Heritage Owners Club

Speaking of Mustang III's

DetroitBlues

As a big surprise, I'm also on the Fender Forum. There has been a lot of discussion on the Fender Mustang III having problems unlike any of the other models. Perhaps not buying one was a good idea even though GC has a used one for $200..

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57294

I've not had this problem. I'll have to go back and review this thread to try and reproduce it. I was looking forward to getting the mustang pedalboard (not sure if it has the issues). You can get the pedal board now for $179 ...

Thanks for posting. I really love this amp and was going to put it in a nice cabinet. Now I want to make sure there are no issues. I haven't found any harsh sounds that couldn't be removed using the included software. I have always found factory presets from all the of the manufacturers to be over the top and need tweaking. The Fizz is very audible in the link you provided (mine doesn't do it)...

Thanks again for posting. I'll be sure to get back to this post as I am a fan of the Mustang III...

I'm not trying to make anyone second guess themselves or their purchases. It's just a reminded to me from when I had a Valveking. Sounds great, but it's hit or miss to get one that lasts. I have the same fears with the Mustang.. But wonder why it's only reported on the III not any other model?

I wanted to buy a Mustang III in the worst way but discovered this problem at a music shop in Wilmington NC. several years back. I had an opportunity to run a side by side with a Roland Cube 80XL and chose the Roland. It is not that the amps life is compromised. It hasn't it has an annoying distortion noise as the sound wanes. Since I was looking for clean jazz tones I couldn't use it. I seriously doubt there is a problem if one plays with a lot of gain. This problem has in no way affected the longevity of the amp itself.

Well this post got me learning more about my mustang III. Though I was an early adoper, I wasn't one of the earliest (luckily for me). I could share the serial number of mine and if you were looking for a used one, my unscientific method would be to get a higher serial number than mine. I could not reproduce the noise cycle listed in the link provided by Detroit Blues but I was able to oversaturate almost any preset to m make it unusable. I get amazingly clean , quiet presets (knock on wood).. It takes a while to get the tone right on the clean sounds because there are so many tweaks (you can even adjust the sag with the software which is just another tonal variation on this solid state amp, but kinda cool). I did encounter a similar problem when I did a jam at someone's house. When I plugged into a particular group of ac outlets my amp became unusable. As soon as I moved to the other side of the basement the problem went away. That was the closest I got to the annoying sound described in the link. Another observation is the same preset needs to be adjusted when you change from single coil to humbucker, or solid body to semi-hollow body or hollow body. I find I need to retune the presets for certain guitars. It is easy put them next to each other in a bank with similar names, but you can't just go from playing a les paul to a strat and hope to get all the effects to behave the same. I find this more with the mustang III probably because there are so many effects that can be tied into a preset and it is all happening in the modeling arena. When I am using pedals/amps, I don't have to fuss as much. I think shundog's point is well taken though. After following the link in this thread, I wouldn't buy a used mustang III as the price difference may not be worth the chance. With the discounts/matching etc. you can get a new one for less than $250... The pedal board wasn't out yet, but that has gone down in price to 179.

Thanks for posting DetroitBlues....

Archived