Heritage Owners Club

revived concert II

JeffB

I got my Fender Concert back from its first service in about 12-13 yrs.

Lately I havnt been quite able to dial something out or maybe in??? and it shouldnt be so hard, there is only volume, treble, bass, and presence.

Ive had some great sounds out it lately it but part of it wasnt right and the sound of the ocean was getting louder each week.

New 6l6s and some caps and things and other stuff and something about biasing.

Actually the bias thing was interesting( for me at least), the last time I got it serviced the guy who did the work mentioned it as well. He said something about how he had made it run colder by doing something so I wouldnt have to worry about going through tubes so fast( Ididnt actually have a problem with going through tubes).

He spoke in detail and it seemed remarkable and fascinating and I felt like I came away from the conversation smarter than I did before I entered into it. I also felt like the guy might be a genius. I also felt like he might agree.

The guy who did the work this time said that he removed the little system the other guy had put in and biased it more to spec. He said it was around 20 something which even I know is cold bias(mesa typically bias around 22 dibits).

The amp has always felt hard and unforgiving but Ive never minded, it reminded me of an acoustic guitar playing through it. I like that.

So after I got it back today I plugged it in next to a DRRI and a HRD3 and played for a while on each.

First reaction was my typical bass and treble settings on the concert were now too much! I pulled out lots of bass and backed off the treble. Very full sound and very rich. The reverb sat in the mix better, not so splatty and annoying on the top end.

I had been considering getting a DRRI for a while, but after going between the two its out of the equation. GAS killed.

I know theyre sort of different but after playing through the revived concert Im back in honey moon phase with an amp Ive owned since 1986.

Because Im long winded about most things and like to add little detours here and there, heres a vid I found on youtube of the guy who restored my love for the concert. Hope you enjoy it. I did. Hes the guy on guitar btw

Good story, Jeff! I'm glad you were able to fall back in love with that old friend. I love my DRRI BECAUSE of it's warm and rich sound.

I dug the video of the Zydecats! Man, how do you fiddle AND sing at the same time?! Oh, and that would be the ONLY way I'd end up with a "washboard" stomach...

Good story, Jeff! I'm glad you were able to fall back in love with that old friend. I love my DRRI BECAUSE of it's warm and rich sound.

I dug the video of the Zydecats! Man, how do you fiddle AND sing at the same time?! Oh, and that would be the ONLY way I'd end up with a "washboard" stomach...

Ask Charlie Daniels..he knows a thing or two about the fiddle and singing...

Archived