Heritage Owners Club

The Heritage version of a Gibson Byrdland

HANGAR18

Guest HRB853370

It’s no secret that I am a lifelong fan of Ted Nugent.

It is also a well-known fact that he often plays Gibson Byrdland guitars with a Florentine style cutaway.

(He has at least 12 of them last I heard which now qualify as “vintage” and he’s been playing them since they were brand new.)

We all know that trying to get your hands on an original/vintage Gibson Byrdland is nigh unto impossible and the newly made versions with the original rounded Venetian cutaway are nearly $8000.00.

So naturally, in the category of “dream guitars I don’t have a chance of ever actually owning” I have been trying to figure out what a Heritage version of a Gibson Byrdland might be.

Here is the Byrdland measuring stick I’m using:

Extra-narrow, short-scale 23-1/2"neck with 22 frets.

Hollow body with solid spruce carved top.

17" wide by

21" long

2-1/4" Rim

Florentine style (sharp pointy) cutaway as opposed to the original rounded Venetian cutaway.

And this video… note the close-up of the bridge at 02:14

A Heritage Golden Eagle as a Byrdland equivalent? (...as mentioned in a previous thread.)

Nope. Similar yes but scale length is too long, rim measurement is too thick, neck might be too thick, wrong pickups, ¾ inches too short, no Florentine style cutaway and wrong bridge.

A Heritage H575 as a Byrdland equivalent?

Nope. Not a carved spruce top, wrong bridge, ¾ inches too short, big fat neck and rim too thick.

A Heritage Henry Johnson as a Byrdland equivalent?

Maybe. The only major difference between the Henry Johnson model and a Ted Nugent version of a Gibson Byrdland would be that the body is way too thick. Perhaps if Heritage would make one with a 2 ¼ in rim, I think that might be as close as they could get, based on their current production line. But, even with the Henry Johnson model, there are still some other small differences like being ¾ inches too short and missing 2 frets. (20 instead of 22)

And then of course, there is the cost. (Not that I could afford a carved hollow body made by anyone on this planet.) But I speculate that if a brand new Gibson Byrdland (as of 2013) is going for around $8000.00 actual selling price, then perhaps a Heritage version of a Gibson Byrdland would actually sell for $5369.00.

Actually, it must have been a secret that you are a Nuge fan. I never recall you publicizing it. That said, I have known Ted and Derek St. Holmes since 1972. Derek lived in Georgia for a while and I would occasionally sit in with his band when he played bars. Ted knew my Dad and took him hunting a couple times, so I got to know him a bit. Not sure what Heritage would be the same.

Not much enthusiasm around here for a guitar that I think is utterly special. How come?

Also, here in the USA, it's Father's Day. Give it a couple of days to be viewed by others. That kind of artistry is much appreciated around here.

If I could score that beauty (or Marty's GE thinline), I'd do so in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived