Heritage Owners Club

Acoustic sound on the archtop

randy2270

Does anybody have any opinions on the acoustic response on a 1996 Eagle. I am considering getting one but I am not sure about the tone and I do not know if it is a tuned top. I have a 1993 Sweet 16 and I am unhappy with it acoustically, electrically it sounds great but I usually do not plug in, not my preference. I don't want to invest in a new ax and have the same exact situation.

any ideas are helpful.

- thanks.

I have a mahogany Eagle (two actually) and I play it more acoustically than plugged in. I used to think that it was only because of the floating pup that I could get so much acoustic enjoyment out of an archtop and then I tried GPuma's 575 and was amazed at the volume and tone of that puppy.

Not sure what to tell you about the Sweet 16 because I have never played one. But things to consider are the strings, set up and whether you use fingers or a pick. I had an old Harmony with 13s and high action that sounded like a trunk with strings if I used a pick but was mellow as ever with fingers.

I had a '93 GE that sounded heavenly unplugged. It was not tap tuned, but I can't imagine a sweeter sound. If it were me and I was looking for a nice sounding acoustic archtop, I would go for the '96 Eagle.

I have a mahogany Eagle as well and primarily play it acoustically.

Found myself always fiddling too much with the amp controls and getting seated in the proper place to avoid feedback... :icon_spiderman:

The tone either way is fabulous, though!

this is actually very helpful. I am considering changing the strings on the Sweet 16 from GBH White Bronze to the D addario Medium electrics. The White Bronze sound great on my Epi Emporer but that is a totally diff set up I think.

What strings do you guys suggest for the Eagle. I dont use flat wounds.

Sweet 16's were made for playing amplified moreso than acoustically. They sound just OK without an amp, but come alive when plugged in. That's their 'sweetness'.

The main limitation is its 16" body width, like the 575, just can't give that boomy, lush tone of a 17" or even 18" body.

Eagle or Golden Eagle archtops are 17", but seem bigger under my arm or on my lap. But that big tone is there acoustically or amplified. Many of them with floating p'ups have parallel bracing, giving it even better tone. Custom orders can be tap tuned, but that creates more feedback due to the potentially thinner top due to more carving to get it tuned.

The worse thing you can do is compare two slightly different instruments and have the same expectations from them. That will assure disappointment from one or the other guitar. I've considered selling my Sweet 16 after comparing it to my Golden Eagle, only to fall back in love with my 'Sweetie' when playing her only for hours.

I have a 1988 acoustic Golden Eagle(serial 103) which has a K&K pickup mounted under the top, which sounds very good acoustically,

although to be fair not like a good flat top.I use D'addario phosphor bronze ground wound strings on it,since there is no magnetic type pickup.

Totally a different instrument to my Super Eagle with schallers,which sounds great amplified,but a little dull when played acoustically(I use flatwounds

on this one).

...Oh, another thought. Using roundwounds or even halfrounds on either an Eagle or Sweet 16 or 575 makes a huge difference in acoustic volume.

Try a set of Tomastik Infeld BeBops on your archtop. Great acoustic or electric tone and long lasting strings.

...Oh, another thought. Using roundwounds or even halfrounds on either an Eagle or Sweet 16 or 575 makes a huge difference in acoustic volume.

Try a set of Tomastik Infeld BeBops on your archtop. Great acoustic or electric tone and long lasting strings.

++

Not to sound snobbish but 24$ for strings is a bit steep , before I got the Sweet 16 it had round wounds on it and it sounded much better but I did not like the feel of them. A am gonna try my D-addario jazz light with a round 3rd first because I have to use them and if they $uck then I may invest in the Tomastik Infeld BeBops.

I have to agree the bass string is kinda low but of course a little amp compensates. It is discouraging because I saw Marty Grosz playing a 1942 16" L-5 with a thin pick and prob light strings and it sounded real balanced to me, but then there is also good technique to consider. I mostly play a Guild Jumbo with the most boom you ever heard.

also, did you guys see : http://www.gruhn.com/features/AR4277.html - that $90,000 Stromberg 400 for sale. Maybe if I sell all my gtars added to the equity of my house I could get that.

There are so many variables, but in my limited experience with two spruce toppped 16", long scale, Heritage instruments, body depth makes a big difference. I have played other Sweet 16s and mine has a comparatively good acoustic sound - sustain, lots of overtones, resonance, clear bass (the other one I am most familiar with is nice, but percussive and bright). My sweet 16 is still not completely satisfying as an acoustic guitar. I don't think it was meant to be. (I agree with the feedback comment above - a deep bodied sweet 16 would be hard to play amplified)

The uncut 575 has more of everything and I think the body depth is the main difference. I think the guitars are correctly appointed - one plays great, but benefits from amplification, one is truly an acoustic instrument.

I have an order in on the TIs for both (expensive for strings, but proportionate to the cost of the instrument) and I'll report back if there is a radical shift in the Sweet 16.

Love these guitars.

(edit: the deep bodied instrument is much louder too)

Mr. Fiddler,

Do you mean X bracing with the floater and parallel bracing with the set pickup?

I ask only for posterity. It is too late for me.....

Eagle or Golden Eagle archtops are 17", but seem bigger under my arm or on my lap. But that big tone is there acoustically or amplified. Many of them with floating p'ups have parallel bracing, giving it even better tone. Custom orders can be tap tuned, but that creates more feedback due to the potentially thinner top due to more carving to get it tuned.

Mr. Fiddler,

Do you mean X bracing with the floater and parallel bracing with the set pickup?

I ask only for posterity. It is too late for me.....

Nope, Parallel bracing under the top for floaters is what I've seen.

And you have seen more nice examples than most. Thank you.

I am under the impression that both in my avatar are X-braced. I'll confirm with a hand mirror.

I am following your advice on the TIs. Thank you for that.

Not to sound snobbish but 24$ for strings is a bit steep , before I got the Sweet 16 it had round wounds on it and it sounded much better but I did not like the feel of them. A am gonna try my D-addario jazz light with a round 3rd first because I have to use them and if they $uck then I may invest in the Tomastik Infeld BeBops.

I have to agree the bass string is kinda low but of course a little amp compensates. It is discouraging because I saw Marty Grosz playing a 1942 16" L-5 with a thin pick and prob light strings and it sounded real balanced to me, but then there is also good technique to consider. I mostly play a Guild Jumbo with the most boom you ever heard.

also, did you guys see : http://www.gruhn.com/features/AR4277.html - that $90,000 Stromberg 400 for sale. Maybe if I sell all my gtars added to the equity of my house I could get that.

One can buy TI's as low as $22 if they search around.

However, what does it matter if a set of strings retailing for $24 performs better and lasts twice as long as the pair you're buying for $12? Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

As per my recent new topic, The sound and volume of my Johnny Smith as an acoustic guitar is outstanding. It holds up with and surpasses many L-7's, Epiphone Triumphs and even L-5's (for tone, maybe not volume) that I've played. The remarkable thing about it to me is that is short scale and only 3" deep - as comfortable as it gets for an acoustic archtop if you don't have long arms! It was made in 1998 - I traded a Guild Artist Award for it (straight up) in 2001 because the AA was too big, and too ostentatious for me (I got it used for a good price - so the exchange was beneficial to both of us). Of course that was before the AA was redesigned by Benedetto, so .....

Archived