Heritage Owners Club

To plek or not to plek that is the question.

pressure

The Spruce Mille had a problem with bending the B string from the 15th (D) to the 17th (E) fret where the note would not sustain.

Took the Mille into my fav guitar shop, The Music Gallery in Highland Park, Il., to do the first string change and check the set-up as part of the purchase price.

George, one of their luthers, looked at the guitar and said that it was not perfect and could be improved with a plek. He put the Mille on the plek machine and did a scan and then showed me the result. Each position on the fretboard was shown as it was and as it should be. George was right as usual so I said plek me baby. Got the guitar back and was astounded at how well it played and sounded. I will be taking my Heritage Johnny Smith in for a good pleking as soon as I can.

As far as negative comments floating around that a good luther can do a fret job better than a fret job done by plek I say what if the plek is run by a good luther?

The plek is just a tool but what an accurate tool it is. I'm convinced.

Glad you found the answer for the problem. What does a plek job cost? I've never had one.

I took me H555 to Mike Lull (well know luthier here in the northwest) he put on a new bone nut and slightly narrowed the string spacing, pleked it and setup. The guitar plays fantastic. I'm waiting to take my H150 in when I can afford it. I thought it looked like it needed new frets, but they said they could plek it and it would be fine. I can't wait. It was worth every penny.

Guest HRB853370

The Spruce Mille had a problem with bending the B string from the 15th (D) to the 17th (E) fret where the note would not sustain.

Took the Mille into my fav guitar shop, The Music Gallery in Highland Park, Il., to do the first string change and check the set-up as part of the purchase price.

George, one of their luthers, looked at the guitar and said that it was not perfect and could be improved with a plek. He put the Mille on the plek machine and did a scan and then showed me the result. Each position on the fretboard was shown as it was and as it should be. George was right as usual so I said plek me baby. Got the guitar back and was astounded at how well it played and sounded. I will be taking my Heritage Johnny Smith in for a good pleking as soon as I can.

As far as negative comments floating around that a good luther can do a fret job better than a fret job done by plek I say what if the plek is run by a good luther?

But how much does this process cost? If it costs you more than your guitar than ??

Kuz had my 525 pleked when he had it. It plays very nicely. Right now it has 10s on it so the A string buzzes a bit on a couple of frets, but I think a change to 11s will take care of that. Its just vibrating way too much.

So far, the only thing I've really adjusted has been to tweak the intonation.

This is the key, it's a tool and only as good as the person using it. A really good luthier can do every bit as good a job with the more traditional tools, but the plek machine makes it easier for them, if they know how to operate it.

>>The plek is just a tool but what an accurate tool it is. I'm convinced.

Totally agree. I just happened to catch this thread... Plek is one heck of a tool for a good Luthier Tech who knows how to use it to best advantage. Like anything else I'm also sure a moron could make a mess out of a Plek set-up - but great craftspeople are going to want great tools - and will do their best work with great tools.

This is no different than all the rumble anti- CNC. As a consumer, I'm not willing to pay someone to do a slow, inconsistent job of something that can be done in minutes, with near perfect consistency by a machine. As a craftsman myself - I wouldn't expect someone to pay me for hours of hand work when the CNC machining can get me roughed out in minutes. My skill comes in the set-up of the CNC and knowing how to get the best parts out of my stock (cutting around knots - book-matching the top, etc.) . Plek set-ups, done by a careful qualified craftsman - will yield results that are unbelievably consistent - and more quickly than anyone could possibly do totally by hand. But here's the kicker - to get that kind of result I believe you have to know what you're doing and have the chops to do that set-up completely by hand if you needed to. THAT's the person who is going to get the best results out of Plek IMHO. Some kid at Guitar Center isn't going to get the same kind of results with Plek that (for example) a seasoned luthier could get.

I have been amazed by every guitar that I have had Plek'd .... And Plek'd to MY specs. I can't recommend a custom Plek job highly enough!!!

Kuz had my 525 pleked when he had it. It plays very nicely. Right now it has 10s on it so the A string buzzes a bit on a couple of frets, but I think a change to 11s will take care of that. Its just vibrating way too much.

So far, the only thing I've really adjusted has been to tweak the intonation.

That 525 had slamming low action with 11s. I think the ideal gauge for that guitar is 11s to really bring out the tone and woodiness. and it really loved 11s in Flatwound strings!!!!

