Heritage Owners Club

Stock pups on the H157?

eddie_black

I just bought a well-used 1999 H157 and have a question about the pickups on it. The seller claimed it had Lindy Fralins on it - one of the reasons I bought this one.

BTW, this is my first Heritage. I also bought it because it played like a dream - even with crusty old strings. And I knew the reputation of these guitars.

While re-stringing and cleaning it, I took a look at the pickups. There were no distinguishing marks of any kind on the back plate of the pickups, just broken solder where the covers had been removed. The neck pup cavity had been crudely gouged out to hold longer screws. I did a cursory check of the electronics - not the cleanest job I've ever seen, but not the worst either. These could be replacement pups, or not. The big clue is the broken solder. Why order new pickups with covers and then bust them off?

I would like to know what the original pups in a 1999 H157 were - if that is possible. I would also like to know if there is any way to verify what pickups these are?

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Here's pics of both the guitar and the electronics. I think these are replacements, but I am not familiar enough with a factory solder job from Heritage. This one looks kind of messy. The wires look long. Good thing is, these are 4 wire pickups, so I am contemplating rewiring - perhaps replacing the pots.

Thanks in advance.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg_thumb

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg_thumb

If it's a '99 you would most likely have Schaller pickups, which are stamped "Schaller" on the baseplates. The leads on the pickups presently in your guitar look like 4 conductor leads. Fralin does make pickups available with 4 conductor leads, but you don't see them all too often. That's not to say they aren't Fralins' though. As for the covers being removed, it could be a matter of personal taste. Generally, if you remove the cover on a pickup the sound tends to get brighter. So maybe the original owner wanted a brighter sound, or perhaps liked the look with em'off.  :dontknow:

Thanks to all for the help.  8)

I did some more research on the Stew Mac site  (http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics.html).  I believe these  are Lindy Fralins, based on pup lead colors. The leads in these pups are White (hot), Red and Green (together), and Black (ground).

Here's a list of pup lead colors from Stew Mac:

Schaller:

Yellow = hot

White (hot) and Brown usually together

Green = ground

Lindy Fralin:

White = hot

Red (hot) and Green usually together

Black = ground

Seymour Duncan:

Black = hot

Red (hot) and White usually together

Green = ground

DiMarzio:

Red = hot

White (hot) and Black usually together

Green = ground

Gibby:

Red = hot

Green (hot) and White usually together

Black = ground

There are more pups listed, these are just the most common.

In all cases, the "ground" wire gets soldered to the braided wire and to ground. The odd two wires can be used for split coil or other alternate wiring. I found these links elsewhere on this site and am repeating them here:

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/coiltap.html

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/autotap.html

The wiring in this guitar (Heritage H157)  is typical Gibby, where either volume control will cut both pickups in the middle position. There are other possibilities - if you are so inclined. (http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Wiring_diagrams/i-1217.html) I have rewired my 'SG custom more times than I can count. Right now, the middle pup can fade in with any other combination at will. What really made the difference was shielding the cavities and replacing the 250k pots with 500k pots. Now it sings - original pups.

Anyway, sorry to answer my own question. I hope the additional info helps someone esle.

I'll take those Fralins off your hands for some crappy original Schallers :P

Kidding, but I'm serious.

Hi,

welcome, you seem to know your stuff.  That knowledge will be appreciated by all us Heritage lovers. 

moving off the pickup question for a min., looks like your tailpiece and bridge hardware are Schaller.  My `150 had Schaller tailpiece and bridge till recently, refitted with tunomatic type Heritage uses most of the time now.  I thought it odd they used that hardware on an ultra, but it is probably what they had in stock at the date of mfr..  its an easy changeout and cheap if you ever decide to get it done at the factory.  those guys are the best.  welcome to the club.

cool 157 by the way.  what does it weigh?

Kuz: Sorry, those Fralins are staying where they are.  :wink: Thanks for the offer though...

Chico: I think I'll stay with the bridge and tailpiece for now. hanks for the info. My bathroom scale says the 157 weighs 9 pounds. I compared it to a 10 lb. weight and that seems about right.

Next, I'd like to polish her up a bit. Some say use auto polish and others like this stuff they sell in GC. I just asked the tech at Maple Street Guitars and he recommended auto swirl remover. He didn't know if it contained silicone though. But this is getting way off topic..

I'm making plans for re-wiring. Might go to a push-pull pot for coil tapping.

They don't look like the Schallers Heritage uses - those have two mounting screws per side.  What they are is anybody's guess.

Just for the reference - I've got a similary H157 back beauty mounted with the original Shallers.

Here's a pic of the PU's on my H157, and it's clearly different to yours.

h157blk_front.jpg

h157blk_front.jpg_thumb

Just for the reference - I've got a similary H157 back beauty mounted with the original Shallers.

Here's a pic of the PU's on my H157, and it's clearly different to yours.

Thanks for the pic. I've also been wondering if the bridge and tailpiece were original. Looks like mine matches yours. I think someone else mentioned that earlier in this thread.

Nice lookin' guitar BTW.

Archived