Heritage Owners Club

Question regarding 170s' (Attn: Brent!)

davesultra

A question to those "in the know", I've never had an opprotunity to try a 170. How do they sit when on a strap? Does the neck tend to dive to the floor like on a G-brand SG? And does the neck kind of sit out like an SG? I've always found that on SGs' and Firebirds the first fret seems further away from my body when playing in a standing position. I understand that's because of where the neck joins the body is why it seems that way. Thanks for any insight.

I think the big butt on these guitars would prevent them from slipping like the SG.  They don't feel as long either. 

A question to those "in the know", I've never had an opprotunity to try a 170. How do they sit when on a strap? Does the neck tend to dive to the floor like on a G-brand SG? And does the neck kind of sit out like an SG? I've always found that on SGs' and Firebirds the first fret seems further away from my body when playing in a standing position. I understand that's because of where the neck joins the body is why it seems that way. Thanks for any insight.

They're a little awkward... when my 170 arrived it didn't have a strap button mounted. When I mounted it, I put it as close to the neck joint as I could on the back of the guitar,  as the horns on these guitars are symmetrical. If you were to mount the strap button on the horn and put a strap on, the neck would dive towards the floor. The way it sits now I can only describe as sort of floppy... because the strap button is centered the guitar tends to lean out away from your body. The strap button location and the massive amount of wood at the neck joint tends to make upper fret access somewhat of a chore, especially for me because the high "e" string is on top. I think that might be the reason why they were discontinued. It appears the design of the H-110 rectifies the H170 problems. Of course... your milage may vary.

Huh. I was going to say when I picked up Brents at the jam, I just started playing. Never really thought it sat funny, weird or anything like that. But then, I only played it for about 30 mins. Didn't really think about it much. Not like Sparky, who's obviously had to live with it a lot longer than my 30 mins!  :wink:

Huh. I was going to say when I picked up Brents at the jam, I just started playing. Never really thought it sat funny, weird or anything like that. But then, I only played it for about 30 mins. Didn't really think about it much. Not like Sparky, who's obviously had to live with it a lot longer than my 30 mins!  :wink:

Thats understandable. With your strumming arm resting on the guitar while playing its not that noticable. If you let both hands go

the guitar will tilt away from top to bottom. Maybe its different if strap-locks are being used... I dunno.

Thats understandable. With your strumming arm resting on the guitar while playing its not that noticable. If you let both hands go

the guitar will tilt away from top to bottom. Maybe its different if strap-locks are being used... I dunno.

That's the way my 535s do and it doesn't bother me a bit.  I kinda' like it!  :) 

That's the way my 535s do and it doesn't bother me a bit.  I kinda' like it!   :) 

I guess its that all my other guitars have side-mounted strap pins, so when I saddle up with the 170 it feels a little strange.

But then again, who doesn't like a little strange. I know I do.

I guess its that all my other guitars have side-mounted strap pins, so when I saddle up with the 170 it feels a little strange.

But then again, who doesn't like a little strange. I know I do.

You old lady told me that if you a an inch more you would be getting strange.  :angel:    Sorry, by Alabama law I had to say that. 

I sweat like a pig!  Look at the DVD.  The more space I can get between me and a fine instrument the better for both of us. 

the neck does want to dive a little, but it doesnt bother me.  whoever drilled the strap button on mine put it about 3 inches from the neck joint...it should have been farther forward, but its not bad

Archived