The Plek machine is a tool, and as mentioned, it's only as good as the person doing it. Gibson has been touting "plek'd" guitars for a while but often the results are iffy because they don't have someone who knows what they are doing running it. It is not what I would consider "entry level" in terms of use from what I've seen, and you've got to be trained on it. The cost is also somewhat prohibitive if you are a smaller shop. For larger shops though it can really simplify the process of fret dressing and other procedures like that.

Yes, the PLEK is only a tool. In the hands of a skilled luthier in can be a wonderful tool. But by the same token there are many skilled luthiers that can achieve spectacular results without the use of the PLEK. Michael Tuttle will receive all of my fret work - not because he does or doesn't use a PLEK, but because he's the best I have found. Glad you love your guitar after the PLEK. It's truly fun when your guitars are playing their best.

Yes, the PLEK is only a tool. In the hands of a skilled luthier in can be a wonderful tool. But by the same token there are many skilled luthiers that can achieve spectacular results without the use of the PLEK. Michael Tuttle will receive all of my fret work - not because he does or doesn't use a PLEK, but because he's the best I have found. Glad you love your guitar after the PLEK. It's truly fun when your guitars are playing their best.

I'd love to have one of my guitars PLEK'd, if just for the novelty of it. My guy does good work, no doubt. But I like technology and think it can be wonderful in the proper hands. Maybe there will be some PLEK'd guitars at PSP for us to try this year.

GAM, quoted yours because we've spoken to Michael about refretting Tracy's Larrivee OM-05E. Last I heard Tracy was contemplating whether she could be without the guitar for that long, plus the shipping, etc. Not the cost of shipping, the liabilities of it being in the hands of the shippers crossing the continent. :glasses10:

I'd love to have one of my guitars PLEK'd, if just for the novelty of it. My guy does good work, no doubt. But I like technology and think it can be wonderful in the proper hands. Maybe there will be some PLEK'd guitars at PSP for us to try this year.

GAM, quoted yours because we've spoken to Michael about refretting Tracy's Larrivee OM-05E. Last I heard Tracy was contemplating whether she could be without the guitar for that long, plus the shipping, etc. Not the cost of shipping, the liabilities of it being in the hands of the shippers crossing the continent. :glasses10:

Kenny, all the Heritages I will bring to PSP will be plek'd, and I mean a custom Plek from a local luthier about 45 mins from me. I will probably bring the 150 GT, 150 Quilt, 535 P90, and the Custom 555.

Kenny, all the Heritages I will bring to PSP will be plek'd, and I mean a custom Plek from a local luthier about 45 mins from me. I will probably bring the 150 GT, 150 Quilt, 535 P90, and the Custom 555.

Yippee!! Knew you'd chime in. Didn't even think about you bringing them, tho'. Duh, on me!!

Pressure...since this shop is close enough for me to visit...how long was the turnaround on the millie?

+1 for Plek'ing by a quality luthier. Gary Brawer did my 157 (+bone nut and re-fret). It made a HUGE difference and continues to impress after years of playing.

Also my 555 was Plek'd by Wolfe when it was new. Still plays great all up the neck.

My Gibby Les Paul Traditional came plek'd from the factory and it the nicest playing electric guitar I've ever owned.. Even though I like the tone of my Stratocaster better..

Hey Kip turn around is up to their work load, but its pretty quick. I reccomend you call them and set up an appointment. Let them know you know me. Also let me know when you are going and I'll meet you for lunch.

I am going to show my ignorance... I thought all Heritage guitars were plekked at the factory? I would imagine that after a lot of playing time and fret wear, that is when it needs to be re-plekked?

The PLEK machine at Heritage has been out-of-service for quite a while now. Sombody commented they were using it as a coat rack. Not sure what years Heritages were factory PLEK'd but it was a brief period in the history of Heritage. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will jump in here with the years and the demise of the machine.

The PLEK machine at Heritage has been out-of-service for quite a while now. Sombody commented they were using it as a coat rack. Not sure what years Heritages were factory PLEK'd but it was a brief period in the history of Heritage. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will jump in here with the years and the demise of the machine.

Pretty much. It was under a pile of jackets, etc during PSPI, oh so many years ago. Something about needing a software update. Think it's still there, but not being used. I believe it was used briefly in 2005/2006. No clue as to which ones were plek'd and what wasn't, tho'.

Archived