Heritage Owners Club

Inexpensive Golden Eagles?

gnappi

The price is in the correct range if they are in excellent condition.

I don't know if trying to sell a guitar at Christmas is a good idea when you have to pay off all the other gifts you bought.

I think it is mainly due to the current economy. It certainly is not because Golden Eagles are devalued or not worth much more.

Down the road I predict that GE's and other Heritage guitars will hold their own against the competition on the used market.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, grab one!

So many archtop auctions on eBay sell without clearing auction, and a hint can sometimes be that the auction ended before it was scheduled to end with the verbage "the item is no longer for sale."

to Xmas being a bad time of year to sell...per the good Dr., "Gary Penton kept a meticulous database of ebay guitar sales. The prices tend to be highest from early November to the end of December. They drop until tax refund time then plateau. He found this trend consistently for years."

So many archtop auctions on eBay sell without clearing auction, and a hint can sometimes be that the auction ended before it was scheduled to end with the verbage "the item is no longer for sale."

to Xmas being a bad time of year to sell...per the good Dr., "Gary Penton kept a meticulous database of ebay guitar sales. The prices tend to be highest from early November to the end of December. They drop until tax refund time then plateau. He found this trend consistently for years."

Does that mean just prices are higher from Nov-Dec or that there are actually guitars sold between Nov-Dec?

It would make sense that prices are higher because people are trying to raise money for Christmas gift funds.

reportedly Gary's stat research suggested resale was highest between Nov-Dec, and lowest Jan-Apr.

so many folks are contacted about their auction item with a request to sell that item away from ebay. in the case of that $2100 GE listed last week that was ended before it was scheduled to end I'd bet my former paycheck it sold away from ebay...that happens often enough, and ebay is hip to it.

Gary Penton is a member of HOC although I haven't seen in a few years.

Yes, he told me he tracked his many sales over the years. If I recall, guitars fetched about 14% more in November and December. Sales dropped until tax refunds started coming in, leading to a peak in November again.

With the changes in the economy it may not be true anymore.

Sales dropped until tax refunds started coming in, leading to a peak in November again.

Bill Harnden, a luthier here in Chicago, is a friend of mine he has always said that very thing. #1 time of the year for him is tax refund time and #2 is after summer is over and it starts getting cold.

Archived