Heritage Owners Club

NAD

Guest HRB853370

1963 Fender Vibroverb Reissue (1994)

I picked this up today in Raleigh NC, a mere 270 miles one way. Fearing the wrath of UPS I did not want her shipped. The seller was more than accommodating to having me pick it up. It is every bit as nice as it was described. Grill cloth is perfect; tolex looks to be 98% perfect with no really visible flaws. It came with the Fender cover too, but not the footswitch, but I have a spare. The seller had changed out the original 6L6 power tubes with 5881's. I got her back to our hotel room in Greensboro and fired her up with my 57 Strat. OMG! Crystal clear beautiful tones. The reverb is just lush and dripping and the vibrato is typical Fender. I think this amp was made for single coils, although I may find out differently once I get her home and plug in a Heritage 150. According to Yoslate, I did real well on the price too. I think this one is a keeper but I know I can recoup my investment should I ever have to sell her.

Vibroverb1963009_zpsaddb18f3.jpg

Vibroverb1963003_zpsb447c243.jpg

Vibroverb1963010_zps14d65ab4.jpg

Vibroverb1963011_zps8a43d4f9.jpg

Vibroverb1963002_zpsc8eb7808.jpg

Vibroverb1963012_zps8839ba24.jpg

Vibroverb1963013_zps87c9ff83.jpg

Beauty ! HNAD

I always like the C12Ns in my old Guild Thunderbird amp. Don't know how the current Italian versions compare to 60s models. Webers are very good.

Warehouse speakers and Eminence put out quite a few 10" versions. What particular sound are you looking for? Lots of clean? crunch? The problem is that speakers are like pickups... there are SO many choices.

Guest HRB853370
I always like the C12Ns in my old Guild Thunderbird amp. Don't know how the current Italian versions compare to 60s models. Webers are very good.

Warehouse speakers and Eminence put out quite a few 10" versions. What particular sound are you looking for? Lots of clean? crunch? The problem is that speakers are like pickups... there are SO many choices.

Havent the Jensens always been Italian? I am going for American clean, with crunch. Looking at Eminence Lil Buddy right now.

Havent the Jensens always been Italian? I am going for American clean, with crunch. Looking at Eminence Lil Buddy right now.

The original Jensen speaker company was in Chicago. The company closed and was sold long ago. The reissues are supposed to be built to the original specs, although as with everything, stuff is going to change, like the paper used for the cone.

Guest HRB853370
I rather prefer the alnico speakers in that style amp. I assume it's an AB 763 circuit.

How would I know without assuming??

:icon_scratch:

Guest HRB853370
Yes Slammer, cathode biased (self-biasing) amps are out there - my 5E3, The Limey, is one such beast :) I'd be surprised if your Vibroverb is though.

Its not, and that was not an assumption!

Guest HRB853370
Slammer, have a look at the Jensen Jet Tornado as one of the options for your speaker swap. It's on my list for the H-O-Lux, potentially paired with a Greenback.

Cool, thanks Howard

The '63 Vibroverb was a 6G16 schematic, not an AB763 - that was the blackface with the 15in speaker.

I'm not sure which schematic the reissue is based on but it should be the 6G16.

It seems the power tube biasing on the reissue is done via a resistor instead of a trim pot, Slammer. When you next buy power tubes, note the values written on the base of the existing tubes and ask for as close a match as available. It may also be worth asking your amp tech to install a trim pot for you to make future biasing more straightforward. This might already have been done given that these amps have been around since the mid-90's.

Guest HRB853370
The '63 Vibroverb was a 6G16 schematic, not an AB763 - that was the blackface with the 15in speaker.

I'm not sure which schematic the reissue is based on but it should be the 6G16.

It seems the power tube biasing on the reissue is done via a resistor instead of a trim pot, Slammer. When you next buy power tubes, note the values written on the base of the existing tubes and ask for as close a match as available. It may also be worth asking your amp tech to install a trim pot for you to make future biasing more straightforward. This might already have been done given that these amps have been around since the mid-90's.

Again, thanks H for your expertise. Actually, these amps have been around since 1990 with 95 the last year of production. That explains why the prices are up for the good ones (except I got lucky) !

• 2 weeks later...

Or, talk KBP810 into building one that's just as good and use the left over to send a kid to college for half a year.

That's my perspective....and kind of what I did. :)

Guest HRB853370

Or, talk KBP810 into building one that's just as good and use the left over to send a kid to college for half a year.

Wait-I thought you bought one from Detroit Blues?

Guest HRB853370

You totally missed my point, btw.

Then maybe you missed my point: For the bucks you could get a great handwired clone and have a lot left over for other purposes.

It's fine that you're happy with the Fender reissue. I'm just not very brand consious when it comes to guitars and equipment.

Archived