Heritage Owners Club

Swirl Marks

squawken

Hey Everyone

What do you recommend to keep the 150CM clean and polished, without incurring swirl marks in the finish?  It seems most of my guitars have been a matte or flat finish, so I don't have a lot of experience with this finish.  I don't want to polish it so much I rub the paint off!

I used Gibson polish for years. Now I use Preservation Polish from Stewart-MacDonald. It doesn't contain any silicone, which is supposed to be better for your instrument.

I've always used "Olde English" furniture polish, a liquid in a brown plastic bottle...kind of an offbrand but widely available, I think.  Particularly great on a rosewood fingerboard after a little dress with OOOO steel wool.  A little goes a long way.

I've had excellent results from using VIRTUOSO CLEANER & VIRTUOSO POLISH.

They're made for guitars and the cleaner eliminated the swirl marks in my darker stained guitars the best.

It is one of the only products I buy from Guitar Center these days.

As far as fretboards, Mineral Oil is recommended by the folks at Gryphon Musical Instrument Repair.

I'll second the Virtuosso vote.  Good stuff that doesn't build up.  I had high hopes for the Stewart MacDonald Preservation, but I didn't like it at all.  If you actully have swirl marks your are trying to remove, nothing beats Meguairs Mirror Glaze. You can find it at better auto part stores.  Fender even contracted Meguairs to make a cleaner/polish/swirl remover for guitars - it's good stuff as well.

Remember whatever the polish NEVER EVER use a polishing cloth made from synthetic materials ALWAYS use natural fibres preferably cotton, a piece of well laundered old 100% cotton T shirt is perfect

I'm pretty sure these "micro-fiber" poliishing clothes are not cotton (polyolefin, or similar).  I bought one from Heritage's accesories line.... I think I like the 100% cotton equivalents better.  My guess is that"micro-fiber" is more likely to leave swirls or marks.  Anyone have thoughts / experience on their use?  Thanks.

Cryoman

I think you are right.  I speak from experience on cars.  I have detailed my own cars for many years.  All the fancy stuff they sell never seems to work as well as an old cotton t-shirt or towel.  I wanted to translate my experience with cars to guitars.  I am a little wary because the finish on these guitars has to be softer than on a car.  And for just cleaning and polishing a guitar I just fund that Dunlop 64 works very nicely.

+1 on Virtuoso. Get their "Cleaner" and their Polish. On old vintage instruments (pre-1940), just use the cleaner. Avoid Dr Duck's Axe Wax. It leaves a sticky film on your guitar.

Also, be careful with lemon oil. Use it sparingly and wipe it off immediately. It's a good product but overuse can soften rosewood and even loosen frets if it's slathered on and not removed.

Archived