritage Owners Club

Funny how tastes change...

barrymclark

I burned a couple of hours at a couple shops today. I actually had a couple of hours to kill before a test. :)

So, I went looking for a good high gain amp as I have been lamenting the long-ago sale of my old 5150 head.

Well, the first thing I did was fire up a 6505 which is a 5150 but Peavey no longer has the rights to that name... for those that don't know. Anyways, it was ok. But... just too high toned for my liking. I just don't like my high gain... all that high gain. I mean, definitely gainy, but what is high gain today just grates my ears. I wheeled on over to the MESA/Boogie amps. To my surprise, I rather liked them. I had NEVER liked them in the past. They had a smooth gain and girth for days. Again, I still hate that you could mistake the front panel for ground control at NASA. Still, that was serious tone. LOTS of grunt. Specifically, this was the Dual Rectifier Roadster. Not a cheapy... but what MESA is?

Next, I wheeled on around to the Marshalls. I plugged into the new DSL100 (far east made now) and the tone was top notch. Loved it. Found a used TSL60 that I liked equally as well. The power amp seemed to have some mush to it but I think the tubes were just kinda tired.

I also MUCH preferred the sound of a passive-pickup-loaded Les Paul as opposed to the EMG loaded Ibanezes of my youth.

Just thought it was funny how things change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest HRB853370

I've been a huge fan of the Orange Tiny Terror, yet I'm shipping mine off tomorrow. Love the amp and it's gain, but I've found I now prefer clean, loud, warm toned amps that just need a tube screamer OD to give it some growl...

I bet the KBP810 Reverb Deluxe has those qualities. Hmm, and in orange tolex, probably even moreso....Just say......

I find my tastes change all the time. If one waits long enough, you'll like, once again, what you didn't favor in the past. That's an argument for keeping all your equipment! ; )

That's why I like my Axe-FX so much..... I can change my mind 70 times (70 amps) and then start from the beginning again!!!!

Archived