Heritage Owners Club

What's the history of the h-170

big bob

I didn't want to hijack punk kitty's for sale thread so I thought I would clutter up a new thread.

Here is the back line to the story. Punk kitty posted this in her thread. "No. This is not a factory 2nd. The first editions of H-170s are as thick as H-150s. The second editions are the same thickness as a H-140."

This seemed odd as all the thin bodied 170s I've ever seen have been the older ones with the sharp horns.

Then, when I checked the heritage website they have the current production 170 listed as only 1 1/2 " thick at the rim which would confirm what punk kitty thought. However my 170 custom, which Kate Flamm just made for me two years ago has one of the thickest rims of any Heritage I've seen, closer to 2 1/2. Now this might be because I asked if she would do an extra deep dish carve on the top, which she did but took two tries as on the first try they sanded all the way through the maple. Also in the new catalogs the 170 is listed as having a 2" rim. Funny the catalog and website are different. The Heritage website also has the current h-140 listed as having a 1/2" rim! I'm sure a typo.

So Heritage history buffs, what's the deal with the H-170. When did they start and end the first run? When were they thin with sharp horns? Why did they stop and start production so many times?

Who knows?post-463-0-77413100-1373283549_thumb.jpg

I don't think that the Heritage website has been updated in years. It still shows HRW pickups as an option on some models. They haven't been available in years.

As for the 170s, it's odd. My '85s have a 2 inch rim. They are as thick as my 150. My 97 has a 1.5 inch rim.

Archived