Heritage Owners Club

To plek or not to plek that is the question.

pressure

i was under the impression that heritage guitars were plec'd already. Turns out it doesnt matter we still have to shell out to get the guitars to play right with a decent action. The infamous Heritage quality, is a bit of a myth if you ask me. New disgruntled 535 owner. I dont want to kicked off the site but I think there is some denial going on regarding the quality heritage guitars leave the factory and the work and money that has to be put into them. I read a review recently of a H535 review detailing the lack of nut setup, fret work and poor action. This was set upon by heritage owners. However I experienced the exact same probs. Ive a feeling that the standards of recreational players cover up to a point some of the quality issues. Working players expect and require higher standards from there guitars that dont suck your earnings immediately after the purchase cost. Its not right. They are nice looking guitars, no doubt, but that is not nearly enough. I have guitars half the price that play much better. When I get the guitar back from my tech, Ill repost.

Ely, no one is going to kick you off the forum for stating your opinions. We do tend to "defend" our guitars of choice. And maybe tun the blind eye or two towards some issues. Thing is, the site was created to support the guitars we love. Someone talks less than spectacularly about them, we get a bit defensive. We are, after all, nearly human. Well, most of us (they know who they are!!). If you stick around, and we hope you do, you'll find that our membership runs from the recreational to the touring pro even to professors of music. Broad range of people here, at all levels. Hope you get the issues worked out on the 535; can't disagree that getting a new axe that you can't use right away isn't frustrating.

Every one of my brand new Heritages had set up issues. Every one. I won't go into the details, but yes I've owned less expensive intruments that played better off the wall than many (all?) of my Heritages. People don't like to hear it/admit it but it's true. I sometimes feel when people saw that all of their Heritages played flawlessly from day one that they have either never played a guitar with a flawless set up, they have low expectations, or they are incredibly, incredibly lucky.

A good set-up is a very personal thing. Perhaps dealers should offer a 'free' set-up (to the buyer's specification) in the price of a new guitar?

There are dealers who will do the setup to your preferences. It shouldn't involve a full fret dress or anything, but setting intonation with the strings of choice, action, etc is par for the territory.

I've had one of my Heritages worked on where there was a nut issue. That can be a common problem. I'm not sure why. The others have been very good. The absolute best setup guitar was the Melancon. Impeccable setup. Next best was probably the 535 which was used when I bought it. I don't know if anything was done to it prior to my buying it, but it was and still is pretty darn good. The nut and frets are original and don't looked to have been signficantly altered. After having it for 5+ years, I'm starting to get some dead strings up high on the neck. It could probably use some fine tuning. The Mille is showing some wear on the first 4 frets. Must be playing it too much!

I've bought a lot of NEW guitars over the years (from many different manufacturers) and I've had to do a setup on nearly every one of them. (I wish they all would have graph tech nuts on them) But anyway, the only brand new guitar I can remember buying that didn't need any tweaking was my American made PRS guitar. It was gig ready right off the shelf, which is one of their slogans or standards which they strive for according to the literature.

In my humble opinion, Fenders are the worst and the Les Paul design whether it be (Heritage or Gibson) doesn't usually require the purchase of additional parts and the setup is easy enough (for me) to do myself. My Stratocaster however, I've had visions of doing a Pete Townshend finale with it.

(I forgot to push the Quote button on this one)

i was under the impression that heritage guitars were plec'd already. Turns out it doesnt matter we still have to shell out to get the guitars to play right with a decent action. The infamous Heritage quality, is a bit of a myth if you ask me. New disgruntled 535 owner. I dont want to kicked off the site but I think there is some denial going on regarding the quality heritage guitars leave the factory and the work and money that has to be put into them. I read a review recently of a H535 review detailing the lack of nut setup, fret work and poor action. This was set upon by heritage owners. However I experienced the exact same probs. Ive a feeling that the standards of recreational players cover up to a point some of the quality issues. Working players expect and require higher standards from there guitars that dont suck your earnings immediately after the purchase cost. Its not right. They are nice looking guitars, no doubt, but that is not nearly enough. I have guitars half the price that play much better. When I get the guitar back from my tech, Ill repost.

I've bought a lot of NEW guitars over the years (from many different manufacturers) and I've had to do a setup on nearly every one of them. (I wish they all would have graph tech nuts on them) But anyway, the only brand new guitar I can remember buying that didn't need any tweaking was my American made PRS guitar. It was gig ready right off the shelf, which is one of their slogans or standards which they strive for according to the literature.

In my humble opinion, Fenders are the worst and the Les Paul design whether it be (Heritage or Gibson) doesn't usually require the purchase of additional parts and the setup is easy enough (for me) to do myself. My Stratocaster however, I've had visions of doing a Pete Townshend finale with it.

My 2006 150 came fromt he factory plekked. It plays wonderfully, better than any guitar I've owned. On a related note, you shouldn't have to change string gauge to get rid of a buzz. A neck adjustment should allow the use of 10's for instance without having to go to 11's. (unless of course, you want 11's).

EVERY Heritage I have owned has needed a set up!!! I have also had most of my Heritages and many of my other brands custom plek'd for low action. The initial plek scans on my Heritages has been as consistent as the other guitars I have had done, 10-15% off.

AND EVERY other guitar from other Manufactures I have owned has needed a setup.

I do my own custom setups myself. I Have never played a new guitar off the rack or sent to me where I thought, "I can gig this tonight".

There is no way that Paul Reed Smith, Terry McInturff, Chuck Thornton, Fender, Ron Kirn, Bill Collings, or Ren Wall know what setup I like. Even when dealing one-on-one with a builder over the phone and they ask for my setup specs, I need to adjust it when I get the guitar.

I just assume any guitar I buy will need setup to my specs by myself.

Archived