Heritage Owners Club

MESA/Boogie TA-15: All I can say is WOW.

barrymclark

I don't recall whom on here has one of these, but I FINALLY got a chance to play one and I am just floored.

It did everything from very clean and smooth AC type jazzier tones all the way up through some pretty hairy british type gain.

I played that, the TA-30 (its 40w bigger brother) and the RA-100 (its 100w cousin). While the Royal Atlantic is a bit of a different animal, it was pretty cool all the same.

I also played the Mini Rectifier. It did the Rectifier thing nicely. Cleaner tones weren't bad, but I preferred the TA series here. I just can't imagine using the gain the Rec has on tap. The TA? Oh yeah. I really dug that one.

Of all them, I preferred the TA-15.

HIGHLY recommend giving this model a listen if you haven't.

How could you not be impressed... What's impressive the most to me is the price tag.. I'm impressed anyone is willing to pay that much.... Not that its a bad or mariginal amp, its just a lot of money when there are other options for much less despite how great it sounds...

How could you not be impressed... What's impressive the most to me is the price tag.. I'm impressed anyone is willing to pay that much.... Not that its a bad or mariginal amp, its just a lot of money when there are other options for much less despite how great it sounds...

I am sure there are options and options I haven't even come across. But so far, the less expensive ones, no matter how bad I want them to, just didn't sound like this one. Now, to be fair, there are more expensive amps that didn't sound as good as this one to me. I just played amps today and didn't really pay much mind to price tags. I could say, though, that there are amps out there that sound as good as an aspect or two of the TA-15 to me but not all. That being said, I'd need a minimum of two amps to do what this one amp does for me tonewise. Let's say I want a Jet City 20H and an AC15 (I still haven't warmed up to Fender Mustangs). That is already about $100 over what I'd spend on the TA-15 MAP of $899. Now, the AC15 is a combo, but that doesn't do the Jet City any good so I'd have to get a cabinet. Now, here is where the Boogie gets a couple hundred more expensive. But, we are still talking only a couple hundred dollars difference and getting what I like all in one amp. Gotta say, this is my favorite amp I have played in a long time. I actually went there to play the Express 5:50. For everything but hard rock/metal, it was nice. I was underwhelmed otherwise.

I've got my inexpensive amp in the Cube. Love it. However, I am due to get a bonus next year, and I'd really like to get a Cadillac amp. $899 I can live with.

Perhaps their price tag has dropped, I thought they were around $1400 for a while...

OH! That's the TA30. That is something like $1599 or something now. As nice as it is, I would feel uncomfortable with that price... unless I just fell into some serious money. haha. But, as of now, yeah. That 25w would likely get as loud as I'd ever need it to be through the appropriate cabinets.

I had one and liked it, but ended up letting it go. Perhaps it was because I also own the Fryette Memphis 30, which though a larger amp, just sounded better in all areas to my ears. I bought the Mini-Recto about a month after they came out and really dig it. For me, it was the better of the two although I think the Fryette may still be the better amp. There's just something cool about being able to sling an amp over you shoulder and not herniate a disc in the process.

Grubber has one of these "lunchbox" TA 15's and it is fantastic! I have not found a more versatile, better sounding and playing amplifier. Period. Yep, it does have a Mesa price tag, but the company is second to none in customer service, and in Petaluma, CA (which I like to buy american when possible) not to mention it is built like a tank--as are all Mesa's. The TA 15 will be with me as long as I can play.

I have a friend here in Owosso, MI that cusom builds amplifiers. Kind of like our KBP. He builds whatever you want, custom made to your tonal pallete or cloning a great amplifier. Hauser amps in Owosso. He said that theTA 15 is the amplifier that cannot be beat or made better.

If you havent tried one, you really owe it to yourself to play one. Hell, I'll bring mine to the next PSP--it's that good.

on a side note, I looked at the TA 30 (bigger brother with effects loop and more power) and I still feel the TA15 is a more versatile amp. Can choose 5, 15, or 25 watts of power. Very capable of taking into any venue, from bedroom to club.......

Certainly, no one argues that Mesa/Boogie is on the top end price wise. But $899, again, is a price I can live with.

TULK! That's who it was. Thanks for the reminder!

I traded a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia straight across for my TA-15 and the Mesa (oversized) 1x12 cab. Couldn't be happier with the rig. It's my gigger, for sure. I use the "Vox" side (on Top Boost) at 15w for the guitar; and switch to the "Tweed" side at 25w for the mandolin, fiddle and banjo. Amazing amp. Certainly easy on the back!

Archived