Heritage Owners Club

H550

gnappi

I posted this on another site and I'm hoping to get some input from owners.

Does anyone here have a Heritage 550? How does it compare to an H575? I'm not talking bling like binding, inlays cutaway, or other visual treats, just playability and sound and feedback resistance?

The heritage site isn't too clear on the top / back details.

"Single round Venetian cutaway;hollow body with laminated arch;curly maple top and back"

Also, I noted that the bridge is set in a block like a semi hollow not a fully hollow violin type bridge

Thanks,

Gary

The 550's top and back are laminated, 575 solid, which would tend to mean the 550 would be less prone to feedback.

The bridge posts for the 550 are mounted through the top; the tailpiece does not float, as on the 575 and most carved archtops. However, I wouldn't describe the structure as a block, as in a semi-hollow, but rather a plate that is fixed between the two parallel braces under the top. (I own a 550 and have looked inside with an inspection mirror --I couldn't tell for certain if the posts actually go into the parallel braces, or whether they enter the plate between the braces. Either way, the bridge area is more heavily braced/reinforced than most archtops, but less than, for example, a 576 or the Gibson Howard Roberts fusion, both of which have actual blocks. So, tendency to feedback would be intermediate between these designs as well, all else being equal (which it seldom is.)

You can use the search function to check the forums ...we've had several discussions of the construction details and possible history/Gibson antecedents/best uses of these models.

Also, the 575 is a 16" body vs the 550's 17" body. It has the same width as an Eagle/Golden Eagle.

Another feature is the lack of much of an arch on the top or back. Since it is laminated, the top/back appears flat.

They are very versatile tone-wise.

Guest HRB853370

I had both and sold them both, but then bought another 550 and I like it better than the 575 I used to own. I think I like the longer scale better and it just has the sound I like without any feedback issues.

Archived