Heritage Owners Club

What Do You Guys Think About 'Aged' or 'Relic'd' Guitars?

Gitfiddler

As a certified anal retentive, I just cannot understand why people purchase a perfectly nice guitar, then send it out to a company to 'age' it.  Some pay a premium for 'aged' or 'relic'd' guitars from Gibson or Fender or private builders.

Yes, dents and dings happen as the years go by...but I could not even think of intentionally damaging any of my guitars.

What am I missing?!  :)

As a certified anal retentive, I just cannot understand why people purchase a perfectly nice guitar, then send it out to a company to 'age' it.  Some pay a premium for 'aged' or 'relic'd' guitars from Gibson or Fender or private builders.

Yes, dents and dings happen as the years go by...but I could not even think of intentionally damaging any of my guitars.

You're missing nothing.  What you have is an over abundance of common sense!  ;D

isn't it more fun to get it that way yourself? my first thought when i see a pre-aged guitar is someone is "trying to buy cool" and look like a road warrior.

Let me share my thoughts about middle-aged guys who buy Harley-Davidson's and all the black leather accessories.  ;D

Some people think it adds "mojo" to their guitars.  What they fail to realize is the guitars is that they have it ass backwards.  The guitars that had mojo in the first place got dinged and worn because their owners loved them and played the sh!# out of them.  They didn't suddenly gain mojo because they were dinged and worn - they had mojo to begin with.

Does anybody else remember the Saturday Night Live commercial for Levi's three-legged jeans?  After the usual hip dance scenes played over "a leg and a leg and a leg," the punchline was: "Levi's three-legged jeans--hey it's no worse than acid washed."

Does anybody else remember the Saturday Night Live commercial for Levi's three-legged jeans?  After the usual hip dance scenes played over "a leg and a leg and a leg," the punchline was: "Levi's three-legged jeans--hey it's no worse than acid washed."

I don't remember that, but for some reason, it reminded me of the MadTV (I think that was it) skit "Lowered Expectations."

I've always tried to keep my guns, cameras, guitars and anything else I get that's in good shape or new "nice", the idea of beating on something nice to give you "street cred" for dings that aren't "earned" is stupid.

But people should do what they want, it's their stuff.

Well i own a Fender Jazzmaster that was 'Relic'd'  for the 2003 Namm show.

Fender made up a batch with matching head stocks. I would have still bought the guitar,

if it had not been put through the relic process. The neck barely went thru the process.

The body and hardware moderatly so. I like that the neck is almost new, feels worn in,  but not f'd up.

That guitar just feels right being a relic. New Jazzmasters with all the plastic bits just jumps out at you.

They sort of look cheap to me. With Relic'd' Guitars you dont have to be so precious with them.

If you get a mark, it's not the end of the world. You're just adding to the process...increasing the mojo as it were.

I play out with my guitars  and i like the fact i dont have to baby them so much. Most of the time, spanking

new guitars look kind of garish, and dilettantish to me.

As a certified anal retentive,

GAS (hence its double or triple meaning) is of course a side effect of anal retention, but in Freuds opinion has more to do with anal regression.

Collecting reliced guitars must be a much more serious problem. Collectors need a forum of their own for mutual comfort and understanding.

This is too serious a subject for us humble Heritageians to even discuss.

This is too serious a subject for us humble Heritageians to even discuss.

I really like Jacques' use of the term "Heritageians" here!  I'm not sure how many of us are actually humble, but I do like "Heritageian."  (It's a kind of cross between "Hegelian" and humbucking pickups.)  ;D

Thanks, John for honouring me with this mighty compliment. And thanks Dick for your most hilarious comment which made me laugh so loud the kids came up to see what's happenin with Paw. You could take away the winking emoticon to make it even better. Both your kharmas have just been raised to very unhumble levels indeed .

As a non-native speaker I wonder how one would pronounce 'Heritagian'. I forgot how to write phonetics since I never use them any more, so would it be Heritageian like in 'Asian' or  -sticking more to the way "heritage' is pronounced- 'Heritageian like in 'pigeon'?

Or former Michiganders and some of use were even born and raised in the Zoo.  To get back on post, I prefer my guitars to stay in the best condition possible.  My guitar teacher has late 60s early 70 LP Custom that looks beat to SH*T, but sounds and plays great.  I cringe every time I see that guitar, it looks so mistreated.

Archived