Heritage Owners Club

Soldano vs Vht

big bob

I'm looking for a 50 watt amp that will do clean, crunch and gain. I have it narrowed down to several choices.

Choice 1, soldano hot rod 50 plus

Choice 2, VHT/fryette pittbull 50 cl or 100 cl w/ 1/2 power switch.

Anybody have experience with either or both of these.

You're not going to like these for their cleans either.

Try the Decatone (Soldano), Bad Cat (most any) or Bogner Shiva for cleans. All 3 will have very nice high gain too.

Do you need to have 50 watts? I think my Mesa LSS (30 watts) would suit you.

Ah!

Problem solved.

They are both kinda different takes on hot-rodded Marshalls. Soldano's generally use 6L6s and Pitbulls EL34s if I am not mistaken. I've read the PB has more headroom, though I find that kind of hard to believe. I've also read it makes a ton of gain and doesn't clean up real well, which I do believe. The Soldano is supposed to have the "cleaner" clean, though I have to second Steiner, neither of these amps really has crystal clear cleans I wouldn't imagine. I haven't played a VHT or Soldano in awhile, but they both have always focused more on the ballsy side of things. If I was doing more classic rock, I'd probably do the Soldano, more modern the VHT.

Personally, I dig Soldanos more even though I generally prefer EL34s to 6L6s.

I also agree that the Bogner Shiva is a totally sweet amp. I'd probably go for it over either of the other two if I wanted cleans and gain.

Mars_Hall did a real nice write-up on the Legacy not too long ago. The bitch is finding one to try before buying. I would say it's worth a look.

Guest HRB853370
Do you need to have 50 watts? I think my Mesa LSS (30 watts) would suit you.

Which one do you want to sell Eric? And what are your prices?

I can't help but interject here.

If you're looking for an amp that gives outstanding cleans and dirt at any volume level, then check out the Guytron GT100 -or better yet the GT100 FV. Excluding Axe-fx and similar modeling systems, these are the most versatile amps ever built. They originally sold new for $3200 (current new price is ~$2800) and more, but I've seen used GT100's as low as $900. The FV version incorporates popular mod requests by providing four "focus" and four "voicing" options that modify the character of the original tone and sells used for several hundred more.

A quick search found none for sale on either ebay, C-list, or TGP, but they do come up from time to time.

It's easily the last amp you'll ever need.

Guest HRB853370
I can't help but interject here.

If you're looking for an amp that gives outstanding cleans and dirt at any volume level, then check out the Guytron GT100 -or better yet the GT100 FV. Excluding Axe-fx and similar modeling systems, these are the most versatile amps ever built. They originally sold new for $3200 (current new price is ~$2800) and more, but I've seen used GT100's as low as $900. The FV version incorporates popular mod requests by providing four "focus" and four "voicing" options that modify the character of the original tone and sells used for several hundred more.

A quick search found none for sale on either ebay, C-list, or TGP, but they do come up from time to time.

It's easily the last amp you'll ever need.

When you say the last amp you will ever need, I assume you mean nobody ever gets amp gas again?

I don't have experience with either of those amps, but I have to say the Fryette Memphis 30/18 is a sleeper of an amp. Why that one sails under most peoples radar is beyond me. Great cleans, crunches and screams all in one package. Two channels, three voices each, gain boost (affects both channels), reverb, effects loop. If you're the kinda guy who likes to ride the volume knob you could spend the whole gig on the clean channel alone. It's as sweet and touch sensitive as any I've played. The gain channel gain go from a sweet low gain crunch to over-the-top high gain saturation. Killer amp.

Which one do you want to sell Eric? And what are your prices?

Slammer, please PM me for further details. I'd rather not ship these, as they're heavy. I was offering them up to Lance because I may be in his area again soon.

Archived