Heritage Owners Club

How's your H-150 Plek Job?

jamison162

Even though "Pleked" gets a lot of hype these days, I've yet to buy into it.  It is no substitute for quality hand fretwork.  I had a G&L that was pleked and the fretwork as a whole was prety shotty.  Even my H-150 isn't all that.  The frets are pretty flat like they have been leveled but not re-crowned.  Guess this is due to the plek?

Has anyone re-crowned your frets yourself?  Or done any fretwork for that matter?

My 157 was plek'd and was very nice! The H535 is plek'd and needs no attention. The Millie ws manufactured before they got the machine, yet it seems to okay as well. So, how's that? Like no help at all?  :wink:

Speaking of the Plek...

During the tour I overheard someone ask someone (probably Ren) if we would see the plek machine / operation, he said it wasn't there.  I didn't hear if it was broken or loaned out or what.  Then the guy asked the guy, "you mean you're doing the fretwork by hand?" and the guy said yes, said he's been doing it for so many years that he's better, bla, bla.

Since they're building mine, I asked my dealer about it when I got back, whether I should worry that it wasn't going to be like I expected since they had bragged on the Heritage plek machine.  My dealer didn't think it would be a big deal and kind of talked down the plek...  Anyway, I'm waiting to find out how mine will turn out (beautiful I'm sure).

Anyone else know about this?  Is the plek not such a great thing anyway?

I have three Heritages and they have all been pleked and they all play great.  All of the frets have been properly crowned, so I would think it might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as to how well they finish the frets after the plek.

The frets on my Plek'd H535 (2007) are so rough they wear through the coils on my wound strings.

There were not polished in the slightest, just the marks of grinding.  I wasn't overly impressed.

Going to have to get around to polishing them myself sometime...

Paul P

From a mechanical/engineering standpoint, I like the idea of the Plek. It's just plain cool, too. From a guitar player standpoint, I really don't care how they achieve properly leveled and crowned frets. As long as they're "right" when I get it (and if I bought new, I would expect the dealer to CHECK THEM FIRST and fix them if they needed it), I don't care how they get there.

That being said, my understanding was that the Plek at the factory was under blankets because it needed to be re-programmed or upgraded.

I'm begging to sound like a broken record... broken record...  but all three of my pleked Heritages had issues:

535 Antique Natural - Dead fret at the 15th fret.

137 - Extreme buzzing off the nut on the low E, and A and D strings and some random buzzing up and down the neck.

535 Dark Almon Burst - High nut and random buzzing up and down the neck.

FWIW I would say overall they played better than my non-pleked Heritages, but no where near Tom Anderson, Don Grosh, PRS, etc.

Who was the guy who did the sausage-style fret job? Someone should post those pics again.

That would be my H-535 I had re-retted by Michael Tuttle of bestfrets.

http://www.bestfrets.com/

width=600 height=471http://home.san.rr.com/renkluaf/Frets1.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=363http://home.san.rr.com/renkluaf/Frets2.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=404http://home.san.rr.com/renkluaf/Frets3.jpg[/img]

Michael has also re-fretted two Les Pauls for me as well as performed his signature set up on my other H-535 and my H-137.  I can't recomend him highly enough.  I'm thinking seriously about having him custom build me a guitar. 

The Plek might not do any better job than a skilled human. It probably just does it faster.

I'll take Micheal's (or Tom Anderson's or Don Grosh's or early PRS) fret work over the Plek any day of the week.  With a great fret job most of the work is done before the frets are installed, not after.

QFT.  Maybe faster and with more consistency (repeatability).

I've yet to play a Pleked guitar that could hold a candle to Michael's fret work, or Tom Anderson's, or Don Grosh's.  I'm not saying they don't exist, I've just not played one.

I've yet to play a Pleked guitar that could hold a candle to Michael's fret work, or Tom Anderson's, or Don Grosh's.  I'm not saying they don't exist, I've just not played one.

No doubt.  That's why I started this thread.  My Heritage, even, pleked, is miles away from my Grosh.

Archived